Login

russian armor

[1v1]SUvsOKWcrossroads

13 Aug 2016, 23:11 PM

Really new with SU. Played about 8 games maybe, but don't have a sense really for how to approach them. Bought the top commanders from Tightrope invitiational and copied buildorders from there, but Im not doing well. Constantly retreating and bleeding mp; no sense of when/what to tech.

Just need some foundational info to get off the ground here. Thank you!
25 Aug 2016, 07:49 AM

I will look at it, but I think it won´t be sooner than tommorow cause there are so many replays to review (so if anyone want to do this instaed of me, youre free to do it, if no I´ll review it tommorow)
25 Aug 2016, 10:25 AM

Hello! I've watched your replay.

Prepare for roast, this is gonna be long.

General problems

Interceptive thinking

CoH 2 is not just about units capping points and fighting each other.

You should try to guess what commander will the enemy choose, depending on map, your faction, commander usefullness. He had Fortifications / Luftwaffe / Feuersturm. It was clear, right at the start that he'll choose Luftwaffe as Feuersturm is not that good since the map doesn't have a lot of houses. Fortifications maybe, but seeing his playstyle clearly said that he won't pick that. However bear in mind that this doesn't work always! It can give you an edge in what you can and can't expect from the opponent.

Bulletins work the same way most of the time. As bulletins give you a slight edge in battles, you can guess what will the enemy field or what won't. However, some players tend to choose bulletins to distract you about their plan.

You have seen the enemy going for medic HQ, but still got an AT gun. Don't fear, AA HT is so bad, that only mazochists buy them. You could've built a mortar to slowly tear it down.

Munitions usage

No matter the buffs, soviets rely heavily on MINES. You planted 1 mine at about the 5 min mark, where the triple volk walked into it -> great advantage for you. Sadly you didn't plant any more mines nor demo charges, that could've secured an easy win for you as the OKW guy blobbed almost the whole match.

You always floated 200+ munitions. As you chose the Shock Rifle commander, you barely needed any munitions for abilities and unit upgrades.

REMEMBER! Most soviet stock units don't have upgrades that cost munitions. You can spend that muni on mines and other toys.

Unit capabilities

Know your enemy: try out other factions to know their strengths and weaknesses.

I've seen a lot of times in this replay, that you let the Sturmpios reach close range. Deadly mistake!
If a Sturmpio reaches close range against weaker soviet units (e.g. : engineers, conscripts) IMMEDIETALY retreat, otherwise they'll mow down your squads.

Your conscripts can build SANDBAGS. These things are the cheap man's fortress. It's free, it gives green cover etc etc. Especially in early game, when there isn't much to do, and capping a special point (fuel or muni) build sandbags while capping. It takes so much more time to cap a special point than a standard that you can easily build one. Retaking these points will be easier later if you do this. Try to position them at the point's flag, so your enemy can't use them.

Try to have squads near each other, in need of helping the other units from being outnumbered (don't have 2 squads capping the 2 totally different sides of the map).

Conscripts have really bad accuracy. I've seen a few times that your double conscripts got beaten by a single volk in long range fights. Against long ranged units, try to get closer from cover to cover to minimuze casualties.

A great plus is that you didn't use your maxims too passively like a lot of players. Big big plus, really. Sadly I can't say the same about the AT guns.

You built a lot of infantry and then started to bleed so badly you couldn't afford to do anything. One time there were 4 units in your base waiting for reinforce (1 shock, 3 cons). Merge the conscripts to avoid further bleed. You wouldn't have lost any map control this time.

Later you always tried to engage P4s with shocks -> a smoke grenade does nothing against them, they weren't screening for ATs as you left them at the back

Always support your AT guns (never move them alone, you lost them a lot of times because of this).

Micro

During the match, I've seen your units standing idle a LOT of times. You concentrated too hard on only 1 place on the map, totally forgetting about your other units. Use the tactical map. Tightrope released a video about correctly using it.

// Watch this //

You should try to focus down units with lower health during fights (you always let them fight automatically, thus they always attacked the healthiest squads).

Time marked problems

8.40 min mark: Unnecessary rush for single volk capping fuel, shocks walked past double volk, could've easily mowed them down

9 min mark: Tried to fight double volk on almost full hp on long range with shocks while sitting on the fuel point (points get decapped automatically when units couldn't finish the cap). Tried to rush them when shocks were at 4 man, half health, unnecessary mp bleed

10 min mark: Already bled so much, that you had 200 fuel but no manpower -> couldn't rush out a T-70

15 min mark: You could have destroyed medic HQ with ZiS, because enemy couldn't break out from base

16 min mark: Lost 4 models of shock because didn't retreat when OKW T4 started shooting at them and got supressed in matter of seconds

16.40 min mark: You forgot to finish T3

18 min mark: Even a single T-70 was the worst possible idea, not speaking of a double T-70, you saw the T4 you should prepare for a P4 at that time

20 min mark: Capping your fuel with conscript and maxim (maxim should have capped the VP)

24 min mark: KV-8 was a really bad idea, you had more than 13 CP so you should've called in an IS-2 -> again, think what your enemy may bring out, you didn't see anything more than a P4 in terms of armor, you didn't have any tanks, so a second P4 was ideal for him securing enough AT while giving enough AI

26 min mark: 4 OKW squad capping upper VP -> a demo would've been the greatest thing

28 min mark: Vet 3 cons died at mid VP, should've retreated them (stood in front of a P4, totally alone)

29 min mark: Should have retreated the shocks when you saw the P4 (infantry without any backup AT is dead against a tank if you leave them)

32 min mark: You were |_| that close to a tide turning IS-2 but you called in another shock

Final conclusion: You throw away everything for the mid VP to win (you had 300 points, had enough time to build up an army, capable of dealing with OKW).

Overall I think you did fairly well at the beginning, but you should be a bit more aggressive with soviets. Oh! And plant mines! ;)

Hope I helped, cheers ! :thumb:

25 Aug 2016, 13:10 PM

Thank you Danyek for helping us.

I can close this thread if OP is happy with your review. Bighustle ?
25 Aug 2016, 13:26 PM

I'm happy I could help you out, will continue if needed and appreciated by the players :)

I tried to give a comprehensive explanation what could be better next time :)

Cheers to everybody ;)
25 Aug 2016, 14:27 PM

Whoops, somehow created another copy of the first post, just ignore this :help:
26 Aug 2016, 21:41 PM

Hector, go for it man. This bad boy was from a few weeks ago but Danyek thank you for the feedback.
26 Aug 2016, 22:53 PM

Bought the top commanders from Tightrope invitiational and copied buildorders from there,
Just need some foundational info to get off the ground here. Thank you!

don't do that, the retards you find in automatch play a lot different from the meta high level.
27 Aug 2016, 09:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2016, 22:53 PMzerocoh

don't do that, the retards you find in automatch play a lot different from the meta high level.

Yea they play a lot different but if you stick to top tier builds and only change 1-2 things to counterbuild him when he done some stupid units
27 Aug 2016, 09:46 AM

Just don't try to play the meta at lower levels. Let them play their strategy and build up your own strategy around countering them.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 66
Poland 9

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment