Login

russian armor

[1v1] OKW vs British forces

1 Sep 2016, 14:29 PM

Hello,

I'm quite new to the CoH series as I was always a starcraft player, and I'm noticing that I don't understand this game at all compared to other macro heavy RTS.
Here's a replay I would like feedback on, thank you in advance!
Even though I won I'm not quite sure what I did wrong that made me feel very "behind" the whole game. I've been able to secure most points on the map, yet I don't think I was able to take advantage of it, I wasn't sure what to make/mass. It also seems as if the enemy went afk for around two mintues, yet was still a huge threat.
Each fight seemed like I was about to lose it.

I'm sorry if asking for this before contributing in any way is against the rules, though I'm not sure how could I contribute considering I'm a total newbie in this franchise.
1 Sep 2016, 15:11 PM

Will look at it and give a review till evening.
1 Sep 2016, 15:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Sep 2016, 15:11 PMDanyek
Will look at it and give a review till evening.

Thank you very much!
1 Sep 2016, 18:38 PM

Hello! Watched your replay, so here's some roast.

For starting: STOP blobbing. It's for the weak. Blobbing only has disadvantages.

General problems

Micro

Units have greater accuracy therefore greater damage output if they are standing. Always issue attack move (A-move) to unexplored areas.

Unit capabilities / Unit utility

Be more aggressive with Sturmpios in early game. Get in houses before the enemy, etc.

Use sturmpio as a flanking / support unit, not a frontline fighter.

Don't fight lost battles. I've always saw that your units are fighting a 1v2 battle. Just hit retreat, it's less hurtful if you sacrifice a bit of map control than losing a squad.

On big maps, get kübel as it can quickly roam the battlefield and harass enemy points / capping your side of the map, while you can focus on the enemy's side with other units.

Cover

Cover is directional: It pays off greatly if you send a squad to flank the unit(s) in cover as all cover, except craters, only provide cover to one direction. Don't assault a unit in green cover with 2 units frontally.

Cover has a minimum range. It really has. There is a few (5-10) meters in distance if there's an enemy units, where cover doesn't give you the bonuses it otherwise would. Note that this doesn't apply to garrison cover. So if you rush down an infantry section in heavy cover, they'll still get their cover bonus (for their weapons) but won't get their cover bonus (for survivability).

Okay here's a simple one instead of the section: If you are in close range of an USF riflemen with a sturmpio, and there's only a stone wall between the units, it'll count as there is no cover between them. Hope it's a bit more clear.

Also note that OKW Obersoldaten IR STGs (in the Spec Ops doctrine) completely IGNORE cover.

Float

Don't float munitions - try to burn it with using commander abilities, or planting mines. Mines are always good, whether they are defensively or aggressively placed mines.

Advanced tips

Don't buy schreck for the sturmpio unless you see an enemy vehicle with your own eyes.

Check houses for enemy troops - if you click on a house and there's a yellow arc: there is a HMG in there (or a raketen in case of OKW), right click on a house with a squad selected and if the house flashes red an enemy unit is in there.

Awareness

Get a mix of Sturmpios against soviets and UKF (1 schreck and 1 sweeper), not double schreck, as the brit guy planted a mine on the road right in front of you.

Use cloak and prioritise vehicle on raketen, he could've rushed it with the royal engi and steal it.

Support tanks with infantry, never send them alone, you had 3! sturmpio, all of them on the other side of the map, while your P4 was at ~1 HP. Not to mention, sending tanks into the unexplored areas often means a tank with damaged engine (mines) / victim of an ambush.

Blobbing

Your biggest issue was blobbing the whole match. You'll find yourself completely rekted in the future by 90 munitions if you continue it. Only low skilled players blob, who can't focus on more than one place on the map.

If you have the proper units or abilities, you can destroy a blob in a matter of seconds, there is a lot of ways to do it. Stop it now, or learn by the hard way.

Commander usage

You chose Luftwaffe right at the start. I don't know if it was intended or not, you used 2 of the 5 abilities, so it wasn't worth it.

It's just me, but a commander is worth picking if you can / will use at least 3 abilities, but more like 4 of the 5.

Breakthrough would've been a better choice for Füsiliers with G43, Sturm offizier, faster decap ability and assault artillery (JT is not really worth it in a 1v1, if an enemy calls it in, you know you are doing something very badly).

Time marked problems

2 and 2.30 min mark: Volksgrens not in cover, almost died to triple section and the other died from late retreat.

3.15 min mark: If you ever see an enemy HMG heading for a house, deny it from entering by garrisoning your own troops. It has 2 advantages:

Firstly: Garrison cover for your troops

Secondly: Enemy can't use that house against you

4 min mark: Don't place your medic hq on the front if it's constantly shifting and it's not 100% secure

5 min mark: You still don't own your fuel point

5.30 min mark: A single squad is more than enough to cap a point, should've capped the cutoff point with the volksgren.

6 min mark: You saw the vickers entering the house much earlier on, yet you walked in straight to it's fire arc - see advanced tips

8 min mark: Great ambush on the full enemy force, should've planted a few mines on important points (cutoffs, VPs).

13.40 min mark: Should've built a P4 instead of an ober, as it could've given you a crushing force compared to your opponent (tanks can chase down retreating squads even into base sectors, where infantry get pinned).

21 min mark: Literally ALL your squads are pinned thanks to blobbing, by the way you have 300+ muni. Okay, a minute later you used the stuka pin + fallschirmjaeger drop combo ability.

Final conclusion:

You had a few great moments, and you played acceptable, but you must stop blobbing or in the future you will learn it the hard way, if an IDF (indirect fire) unit or a soviet / usf demo charge blows up your whole army. Oh, and be a lot more aggressive with OKW.

Hope I helped!

Cheers :thumb:
1 Sep 2016, 18:49 PM

Thank you so much, that explains many things that I completely forgot to take care of, or even think about.

I'll make sure to think twice before picking a commander, though as I've tried all of them, I often find myself not using the abilities correctly or at all.

I'll do my best to focus on what you've mentioned, and your posts explains many things which I wasn't sure about.

Thank you very much once again!
1 Sep 2016, 19:06 PM

Glad I could help!

Good luck to you on the battlefield! :thumb:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak