Login

russian armor

CoH 2 the Single Player What the ...

• This thread is locked
PAGES (3)down
23 Jul 2013, 08:52 AM

Being russian, the single player's story-telling kinda feels a bit ridiculous. Though I dont feel too much frustrated about it, cuz i've bought the game only for the multiplayer experience, I still dont get why Relic didnt hire some adviser (pretty sure there are a lot of ppl who would be willing to do this even for free) on the soviets campaing at least to avoid such fails as the name of the main hero which sounds laughable in russian. On the other hand, this can be easily undertood, as the game is aimed mostly for western gamers.
23 Jul 2013, 09:19 AM

Permanently Banned
Germans have had to deal with stigma in games for generations.

Deal with it. Atleast West Europe was liberated, whereas East Europe fell under a Soviet hell of oppression and suppression for another 60 years.

Nazis where, deservedly, annihilated. Same cannot unfortunately be said of the Soviet regime. I understand celebration of "The Great Patriotic War", in recognition of the immense suffering and sacrifice of the Soviet peoples, but unfortunately the Soviet Union that took advantage of their sacrifice, was little better than the Nazi government.

War is hell, and no nation passed through WWII without some shameful and criminal acts.

US nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as another horrific case in point.
Brits sacrificing their youth in trench warfare throughout WWI and their conduct towards conquered indigenous populations.
Finns trying (insanely) to form a "Great Finland" by invading areas east of Finland.

The list is endless. Nobody makes it through war with dignity intact.

War has precious few heroes. As they say, "the good die first".
23 Jul 2013, 09:41 AM

As for german campaign in coh1, there's nothing really to be surprised of. The impression of a heroic feel is quite accurate and explainable. I've read some extracts from the diaries of german soldiers invading USSR. They all thought they're were fighting monsters to provide prosperity to their own people. and that's a simple brainwash Hitler was so good at.
23 Jul 2013, 10:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jul 2013, 09:19 AMNullist
Germans have had to deal with stigma in games for generations.

Deal with it. Atleast West Europe was liberated, whereas East Europe fell under a Soviet hell of oppression and suppression for another 60 years.

Nazis where, deservedly, annihilated. Same cannot unfortunately be said of the Soviet regime. I understand celebration of "The Great Patriotic War", in recognition of the immense suffering and sacrifice of the Soviet peoples, but unfortunately the Soviet Union that took advantage of their sacrifice, was little better than the Nazi government.

War is hell, and no nation passed through WWII without some shameful and criminal acts.

US nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as another horrific case in point.
Brits sacrificing their youth in trench warfare throughout WWI and their conduct towards conquered indigenous populations.
Finns trying (insanely) to form a "Great Finland" by invading areas east of Finland.

The list is endless. Nobody makes it through war with dignity intact.

War has precious few heroes. As they say, "the good die first".

While in general I would agree with the sentiment, I do think that the intent behind the conflict for the participant nations does make a big difference and that many ordinary people who perform heroic acts could be considered heroes. Germany and Japan were the aggressors and that shouldn't be forgotten, even if other nations stained their reputations in different ways as the conflict progressed.

Also remember that much of the propaganda behind any war is to dehumanize your enemies. This makes it easier to treat them inhumanely. The Nazis were very good at this but certainly weren't alone. If you object to the depiction of individual German soldiers as heroic (or at least sympathetic) within the broader conflict then you are equally guilty of seeking to dehumanize them.
I don't have a problem with a Wehrmacht campaign because they were mostly just normal soldiers fighting for what they believed in and many of them were unaware of the true extent of the horrors perpetrated by their leaders, indeed members of the Wehrmacht were behind the assassination attempt on Hitler.

My gripe with the campaign is more to do with the format of single player missions in RTS, where you have no control over what resources you or your opponents have access to and I find that more frustrating than not.
23 Jul 2013, 19:16 PM

maybe dlc will fix all the issues ;D
27 Jul 2013, 00:36 AM

Guys.. wish you could all understand what he is saying here..
so SO stop on!...

http://carambatv.ru/movie/bad-comedian/company-of-heroes-2/

also great read....

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/25/4553536/is-company-of-heroes-2-anti-russian
27 Jul 2013, 01:44 AM

Guys.. wish you could all understand what he is saying here..
so SO stop on!...

http://carambatv.ru/movie/bad-comedian/company-of-heroes-2/

also great read....

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/25/4553536/is-company-of-heroes-2-anti-russian

I don't speak any Russian, but most western countries regard communist as red Nazism, they made a game of their own images of soviet union which is logical from their point of view, but if you want the game sells well, you'd better consider not insulting a huge group of ppl
27 Jul 2013, 01:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2013, 01:44 AMUGBEAR

I don't speak any Russian, but most western countries regard communist as red Nazism, they made a game of their own images of soviet union which is logical from their point of view, but if you want the game sells well, you'd better consider not insulting a huge group of ppl

Well from the Polygon article (which referenced a historian), we can only conclude that people got insulted for no other reason apart from a biased nationalistic video.

Anyone should know that it is and will always be impossible to study history objectively. The best that we can do is with the physical evidence that exists and not many people can access this.

And about random videos, does anyone remember Kony2012 campaign that outraged people for no apparent reason? Same story here. Maybe we'll call it "the Kony reaction" or something haha
27 Jul 2013, 02:13 AM

"I am an American and our history books and movies are better than yours!! Read our history books and learn something, it's the truth! Oh yeah, also read the internet!!"

-some people on the forum

Seriously?
This is how we get campaign stories like these where game developers create their own fiction and are apparently so deeply involved in it that they confuse them with a large picture of the events and believe that their own made-up storyline make them classified historians.

Lets see here... not a single Historical Adviser in the credits. Great!
So here is a quote by their Campaign Supervisor, before the game came out:

"We don't spend too much time on the sensitive issues of political ideology," lead campaign designer Jasen Torres told Eurogamer in an interview.

Yeah, not too much time, just all of it.
27 Jul 2013, 02:14 AM

Can we merge all these stupid threads into one? I'm sick of them shitting up the forums, not everybody cares what all you Soviet fanboys think.

As for what I have to say on this, you can take a look at my Sig/Avatar.

Communism was a bigger threat to the world than Nazism ever was, and if you needed proof all you need to do is look at the post-World War II shitstorm Stalin insured happened. I wish the Americans went on with Pattons plan. That is, armed the Germans, make them an army and go to war with that disgusting abomination called the Soviet Union.
27 Jul 2013, 02:21 AM

blahblahblah

Communism was a bigger threat to the world than Nazism ever was, and if you needed proof all you need to do is look at the post-World War II shitstorm Stalin insured happened. I wish the Americans went on with Pattons plan. That is, armed the Germans, make them an army and go to war with that disgusting abomination called the Soviet Union.

A bigger threat to the world than Nazism? And your proof for that is the post-WW2 Europe? The one free of Nazi rule, right??
What did you think Germans were going to do if Russia surrendered? Send flowers to everyone????
Holy shit don't type in this forum anymore

27 Jul 2013, 02:33 AM

A world replaced with nuclear proliferation, a dictatorial rule of Eastern Europe, 4 decades of conflict as a result of Communism.

Yeah.

Russia started World War II. With Germany.

Russia waited across the river while the Germans massacred hundreds of thousands of Poles so they could move into Warsaw and put in place a Communist government.

Russia stopped two assassination attempts on Hitler.

Russia committed genocide against the Kulaks.

Russia was ruled by a single dictator.

Communist states have only ever survived throughout the decades through inciting fear amongst their population of some foreign enemy. A lovely way to brainwash the Nationalists, and I see how easily it has carried over to today.

Trotsky was allegedly "collaborating with the Nazis". So were Zinoviev, Kamanev and Bukharin.

Vyshinsky rather convieniently turned out to be a criminal aswell.

Sergey Kirov, the only man to stand up to Stalin in the national assembly, he happened to fall onto a few bullets.

Death toll under Communist Stalin; 60 million

Death toll under Nazi Hitler; 15 million

Tell me, what is so different about the Communists and Nazis? I'd love a breakdown about how different they are.

Turns out, they're not really all that different after all.

Nazi Germany and the USSR were both filthy dictatorships. The only reason the West didn't go to war with Hitler earlier was because of the disgusting Communist ideologies.

It's great that the Germans lost the war. It's just terrible they didn't take the Bolsheviks with them.

27 Jul 2013, 02:42 AM

Enough with the political discussions.

Apart from Order 227 and the execution of partisans (who in my book, aren't civilians anymore) this game is NOT POLITICAL.

To those who pretend that it is, you're probably just looking for reasons to get offended. I'll give you a tip, except if someone wants something from you or you make very valid points, no-one cares if you're offended or not - especially considering how that word is banded around to shut people up about anything these days.

Can the admins please lock this thread? I've just had it with the Metacritic crowd turning this game into a Political Discussion.
27 Jul 2013, 02:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2013, 02:21 AMDmeets

A bigger threat to the world than Nazism? And your proof for that is the post-WW2 Europe? The one free of Nazi rule, right??
What did you think Germans were going to do if Russia surrendered? Send flowers to everyone????
Holy shit don't type in this forum anymore

Well, if Britain surrendered, they would have been an ally of the Axis, and I'm assuming the USSR would fall eventually due to this for all the resources to be expended on the Eastern front.

In my opinion, Hitler was the #1 organism in the universe. He was the most loving, caring, and logical man that has ever existed. If the Nazis succeeded, I'm 100% sure that the world would live in unison with each other over the ruins of the old, savage, capitalistic societies that once lived on them.

I'd imagine Hitler would have turned the United States into a giant swimming park for the Hitler youths to vacation to. Hitler would leave Mexico as a giant toilet like it already was. Canada would probably be the biggest indoor skating rink ever built. That's most likely what Hitler would have done with North America.

I'm sure Hitler would have left South America as the 2nd largest toilet ever built.

As for Europe, there would be no more crowdedness. #Lebensraum4every1

Asia would most likely be turned into a giant indoor swimming park. The biggest one that ever existed.

Australia would be a giant farm for kangaroos. Hitler would have replaced automobiles with kangaroos, because kangaroos are the most efficient way of traveling.

Africa would be left barren, because you would be able to still smell scent of starvation everywhere.
27 Jul 2013, 05:52 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalplan_Ost
27 Jul 2013, 06:45 AM

people who are angry really need to get over it quickly or leave- whats done is done, relic can't do anything to fix it and complaining will get you no where.

The fact of the matter is you're complaining about a fictitious story, that means its not real- it never happened.
Get it?
Thats like calling 1984 by George Orwell racist because it portrays post-war British people as brainwashed minions
27 Jul 2013, 07:21 AM

Obvious Propaganda in games has become very common since the airport level in cod MW2. Its sad to see that Relic/Sega have also drank the western snakeoil, however, you shouldnt be supprised.
27 Jul 2013, 07:41 AM

people who are angry really need to get over it quickly or leave- whats done is done, relic can't do anything to fix it and complaining will get you no where.

The fact of the matter is you're complaining about a fictitious story, that means its not real- it never happened.
Get it?
Thats like calling 1984 by George Orwell racist because it portrays post-war British people as brainwashed minions

What's done is done, indeed. This is a way of making sure it doesn't happen again.

How does your example even work? WW2 isn't some fictional book, the events were very real.
Also: "British" isn't a race.
27 Jul 2013, 07:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2013, 07:41 AMDmeets

What's done is done, indeed. This is a way of making sure it doesn't happen again.

How does your example even work? WW2 isn't some fictional book, the events were very real.

So what you're saying is there is no way fiction could exist that's based on World War II.

Relic have said themselves - the whole campaign was largely based on a book written by a russian soldier.
27 Jul 2013, 08:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2013, 07:41 AMDmeets

God you're thick, WW2 can be fictionalized just like anything else.
PAGES (3)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS