Login

russian armor

Ostheer just hard

28 Jul 2016, 23:06 PM

Getting pretty low on ideas here as to how I should play Ostheer.Whenever I play Ostheer, I have the feeling that every faction is more superior than Ostheer itself. Whenever I play vs Ostheer, I know I can easily beat them with a few strategies, which they can hardly counter. The problems I really need advice for are the following. I am having so much fun with the Allied factions, OKW is fun too, Ostheer just isn't fun. It feels like an uphill battle from the start every single time.

Guards Motor
Guards Motor pretty much owns anything Ostheer can field. Your 222s get countered by guards, your static units get countered by heavy mortars, your medium armor gets hardcountered by guards with su76s and marked target, and your heavies get countered by su85s or T34-85s plus marked target. I can't seem to beat this strat when I face a player that is of equal skill, or better. I can't seem to lose vs an equal player when using Guard Motor, it is just so solid now that the base USSR units are good.

Double Bren tommies and Brit cancer
Although their early game is pretty lackluster, a good vickers rush for an important garrison combined with multiple tommie squads can keep Ostheer at bay in the early game. This is then followed up by either a fast AEC or a morter pit that can pretty much turn your life upside down as Ostheer. If gone for a mortar Then the double Brens come out and your grens, pgrens etc are outclassed in every way. Simply get a 6 pounder or two and stall into a comet and go from there. Pretty much nothing Ostheer can do against that without major efforst, while the Brit sits there without any intensive micro efforts. Now a 222 or two can do wonders at first, but soon you will feel the full extend of the damage that was done when giving up some of the map to the British player.

USF and captain rush
A horde of riflemen comming at you from all sides. There isn't much else to fighting USF then this. You can't fight riflemen in the early game reliably without giving up ground, since your grens can't match them. You have to yield ground or get totally overrun vs an equal or better player. Then the captain comes out and a Stuart follows very quickly. Your 222s have only the slightes of windows for oppertunities. After you may or may not deal with the Stuart, the double bars come out and your infantry will be even more futile against the riflemen horde. Then this will stall into either a sherman, or a jackson. The latter wil keep any medium armor you have at bay whilst the infantry horde will slowly grind you down.

Maps
Most of the maps strongly disfavour Ostheer and favor a more maneuverable playstyle, something Ostheer can't afford in the early game vs any potent player. This kind of play will be punished vs any potent player.

aaa
29 Jul 2016, 01:47 AM

if oh is hard for you its l2p isuue. its eisieast most noob-frendly faction by far. With cheapest teching where you can get 3 diferent light vehicles while oponent only teching and have none.
29 Jul 2016, 03:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2016, 01:47 AMaaa
if oh is hard for you its l2p isuue. its eisieast most noob-frendly faction by far. With cheapest teching where you can get 3 diferent light vehicles while oponent only teching and have none.

3 different Light vehicles? Are we considering the doctrinal one too or what?

Also, most noob-friendly faction? I'm sorry but that position is for Advance Cancer Regiment Brits.

The main reason why OH seems difficult to play compared to other factions is due to their lack of survivability. Most of their infantries and vehicles are great, have good utilities but very fragile. Probably that's why you have to be very defensive as OH, but with the Brits existence where they have all those fancy, more superior weapons and blobbing being an important aspect of the game now, the conventional OH "heavily rely on team weapons" just seems really hard to help you win the fight.
aaa
29 Jul 2016, 03:43 AM

2 222 and 251
29 Jul 2016, 04:57 AM
29 Jul 2016, 06:20 AM

I have experimented a lot lately with having 2-3 grens with Gewehr 43 or LMG 42 clumped together into a long range killing machine. Fire a couple of salvos and together with a MG42 try to stall assaulting infantry. and if Rifles or Penals get close, retreat. You already bled them during their advance. If you continue that up your opponents bleed will be higher than yours. Then for the next engagement maybe you bring a 222 or panzergrenadiers for flanking.

Took a while for me to realize that Grens are supposed to be used in squads of 3-4 to be effective.
29 Jul 2016, 08:04 AM

having 2-3 grens with Gewehr 43 or LMG 42 clumped together

Until 1 USF mortar shell or any random indirect-fire come in and that's it! You are playing very much in a "blobbing style", which again an effective tactic (blob against blob), but I think many people would want a more, let's say, "combine-er" arms.

29 Jul 2016, 09:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2016, 03:43 AMaaa
2 222 and 251

welcome to the fartlist, mr NerfGermans. gg well scrubbed!
29 Jul 2016, 09:04 AM

Dangerous-Cloth why dont you play something like 2v2 or 3v3 if WH is too hard for you in 1v1? :blush:
29 Jul 2016, 09:37 AM

Dangerous-Cloth why dont you play something like 2v2 or 3v3 if WH is too hard for you in 1v1? :blush:

I play all game modes, but I play 1v1 the most. It is just that Ostheer feels outdated, not evenly matched vs the other factions and every game feels like an uphill battle.
29 Jul 2016, 09:58 AM

Please please please stop replying to aaa, guys, he's trolling the shit out of every thread.
29 Jul 2016, 10:00 AM

You're kidding right? The bigger the maps, the worse things get for OH (and Soviets) without a FRP. Have fun retreating from Moskow all the way to Berlin in every match.
29 Jul 2016, 19:22 PM

If you are still having problems vs USF as Wehrmacht, then you should learn how much ground you can hold and how much is enough to survive until you outscale him late game, mastering the use of Sniper will help you get there even faster by bleeding him and delaying his assaults and tech.
29 Jul 2016, 19:36 PM

Started playing Ostheer recently after trying to master OKW for a while and I must say that I struggle alot more for some reason. Not quite sure why, though. Sounds like the consensus is that Ostheer is suppose to be on the backfoot initially, at least against USF. Cause of that they seem to have no problems hoarding ammo and then swarming with brownings or bars. I just seem to be outgunned throughout each stage as far as infantry goes. Anyway, hoping this thread ends up having some general tips.
30 Jul 2016, 06:26 AM

Until 1 USF mortar shell or any random indirect-fire come in and that's it! You are playing very much in a "blobbing style", which again an effective tactic (blob against blob), but I think many people would want a more, let's say, "combine-er" arms.

That's why you equip them with gewehr 43, to be able to shoot on the move. Keep em moving and chase that mortar down :)
30 Jul 2016, 23:59 PM

You're kidding right? The bigger the maps, the worse things get for OH (and Soviets) without a FRP. Have fun retreating from Moskow all the way to Berlin in every match.

i dont see a reason why i should be kidding. and ive been complaining about f-rt-points forever.
24 Aug 2016, 14:50 PM

I do think that compared with all the options allies have, ostheer seems disadvantaged. It really is the most punishing army for mistakes - lose even 2 models In a squad and you are at a huge disadvantage. There are some tips and guidelines that I found if followed really increase chance of success.

- keep your main force together. Other armies like Soviet, American, and okw really rely on mobile assault and flanking and maneuverability for success, if they decide to take an aggressive path. A lone wolf penal/American squad or a random submachinegun volks squad can do a lot of damage by disorienting the opponent and flanking team weapons. A lone Squad of 4 grens running around? Useless and easily countered by light vehicles played smart. However if the enemy doesn't have much defenses of course some grens sent to back cap can still be useful to deny territory, but the counterattack will cost you some men if you don't put your guys in cover to prepare

- micro intensive, use all your main force to defend each other - even if you don't have fuel, don't just rush your force in to take it. Be smart. Your force should include a well placed MG, a mortar behind the mg, and 2 grens at least. Play with cover, use the grens as long range bait to draw forces into your mg. the mortar takes care of any emplacements (could be a sniper). Like you said allies can easily counter this if you don't micro your mg and reposition to cover flanks after the first engagement. Afterwards you will want to invest in a 222 scout car, great anti inf harass, but remember it's made with paper. Certainly you want a pak gun somewhere behind the lines to get rid of Rusian AA HT, or light vehicles. Well placed t-70 can ruin this but this is why you keep your force together.

- don't lose a single squad. If you lose your grens before 20 minutes it's so much less field presence you have. Really losing full squads is devastating for the Wehrmacht player. If I go through an entire game without losing a squad it's usually ending up in a win, and the other way around too.

- try not to stockpile resources too much. Since ostheer units are so specialized and small, and allies usually make pushes that are surging with men and large squads, you want as much stuff on the field as possible. If you are too busy fighting and forgot to send that handy stug or Ostwind build order, it may miss the next big push by 30 seconds and as a result your mg had to retreat and you lost 5 men from your gren squads. Remember Wehrmacht does rely on vehicles and team weapons more than frontline infantry to win, this doesn't mean your inf are not vital to success but just you have a lot of vehicles options. Flame half track can be a game changer if you flank the 3 mortars blobbed that are rekting your men, but useless if you wheel it into a concealed guards crew with t-70, I once read that ostheer is all about knowing how to build counters against your opponent.

-heal your units. No point sending a 3/4 health squad full of grens if 2 will drop in the first volley of fire shot at them

- pros will keep a halftrack in the middle of the map so instead of retreating and giving your foe a chance to punish you by denying territory, run them back with 2 men and reinforce, run back to fight, it saves time

- panzer grens need to be supported to perform well, they die fast

- stugs with spotting scopes solve your problems against enemy tanks

- only build panzer 4 if the enemy has a lot of troops on the field without anti tank capabilities, never use it against other tanks

- t4...panther usually scares the crap out of the enemy if they have lots of tanks. Bumbarr is extremely punishing towards aggressive rifleman heavy play.

Really just keep your men together and play smart. Sometimes it's better to sit in fog of war doing nothing, waiting for your mg to suppress the first squad that attacks you. Only then you engage. When his first guys run, bring your entire force forward to punish. Don't lose pios because they are indispensable for that capping advantage they give.
26 Sep 2016, 04:43 AM

To truly understand OH you must accept that it will always be the worst faction, since its inception.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★