Login

russian armor

[1v1] OST VS SU

27 Sep 2016, 19:49 PM

Hey, hopefully someone can take the time and look at this replay. I've lost games to similiar styled opponents, and I tought that someone here can see where is the point where i get destroyed.

Im the OST player, and after browsing trough a couple of these threads, ill lay out couple of points:

> The last 10-15 mins are pretty much deadweight, i got fuel starved and rushed by 3-4 t34s
> I'm aware, that I'm sloppy with micro outside of screen (units reinforce, idling units)

So, instead of focusing in these two things, i'd like some feedback on the early-midgame. Buildorder, mapcontrol and so on. I've played a couple of games in the last few days after a long break, and in everyone of them at around 20 mins the control of the game just feels like slipping out of my hands. Like, i get good wipes and strong mapcontrol early on, but cant capitalize on it. This has happened against SU and brits, with heavy emphasis on emplacements and fortification from the opponents.

So, pointers at what makes me lose the control of game, and what I should have done/ what counters i should have brought (before the part where im clearly pushed back to my base) = why Im so bad in this game that I lose the midgame and the game from there?

PS. The tone of the text might seem ungrateful/dismissing, thats not my intention.

29 Sep 2016, 12:25 PM

I'll take a look at it.
2 Oct 2016, 17:25 PM

General problems

T1 placement (placed behind HQ, and on Lost Glider, that's an 8 sec disadvantage).

Units not supporting eachother - they were standing still even when needed to balance out the fighting forces as you got outnumbered in the early game.

Too passive, even compared to Wehr's conservative playstyle - probably micro, most of their lifespan, your units were standing still as mentioned above. Doesn't matter, back at base, on the field next to an enemy point(!!).

Prioritize vehicle on ATGs - you could've killed his vehicles a lot faster if your PaKs would've been shooting them instead of the infantry.

Too focused, only fighting for mid VP, rarely going for sides - there are usually 3 VPs on maps. That's nice you got the mid VP, but you bled slowly.

Could've saturated church in mid most of the time with flame HT - he always used it and hey, you even got a mortar HT (which hasn't seen a lot of action or done a lot of good).

P4 could've been better instead of StuG as you had 2 PaKs - and there were no vehicles that you needed a StuG instead of a P4, he had a lot of infantry.

Pios not repairing (lot of damaged vehicles, 2 pio) - nice that you cap with pios, but you could do the following next time: while capping with pio, send the said vehicle to the capping circle so your pios can multitask.

Could've planted tellers as there are a lot of chokepoints on this map - and he was very aggressive with his vehicles.

Resource floating - not much to say, hoarding up 2k manpower, 200 fuel is not what you wanna do, you were at 70-75 popcap most of the time.

Never expose expose rear armor - he didn't even flank you, so there was no reason to show your P4's rear armor to 3xT-34s.

Micro is meh-meh - can't help with that, it's up to you how fast you can click :P

Time marked problems

3.30 min mark: Started to build a fuel cache, never finished it.

8 min mark: Could've chased down the sniper with your 222, as you saw that he went for sniper so it was a clear indication that he has no ATGs.

14 min mark: Saw the ATG in the middle but didn't flank with the 222 on the left side, late flank.

15 min mark: No heal bunker.

Overall: You played really nicely referring to gameplay, not involving micro. I think you need to be a lot more aggressive even with Wehr compared to this game. The other thing is the micro - use control groups if you haven't done that already. Watch Tightrope's micro tricks and tips videos :) That's all I can help with this.

Hope I helped!

Cheers :thumbsup:
4 Oct 2016, 17:24 PM

Thanks for reply!

> T1 placement
Never even tought about that!

>General micro problems
Its mostly just git gud - problem from my side (i might be biased, but somehow i feel that Wehrmacht demands more micro than soviets but hey, im just a shitter). I tend to get overwhelmed by loads of shit going on in and outside of screen. Mines are also completly underused by me, somehow i feel that i dont have the ammo for them. So yeah, git gud.

>Aggressiveness
Perhaps im playing aggressive wrong, but it feels pretty hard. Trying to fan out and take points after winning an engagement results in one of your squads getting swamped by soviet blob

>Macro problems
Again, pure git gud. I cant handle off/on screen at the same time.

>Chasing sniper with 222
I guess this comes down to not knowing what my opponent can have judging by his units. And my resource floating is pretty likely from not knowing what to do and what to buy at points of game, esp if im getting fuelstarved. Same thing with buying pz 3s, when i had paks and so on.

Lastly, what do you mean gameplay wise? As in general gameplan, or what?

But anyway, i feel that i have improved from this game. I'll look into the microtips, and try to squeeze a good gmae at some point. I assume its alright to just post another replay in this thread?
5 Oct 2016, 15:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Oct 2016, 17:24 PMEzuli
Thanks for reply!
>General micro problems
Its mostly just git gud - problem from my side (i might be biased, but somehow i feel that Wehrmacht demands more micro than soviets but hey, im just a shitter). I tend to get overwhelmed by loads of shit going on in and outside of screen. Mines are also completly underused by me, somehow i feel that i dont have the ammo for them. So yeah, git gud.

Well, against USF/SOV, 1 Teller is always MUST. Believe me, planting a teller for 50 muni, instead of upgrading one of your grens with LMG42 for 60 muni is a better choice. Place it on roads with the biggest traffic. If it kills a stuart/T-70 you got a much bigger advantage than killing a few models of infantry with the LMG. But I encourage you, to plant mines (most importantly Tellers, because with wehr, this is almost your only choice against light vehicle rushes. Paks get circled and so on.) as it deals 400 damage (most light vehicles have 400 HP, T-70 has 320 [but it has self-repair!]).

>Aggressiveness
Perhaps im playing aggressive wrong, but it feels pretty hard. Trying to fan out and take points after winning an engagement results in one of your squads getting swamped by soviet blob

Never fight a battle you can't win. If you see one of your troops somewhat isolated (meaning you can't send a few squads to even out balance of forces) just press retreat. There's no shame in it. Against blobs, getting 1-2 HMGs is a great idea. Protected by nearby troops can prevent them from being flanked. Protected by vehicles they can chase down retreating squads (and from mediums up to heavies can even crush easily the pinned squad [as it can't move away]).

>Chasing sniper with 222
I guess this comes down to not knowing what my opponent can have judging by his units. And my resource floating is pretty likely from not knowing what to do and what to buy at points of game, esp if im getting fuelstarved. Same thing with buying pz 3s, when i had paks and so on.

It's all up to you to learn every unit of every faction. It can greatly improve your play if you know how to deal with something. For instance, the moment when you got a StuG instead of a P4 when you already had 2 Paks. So that's not all about how to deal with something. It's also about knowing your army composition ad what you need. At that moment you needed more AI firepower as you had more than enough AT.

Lastly, what do you mean gameplay wise? As in general gameplan, or what?

I am referring to the points below:

- You were never too passive with your team weapons (you always moved/repositioned them when you had the chance) compared to your overall microing of units
- You knew what fights to take (most of the time, if you saw that :P)
- You had a firm plan what you want to do

But anyway, i feel that i have improved from this game. I'll look into the microtips, and try to squeeze a good gmae at some point. I assume its alright to just post another replay in this thread?

Not particularly in this thread. If you want to post a replay (I encourage you to do this if you want to know something!) create a new thread in the replay sections (like you did) :)

5 Oct 2016, 17:58 PM

Thanks man for taking the time!

I tought that i shouldnt clutter the front page, but hey, if its alright, ill start another thread if I get a decent game in.

Im focusing on mine usage right now, got a good game in agaisnt USF with pretty heavy usage on AI - mines.

- You were never too passive with your team weapons (you always moved/repositioned them when you had the chance) compared to your overall microing of units
- You knew what fights to take (most of the time, if you saw that :P)
- You had a firm plan what you want to do

Well, something good at least!

I'll look into the tips given to me and try to improve! Thanks again!

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 50
United States 13
unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak