Login

russian armor

(2v2) OKW vs UK/ USSR

20 Aug 2016, 06:47 AM

Replay: https://www.coh2.org/replay/55860/for-review

Focusing specifically on my side, what could I have done to deal with that USSR player? I managed to take a building but didnt really got to hold onto it. He continued pushing my point, so while I held, I cannot really help my team mate on the other side.

My IGN was: Potato

(The 2 Obers were too little, too late. Maybe I should have used less flares and got them both MG-34?)

-----

Also, how to deal with that British emplacement/ sim city building start? A vickers in a building into quick mortar and quick bofor seems... rather difficult to counter.
21 Aug 2016, 10:15 AM

Just going to bump it a little since it seems like no one seen it.
26 Aug 2016, 09:03 AM

Will make a review about in a couple of hours.
26 Aug 2016, 14:05 PM

Hello! I've watched your replay.

Gonna point out the mistakes and what's good but can be better.

General problems

Interceptive thinking

Introduction: CoH 2 is not just about units capping points and fighting each other.

You should try to guess what commander will the enemy choose, depending on map, your faction, commander usefullness. He had Shock Rifle/ Guard Motor / Guard Rifle Combined Arms. It was clear, right at the start that he'll choose Guard Motor as it's a meta commander.

Bulletins work the same way most of the time. As bulletins give you a slight edge in battles, you can guess what will the enemy field or what won't. However, some players tend to choose bulletins to distract you about their plan.

You saw that the enemy had a bulletin for the penal battalion. They're tough guys to beat them with unupgraded volks at the early game. So try to lure them into baits, where you can outnumber and force away single penal squads.

Float

It's not bad, but you floated about 500 manpower and 150-200 muni at around the 5 min mark. You can lay down some mines, build team weapons to hold the rear territories and etc. Otherwise your resource management was good.

Unit capabilities / Utilizing units to the max

OKW has a whole arsenal of great units. You just have to utilize them correctly.

At the early stages of the game your Sturmpio just sat in a house totally idle waiting for something to happen. Don't be so passive with this great unit as it can deal easily with the echelons and soviet engineers.

There's an ability called "Salvage", it's your best friend. After you lost your kübels, you should've just salvaged them (for an overall of +10 fuel). It can be found on sturmpios, volksgrens and JLI.

To mention: After the july patch, Penal battalions got a huge buff to their accuracy and received accuracy. Since then volksgrens can't beat penals toe-to-toe. Always try to support them with a sturmpio that is closing in on them as they can't stand penals, nor even USF riflemen, not speaking of UKF infantry section 1 on 1.

When you saw the M3 you could've built a raketen to counter it. As the raketen can cloak, you could've just creep up on the M3, kill it and retreat.

And about retreat: I've often seen that you haven't moved your team weapons even when they get shelled constantly by the mortar pits. It's a deadly mistake and can cost you some of your squads.

Always! reposition your team weapons after a fight so enemy IDF (indirect fire) can't kill them in the first hit + you surprise the enemy if they try to get behind the place where they last saw it

Picking a commander

As I've seen during the replay, you didn't really use your commander. Unnecessarily picked Spec Ops. In a commander there are 5 different abilities that can help you win engagements, or the whole match. I've only seen the flare once and the grenade assault being used 2-3 times. You built Obers (it was not surplus, they just came a bit late) and not a single one of them got upgraded to the IR StGs. Not about the command panther, as you built T4 and couldn't afford one when the cromwell drifted in at your base. Choose a commander that can complement your forces to the maximum. Scavenge would've been a better choice, since the soviet guy didn't have any tank, and JLI excels at killing infantry. The ostwind is more like here to scare them away, but the 105 mm artillery could've helped tear down the soviet camping sites.

Know the meta

It really helps a lot!

If you want to be successful, you need to know what is cool nowadays. The most common allied commanders are:

Soviets: Guard Motor Coordination, Mechanized Support (and maybe Shock Rifle Frontline)
USF: Heavy Cavalry, Tactical Support, Armor Company
UKF: Vanguard, Mobile Assault and Tactical Support

As you can see, if you know the meta, you can clearly know what the enemy will do as the SU guys picked GMC.

Know the map

Knowing the map can help a lot. For example you could've easily got around the house at the fuel point to surprise the enemy. Don't worry it'll come after time, as you play more and more on the maps.

Bulletin usage

I'm not the one to judge, but here to help. To get the maximum out of your bulletins advantages is to choose the ones you can use from the start. I know that it sounds cool that your KT will get veterancy 10% faster, but see the bigger picture.

You picked a bulletin for the KT, panther and kübelwagen. From these units you only used the kübel. If you would've picked 3 volksgren bulletins or 2 volksgren and say 1 raketen bulletin you would've done much better right from the start.

Picking fights

Don't be ashamed if you have to retreat! It's an important part of the game. It's better to give up bit of map control than lose a hardly earned vetted squad. And don't try to play the hero - this isn't the game. If you see your troops being outnumbered by enemy forces, just pull back to a safer zone. I've seen a lot of times that your troops tried to be heroes as they stood alone against 2-3 units. This is a big mistake and often costs you a squad that maybe you can't replace.

Advanced team synergy

This one is mainly there to answer your question "how to deal with vickers in house and quick bofors / mortar"

Communicate, communicate, communicate. The most important thing in a team game is to share your intentions with your teammate(s). This way you can avoid going for double medic hq in a 2v2. As your mate went for medic truck, he should've purchased a few ISGs to deal with the emplacements. And as everybody knows, nobody wants to lose their emplacements, so after a few hits they activate the "Brace" ability. Then they can't shoot so you can walk up to them and throw a few incendiary grenades (they take extra damage from flame based attacks!)

And here's this: // Countering sim city tutorial //

OKW truck placing

You placed your T4 back at the base. Why? OKW T4 is the greatest passive light area denial (and it's free! you don't have to upgrade anything like the medics or repair pios). Just be sure not to lose it! The correct way to use it, is to let it cover a flank so you can actually push harder, but you can quickly repair it if needed, and covered from IDF :thumb:

Capping points - the alternative way

Try to cap territory points the way your enemy can't see what's capping the point. it gives you 2 advantage:

Firstly IDF can't automatically target the capping squad, so the enemy has to invest in some micro to barrage / attack ground the area and as he can't see where's your unit so he has to guess where to fire (it's very little chance that they hit the unit right at the first shot)

Secondly: you make the enemy guessing what is capping the point, so he might not try to send a unit there, or send a really strong unit, either way you win some time (e.g. : you are capping with an Ober and enemy sends a conscript, or you are capping with a kübel and the enemy sends a Guard)

Micro

Overall I say it was good. Here's some further tips to improve your gameplay:

In a fight always target the unit first that means the biggest danger to your forces.

You should have placed a few more defensive mines at main routes like the main road to prevent ambush from the sides.

Never place units on top of each other, especially not when there's IDF.

You had a few times when you could have pushed and pin them right at their base and help your ally but you didn't move your units forward. don't just camp a place! if you can, punish them for their overextension and push forward the frontline.

Need to use tac map, always concentrated on a single point, lot of units were idle for long, long times (often waited a lot for reinforcing).

// This can help //

Time marked problems

8.40 min mark: You destroyed the M3 with the Luchs, yet you bought double raketen. It's totally unnecessary, you could've bought a single one much earlier, but at that time it became useless. Since your opponent only had infantry, you could have built an MG 34 for better AI (anti-infantry) control.

11 min mark: You forced the enemy units to retreat back to their base, yet you didn't push forward. If an enemy is mass retreating you can punish them by capturing all of their territories. An MG at the cutoff point would have been really great, as it could have held the returning blob.

11.30 min mark: As a bad consequence for not pushing, you tried to pick the fight with a single vet 2 volksgren and a Luchs. Your MG was much further back, so it couldn't support them. A Luchs alone can't stop nor hold a guard blob.

13.45 min mark: You sent 2 vet 1 volksgren against 2 garrisoned vet 2 flamer penal and a flamer engi. You lost one, and didn't need much to lose the other either.

15.40 min mark: You could've easily destroyed that ~1 hp SU-76 with your Luchs, you had full AI backup against the guard and penal (MG and volks)

16.40 min mark: You lost a raketen crew to the mortar pits. See the "Unit capabilities" section

17 min mark: You should've followed your volk and ober with a raketen (this way you wasted 35 muni and a panzerfaust cooldown for nothing)

Final conclusion:

Overall you did good, but you must learn what fights to pick and be a lot more aggressive with OKW.

Hope I helped!

Cheers :thumb:

Danyek
27 Aug 2016, 04:40 AM

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 59
Poland 7

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W