Login

russian armor

Royal Artillery Regiment

24 Oct 2016, 20:17 PM

I've been using this a lot lately in 4s or in 2s-3s against weaker opponents and/or guys who build lefh. Gotta say, im absolutely loving it. Now, it's not a super strong commander and the top muni ability is basically a "who needs munitions anyway" or "my mini map wasn't colorful enough" button.

Going anvil for the airburst with the bombing stuff through fow is great. pesky leigs standing on top of each other? airburst. mortars hugging each other and causing you grief? airburst. okw med truck sitting there looking pretty? airburst. lefh thinks he can arty you? hell no. airburst. spend munis on absolutely nothing except the airburst shells and keep them barking as soon as they come off of cooldown. occaisionally I pop the vision flares if im floating and need to find something to kill.

okw truck thinks it has a right to exist? call in a sexton. I never get more than two and usually just the one. get him as close as reasonable and fire away. im relying on firefly/6lber for AT and the firefly isn't cheap. usually 2 firefly by the end.

the only trouble im having is sometimes I have a bit of a lack of ai, but in those cases I usually just get another Vickers, or a centaur is I have the cap room. my goal isn't to beat them in the field so much as bleed them into submission.

this isn't my first choice, but it has been quite fun lately. paired up with a couple usf mates who one at least goes mostly ai centric and its great. 3x OKW and im going arty.

any thoughts/comments/suggestions?
14 Dec 2016, 11:43 AM

I'd recommend Vanguard or Special weapons.

Both have access to the Crocodile, which is pretty much immune to AT guns and kills every blob of overpowered infantry you can think of.
A well micro'd Firefly behind this beast is very hard to fight off.

If you really like artillery so much, I'd recommend getting used to making forward retreat points to constantly launch arty flare with an infantry section. You need the extra vision for scouting anyways.

And Special weapons is just good to have when your allies are getting wrecked by light vehicles lol
14 Dec 2016, 13:16 PM

Ability that can be used in FOW doesn't belong to the game
14 Jan 2017, 20:54 PM

Hoo Hoooooooooooo buddy. I do not have many things in this game that I really care about changing but this commander is one of them. It is frustrating because I love the idea of the commander (Valentine/Sexton have real potential to be awesome call ins) but, as it stands, it is really just sub-par... And for no good reason too. If Relic made some very minor adjustments to the commander then it could become totally viable. I will copy and paste my arguments from a post I made a while ago:

Solutions:
Lower the Valentine's CP requirement, vet requirements, and population cost:

The Valentine is an interesting and unique unit but it suffers greatly from coming out too late to be useful as a combat unit, being extremely difficult to vet up, and having a relatively high population cost due to its Concentrated Sexton Barrage ability. By bringing down the CP requirement to 4 a UKF player would be able to utilize the Valentine as an alternative to the Armored Car for the late-early game. In theory, this should also help the Valentine vet up more reliably, but it has such poor anti-infantry capabilities and is so fragile (rightfully so on both fronts) that the likelihood of bringing it up past vet 2 would still be impractical. Lowering the Valentines vet requirements, therefore, would reward players who micro it well and go a long way in helping its survivability later on. Reducing its population cost is a small change but would help greatly in its synergy with the Sexton.

Lower the population cost of the Sexton and change its vet 1 ability:
At this point, the Sexton is a viable area-denial unit but its current population (14) is just too high. By lowering its (and the Valentines) population cost down to 10 you will make both the units and the "Concentrated Sexton Barrage" ability much more viable. I suggest to also change the "walking barrage" ability on the Sexton because it has no practical use (especially since it is locked behind vet 1 and costs 50 munitions). It is far too slow to counter blobs or act as area denial and the shots don't do enough damage to cause problems for a line of structures. I believe the best alternative to this ability is a 3-shot "white phosphorous" barrage (no change to cost or vet requirement). This would further cement the Sexton as an area denial unit, allow it to be more versatile, and make it's role more unique when compared to the American Priest.

Replace the "Perimeter Overwatch" ability with "Precision Barrage:"
The 25-pound howitzers are good for area denial but they turn far too slowly and are far too inaccurate to reliably help defend the entire friendly territory (especially for 250 munitions). An easy, common sense, adjustment to this would be just to replace it with Precision Barrage. Precision Barrage would make perfect sense with the Royal Artillery Commander (even better sense than with the Advanced Emplacement Commander, in fact) and would give the UKF player a fast-acting artillery ability whereas Perimeter Overwatch would only feasibly be activated if the UKF player was floating extremely high munitions.

The Sexton is by far the most pressing issue, but I fully believe that if all of these suggestions were implemented then the Royal Artillery Commander would be a perfectly useful and engaging doctrine choice.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★