Login

russian armor

OKW - How to deal with british Advanced Emplacements?

5 Oct 2016, 15:47 PM

You know this one.

You rush the enemy, stall them for a while and even manage to deal some losses. Eventually you have to retreat, thinking you will come back and hit harder.

NOPE!

There's a Bofors there, and it's fortified.

Can't get close - you get shredded.
Can't hit with AT "why hello there, little OKW gun, sucks you are not immune to suppression!"
Maybe go indirect fire? You need at least 2 ISGs to match it's repair capacity. Or wait, a Stuka? Don't make me laugh...

Btw see that Outpost there? Behind the bofors, next to the mortar? Yeah it can repair shit. And buff it.

Maybe try with a tank then? Ok, you got a panther, nice. Buuut there's a QF there. And a Comet. WHAT?! And 2 infantry sections for the whole game, nothing else.

Obviously this little story is dramatised and overblown; it's not that big of an issue in 1v1s (though still annoying as fuck) but in teamgames it feels plain broken.

Is there any counterplay to this other than 'cover the whole sector with fire'? Any tips will help.
5 Oct 2016, 15:56 PM

Well its pretty accurate. But there is one thing this little charade is vulnerable too. Once the bofors is up, you instantly try to force it to brace. Wait for the brace to be on for around 10 seconds, then rush your entire army towards the bofors. The moment the brace ceases, you pummel the thing into the ground.

The thing is expensive, if he loses it, you will know he wil probably build another one, which will stall tanks further. Always have one doctrine with an artillery ability there, just in case someone goes advanced cancerous regiment of cancers.
6 Oct 2016, 02:56 AM

Ignore Bofors. Wait until you have a critical mass of tanks. Drive around emplacements and destroy British base. Win.
7 Oct 2016, 17:19 PM

Yes, I am aware of that, but that would fall in to the 'cover the whole sector with fire' strategy', as in overwhelm the enemy team with brute force.

However, that critical mass of tanks you speak of appears only by the time your VPs are almost completely drained. Not to mention the opponents have tanks of their own to deal with.

By the way the problem I described is exactly this: how to capture and hold a point guarded by a Bofors and its support? So suggesting I ignore the Bofors, while strategically sound, is not the answer to the problem. :)
7 Oct 2016, 17:42 PM

easiest thing is to keep the pressure up so that the bofors isn't in a spot where it can defend multiple key points (like fuel AND VP). if you get it to brace, a few incendiary grenades can do decent damage.

best thing to do is to work around it until you have armor that can deal. keep in mind that if he's building a bofors, mortar, and forward assembly in one spot he's devoting a lot of manpower to locking down a small portion of the map. if you can force him to attempt that insanity in a less-than-desirable location, you've won.
7 Oct 2016, 19:37 PM
Donator 11

2 ISGs is the easiest way to do prolonged damaged to emplacements. Never fire stukas on emplacements save them for the nearby support weapons. LEFH18 will make short work of them. I recommend counter battery if a mortar is in the area. Use JPIV attack ground. Last but not least...1. force emplacements to brace with indirect fire. 2. When over, use flares or recon. 3. Next, drop sector artillery. Goodbye sim city!
11 Oct 2016, 09:35 AM

Yes, I am aware of that, but that would fall in to the 'cover the whole sector with fire' strategy', as in overwhelm the enemy team with brute force.

However, that critical mass of tanks you speak of appears only by the time your VPs are almost completely drained. Not to mention the opponents have tanks of their own to deal with.

By the way the problem I described is exactly this: how to capture and hold a point guarded by a Bofors and its support? So suggesting I ignore the Bofors, while strategically sound, is not the answer to the problem. :)
TBH other than double LeIGs (which is slow and vulnerable to counter-battery fire) I don't think there's actually a cost-effective method of destroying a British SimCity once it's up. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that you're probably going to have to expend significantly more resources to destroy the SimCity than the British player is going to have to expend to defend it (Bofors emplacements and Royal Engineers are both cheap). So that's really why I suggested the base attack - and if the British player puts too much population into emplacements, it is a viable strategy (more as Ostheer imo, cause their tanks are cheaper, but still).

Only other thing I can think of is trolling around with the Sturmtiger. Sturmtiger's very good against SimCities. Oh yeah, and the LeFH.
11 Oct 2016, 10:46 AM

I think there are quite some options to deal with british emplacements especially when u play okw. You can use the LeIG, which is very effective vs emplacements as well as trying to rush it when the opponent uses brace. I'd also suggest to consider building a Walking StuKa since it's not only useful to damage the emplacements but also hit the infantry especially when gathered up in front of the forward assembly, which ultimately could be right behind the emplacements. You could also try to use a tank which outranges the bofors. Just let it shoot at the spot where the bofors stands. For that u could use a Jagdpanzer IV for example. I don't need to mention the Sturmtiger XD. Furthermore any kind of fire is effective to fight british emplacements. Maybe the Firestorm Doctrine comes in handy for that (never tried that so far). I'm not quite sure but I think the okw Raketenwerfer can outrange a bofors as well. Last but not least there are also off-map artillery abilities as well as doctrinal howitzers and Antitank Emplacements which can be used to deal with the brits.
Hope this was helpful.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS