Login

russian armor

Looking for feedback on 1v1

25 Aug 2016, 03:25 AM

<copy paste from replay>
I am relatively new to 1v1 (play a lot of 2v2 and 3v3 as Allies), so I figured I would play as OKW.
I make some mistakes in this game and lose units I shouldn't have but overall this was an extremely close and long game.
On Langreskaya vs a Brit he had the upper hand most of the game before I managed to claw my way to victory.
Over course of the 51 minute game the entire map swapped hands multiple times.

Feedback would be appreciated to help me improve in 1v1

All in all was a very good game!(to play, my mistakes are probably cringeworthy to watch)
25 Aug 2016, 05:47 AM

Ok, I watched your replay.
It was a pleasant match to watch, even though there were a lot of mistakes since both of you were on an equal level it wasn't really boring to watch, particularly when somebody loses 3 Comet tanks in a row...

So as for the feedback, where to start...

You make a mistake in the first minute, you start by building a kubel, but then you send your sturmpio capture the fuel, while the kubel captures your first forward point(it should have been the other way around), this is a really bad choice, in result the brit got to capture the munition point and take control of a garrison near your base and fuel point, if you were playing against a better player he would have gotten a vickers behind there and it could even have been game.
But fortunately for you the game didn't end there as he let his IS alone without supporting it or make a connection the munitions to his base.
It was a useless encounter on both sides, you didn't gain the fuel either and you both lost time and models.

Now about what comes next, you get enough infantry and firepower to go on with capturing/fighting an enemy squad.
But you play too offensively, and you also blob too much, I'm not going to judge you on blobbing, each player has his style, but when you felt you had enough firepower, you rushed too far, and you eventually encountered his vickers, since you blobbed, you just retreated and left yourself open again, and he instead got to advance, there was no need to do that since your kubel already got a cut-off.

You should have drawn a line, build sandbags in the middle VP and east, try to push him back until you get a form of support (by either an MG, ISG or a Luchs), while you harass his fuel point, you lost an easy advantage.

At 7:00 the blob could have been fatal too, imagine if his mortars (for some reason he built two of them) hit your squads on the VP? You would have lost both of them.

Also you don't make good use of covers, rushing isn't good.

At middle game I noticed that you have enough MP but you bleed fuel and munition.
Consider the fact that you could have used your panzerfaust to snare his light tank, but you didn't get to do it.
And that is because you upgraded every squad with an STG, not a necessarily bad choice, but it's also a lack of micro as you didn't prepare for what comes next.
I think your munition loss comes from upgrading the sturmpios with a panzerschrek, try to think how was that a good thing and how much effective was that panzerschrek in the game?
If you had upgraded with a repair/hazard removal package you would gain a superior repair rate, and you needed a lot of it in this game, specially since you got very lucky with your Panzer HQ.

Not only this, but you also didn't build a single mine, big mistake for an OKW player.

Another reason you didn't prepare for what comes next is that you didn't get a raketen soon enough, and instead you built two jaegers, building two is a bad choice, and you ended up just wasting mp.

For the first jaegers, it wouldn't have been a better idea to spawn them near the vickers and capture the HMG?

Last thing, you chose your tank building order well, but your ostwind was a waste, you just let it stand there in front of the PIATs, piats don't hit things while they move, it was painful to watch you waste it so easily, try to avoid doing that, leaving your tanks still while they take damage.
25 Aug 2016, 06:50 AM

Yeah, blobbing is a mistake I made in this for sure.
Coming from a mostly allies player I am a bit unsure about using OKW so I resorted to that basic strat - I think it also stemmed from seeing a few inf units together and needing to maximise firepower against them (ignoring the mortars entirely despite being in range most of the time).

The bad first move again stems from my allied experience where first squad always goes furthest and subsequent squads back cap. A stupid mistake to make, but thanks for pointing it out I should be able to alter that very simple aspect of my game.

First ost was a definite fuck up for sure! Looked away
I had considered calling Jaegers on the Vickers (when in building) but from a glance around area I couldn't really see a suitable building that wasn't extremely vulnerable to the mortars - had no real intention on stealing it due to where it was decrewed. Was very vulnerable to mortar fire so crewing it (if unlucky) could have resulted in a loss of both the squad crewing and the newly formed crew. Maybe I should have though.

Shrecks on Sturms were a reserve choice in case something went wrong and my tanks were all dead at once, they were there for a desperate move.

My over offensiveness I think also stems from my very allied mind set of keeping the pressure up to bleed MP, my mind didn't really make the connection of being Axis so I was seeking to avoid a bleed.

I think overall my skill drops considerably going into 1v1 due to the upped ante and pressure on me as a player. I suppose more practice will make perfect eh?

Thanks for the feedback, I will try to apply it to my future games so that I can come away better in 1v1 and have a less disgustingly mistake ridden replay down the track.

That sneaky justification for my mistakes though...
25 Aug 2016, 07:52 AM

Thank you Cat for helping us with this one replay, really good review and I think even OP is glad for your help.

So once again thank you for helping him and us (strategists).

I´m closing this thread, if anyone have a urgent feel to review replays, there a tons of others awaiting for reviewing

Hector
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS