Login

russian armor

Ostheer player struggling to learn USF

30 Jul 2016, 04:27 AM

I'm originally an Ostheer player and jumped over to learning USF and its pretty much futile... I just don't get how to use this faction. I can easily predict what the Ostheer player is going to do next, yet I still get rocked.

Can someone please breakdown this matchup and how to approach it? Whether its going Lt or a Stuart rush, it just doesn't happen for me.
30 Jul 2016, 04:34 AM

Add me on Steam, Justin xv. I play tons of USF and we can talk about your strategy and counters.

Also, it's best to post a replay on this thread so people can leave some quick tips and critiques on your games!
30 Jul 2016, 05:19 AM

What game modes do you play?
30 Jul 2016, 06:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2016, 05:19 AMUnited
What game modes do you play?

He plays mainly 1v1s.
30 Jul 2016, 06:55 AM

First of all, welcome to the good guys! (LUL)

If you have already mastered Ostheer and you clearly want to put that tactical knowledge to good use, first of all you should start with 3 Riflemen, as tempting as it's to get an early mortar to harrash the MG42, you want those 3 squads in the field ASAP as learning to make the most of Rifles is key to play USF well.

That said your main goal as USF, specially against Wehrmacht, is to cause as much chaos as you can securing a VP lead, disconnecting their resources whenever possible and trying to steal their awesome support weapons, I'd recommend you stick to the Captain for now since LT play leaves very few margin for error as the M20 and .50 cal can handle the 222s but it's much easier to just get Cap for the much sturdier Stuart and safe bet that is the 57mm AT gun, once you start getting more used to USF you can go back and try the LT, after your light vehicle and getting Amby, Weapon Racks and Grenades, you want to get a Major and a Sherman as soon as possible, many dislike the Sherman but I think learning how to use it is important, as they will make the most of your mid to lategame armored forces if you only have the basic commanders, they can do a lot of damage to infantry by default, specially with their .50 cals and can handle tanks if they flank them or swarm them, it's important to learn their limits and get the most of their popcap "feature" and self-repair.

Vs Ostheer is It's very important to maintain field presence as USF, as getting back land lost after the enemy Wehr setups Pak40s and MG42s can be a daunting, resource intensive and possibly dangerous task, making most out of your glass cannons by being agressive can easily get them killed or make you bleed too much manpower, with time and if you know the enemy well as you should, you will learn how to come out ahead in trades with the enemy.

That's a good wall of text to start this thread, Americans are a very fun army to play as, but they will ask you to be agressive with units that can die very easily so learning their limits is important and that only comes with experience.
30 Jul 2016, 09:41 AM

Maybe giving us replay at what situation you suck, could help us all
3 Aug 2016, 02:37 AM

Played em today and got my ass handled properly by wm et okw (both real early in the game).

Vs wm i don't know how to handle mg spam. can't flank em, can't smoke em with nade. If i do they just move (or u are suppressed by another). if spam smoke u lose all ammo & have no ammo to tech riffle (u lose fuel aswell). mortar is ok if they are in house but barrage is trash (it get some nice shot if u have vision tho). smoke barrage with mortar maybe good in place of smoke nade. maybe i'm not spreading my riffles, yet again if spread too far they get rekt by sturm. if u lose fuel to mg (or do made + weapon) the game is lost (222 hit the field like if they were free or smith ^^). when 222 come u got nothing to deal with it (zooks never in range, vet 1 at nade is a joke, he may not pass on those 60 ammo mines nicely planted).

more or less same shit with okw, i get outpowered by his infantry (try to get close to em since everyone say gren are weaker close but it's kind of random) or/and kubble cutting off (a kubble took a double zooks and left without engine damage). captain's nerd make him nearly useless (nice ability but dat's all?). if ATgun field soon enough it's not effective cuz we can't hit a ATnade on luch. At best luck will avoid ATgun and bleed you happily somewhere else (often near some shotblocker and u can't move ATgun or u could lose him to some sturm popping from FOW.

I usually lose every early engagement (like the 1st time u meet enemy) and get snowballed from there.

I understand that i'm doing smth wrong but no idea what (can't remember how i played b4). i hope this thread will point some leads. didn't watch casting of current usf meta (it take lot of time and i was busy getting assraped by luchs).
3 Aug 2016, 07:38 AM
Donator 11

Based on your description (and also being a primary ost player trying to play usf) I would make the following couple of suggestions.

Early game - hunt the sturm pios with your first two rifle squads. When you meet kite them with one squad whilst the other kills - If he switches target kite with the other squad.

RE: MG's I you think there is one attack with 2-3 squads spread out and force retreat. If you then 'discover' two or more support than you can handle - simply leave them and cap / attack everywhere else on the map and force him to move units across to counter you stretching his defence. When he's spread out a bit and you have a couple of other toys mass attack the position again.

Its like playing a good football (soccer) team defence - you have to pull them around until a hole opens up.
3 Nov 2016, 06:00 AM

Sorry to revive the thread. But I'm also trying to learn the USF as a CoH1 whermacht player.

I think the key to make the transition from the ostheer to the USF it's understanding the way each army works.

Riflemen are the key. They have 5 men, each armed with semiautomatic rifles (higher rate of fire), can be upgraded to use frags and smoke and they can equip BAR's and/or Bazookas, with veterancy 1 they have access to AT rifle grenades that can criple medium tanks and finish anything below that. You need to tech up (and delay vehicles) to have a hmg

The german Grenadiers on the other hand have 4 men per squad, use bolt action rifles (lower fire rate but better efectiveness at longer distances), they can use panzerfausts the same way as rifle at-nades. By upgrading to tier2 they only recieve the antipersonel rifle grenade. They can also equip lmgs that requiere them to be stationary.
To get PzShreacks they need to field panzergrenadiers and cripple their anti-infantry power. But you can field mg42s in tier0

Americans rely on manouvers as each rifleman on it's own its a really nice fire plataform. Germans rely on positioning as their units have more specific roles and lower numbers.

So you have to move your riflemen with enough space for them to support each other and avoid getting supressed by machineguns. The ostheer relies on the mg to keep the americans at bay so the grenediers can pick them up as they deal more damage at long range. If you screw the german positioning you are dictating the rules of the battle and they have to adapt with a more rigid army.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 33
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment