Login

russian armor

[1v1] Wehrmacht vs US Forces

25 Sep 2016, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Hello again,

This time it is on Road to Kharkov. I feel that I played okay, then I made a bad push with my P4s and it went downhill from there.

Any advice would be welcome.
25 Sep 2016, 22:09 PM

Hello Atomic,

I'll take a look at the replay and see what I can suggest.

Edit: Okay, so early game you lost quite a few squads which hampered your transition to mid game. From there, my infantry overwhelmed you time and time again, even with double 222's.

In my opinion, you could have rushed the right hand side of the map with the double Panzer 4's and popped Tactical Movement to aggressively take command of that side; possibly cutting me off from my fuel. Alternatively, you could've waited and popped the Ju87G strafe when your tanks pushed, preventing me from counter attacking.

Just work on your unit preservation in the early game and that'll really help.

25 Sep 2016, 23:20 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Thanks DeathlySilent. I'll work on that.

Also I feel that I picked my commander too late. Any suggestions about commander timing?
25 Sep 2016, 23:38 PM

I mean, I picked my commander late as well. I only wanted a bit of recon at the time, and the "Easy 8's" didn't hurt to round out my composition. For only those two abilities, it seems more of a waste of a doctrine choice, but oh well.

Maybe take a look at your commander list and pick two that suit your style of play. Keep a third one open as a reactionary choice, such as Mobile Defense; something to counter the Osther weaknesses. Lighting War is a great aggressive doctrine if you use the abilities in cooperation with sweeping attacks.

I don't think you've actually made use of the doctrine though, which doesn't help. A Tiger would've been beneficial on a map like Road to Karkhov with many shot blockers to reduce my M36's effectiveness. With Pak40 support and Panzergrenadiers with Shreks, an armored push against it would be hampered.

It's good to pick later if you make good use of the abilities as a counter-pick, or even as an instant pick with an initial strategy in mind to throw off your opponent. It's really just personal preference.
25 Sep 2016, 23:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

My current line-up is mostly reactionary.
Mobile Defense if my opponent built multiple light vehicles and I don't have T3 teched.
Mech Assault is chosen if I have trouble with infantry by 7CPs, I sit on T2/T3 and stall for Tiger.
Lightning war is chosen if I see multiple medium tanks by late game, and I also stall for tiger (it didn't seem like a good idea with so many mediums on the field). Plus the relief infantry.

Are you suggesting that I pick Lightning War early-on?
25 Sep 2016, 23:46 PM

You can always give it a try. The G43's are really good for on the move accuracy and damage tied with Tactical Movement to keep up with armor support, make for powerful spearheads. We could always try it in a scrim if you wanted practice.
26 Sep 2016, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Thanks DeathlySilent!

Can I get an (official) Strategist's comments on my game as well?
26 Sep 2016, 12:37 PM

Thanks DeathlySilent!

Can I get an (official) Strategist's comments on my game as well?

Yes, will do it probably in about 2-3 hours it'll be worthy to send.
26 Sep 2016, 13:53 PM

Well, I try to summarize it.

Mostly the core of all your problems come from your lack of micro. I know that not everybody is an MLG fast clicker type so this is all on you if you can do it faster or be at this level.

The first problem is that you were too passive. Compared to wehr level you didn't take advantage that you forced retreat on almost all squads. Never / rarely capped any points. However I liked how you always repositioned your MGs when he threw a smoke. Oh and that you were careful with your 222s and poked at a safe distance.

The other thing is that your troops were standing idle most of the time. I can't help that, it's micro stuff. I guess you are using shift-queue ordering so you have to click faster :P

Your unit preservation was very low as DeathlySilent said. This is because you pick fights you shouldn't. Remember that abilities can swing a battle in your favor but you rarely used any mines / riflenades.

I would advise you to retreat your squads who are below 50% health until you improve in this section. You'll probably lose map control but having a vetted squad on the field later is a great difference.

Hope I helped!

Cheers :thumb:
26 Sep 2016, 14:44 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Thanks Danyek!
I'm trying to strike a balance, because before Hector told be I was way too aggressive, capping all over the place as soon as engagements were over.
What do you suppose would be a good time to push, and what window of opportunity do I have if I force a couple retreats?
26 Sep 2016, 15:12 PM

Thanks Danyek!
I'm trying to strike a balance, because before Hector told be I was way too aggressive, capping all over the place as soon as engagements were over.
What do you suppose would be a good time to push, and what window of opportunity do I have if I force a couple retreats?

First: CoH2 is not just a game where you send units to battle eachother. It's a mindgame. You don't just have to watch your own troops living to the late game but you also have to keep an eye on enemy units. If you "track" them and remember how many squads are retreating you can try to take 2-3 points.

Secondly: If you force back a few squads, let's say 50% of all enemy squads you can either try to force back the remaining squads or solidify the points you captured and think about what to do next, what the enemy will do next, etc.

If you force a mass retreat then you are free to roam the field to take points / set up traps (mines, barb wire on cover, etc) / dug in to defend your newly acquired frontline.

Last: Remember that Wehrmacht has the mighty weapon, the 251 HT which is not only good as an anti-garrison tool (with the double flamer) but in an unupgraded state it can reinforce your squads so you won't lose map control. Of course if you have low health squads it's better to run back and heal, but in most cases if you reinforce on the field you have the advantage as the enemy will still have to run back even to just reinforce.

27 Sep 2016, 01:45 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Thanks Danyek.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 6
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L