Login

russian armor

COH 2 MATCHMAKING

18 Jul 2013, 16:26 PM
Senior Editor Badge

http://www.companyofheroes.com/news/coh-2-matchmaking

Have you ever wondered how Company of Heroes 2 finds you an opponent when you play an Automatch game? Check out our latest blog delving into Relic's Elo+ rating system, and how you we find you your opponents.

Company of Heroes 2 uses a mathematical system to help arrange Automatch games, bringing opponents of similar skill levels together as quickly as possible. We call this system Elo+. This allows players to get into a game in short order against a foe as skilled as they are. When a player begins to search for an Automatch game their skill level is graded as an Elo+ Rating, and the computer searches for an opponent with a similar rating.

As the computer searches for an opponent it may begin to broaden the search if no opponent is found. Playing Company of Heroes 2 at times when there are less players online, may result in a greater chance of getting a match against a player whose Elo+ rating doesn’t match your own.

What determines my Elo+ rating?

The Elo+ system mathematically compares two player histories to predict what a player’s chances are of winning a game against another player. If you win, you gain points, if you lose, you lose points. If you’re victorious in a game against an opponent with a higher Elo+ rating, you raise your Elo+ rating more than if you win against a player with a lower Elo+ Rating. New players gain and lose points quicker so they reach the appropriate skill level faster.

Players have a different Elo+ rating per match type/race which is totally independent of any other stats in-game (level, XP achievements etc.). The first few times you play a match type/race, you will be matched against players with significantly different skill levels in order to quickly determine your true Elo+ rating. After the initial (currently 20) games, it will adjust your rating using a our Elo++ system.

How come I keep getting matched up with players with a higher/lower rank than me?

We don’t show players their Elo+ rating. What you’re seeing is a player’s total game level/rank which is earned through playing all modes of Company of Heroes 2. A player could reach the highest rank in CoH 2 without even winning a multiplayer game, since XP can be gained by playing the Campaign, Theater of War and even losing multiplayer matches.

It’s also important to keep in mind that rank does not directly equal skill. Don’t give up easily, you may just win.

What about team games?

We arrange team games based on the combined Elo+ rating of all the players on a team.// If I leave or am disconnected from a team match how is my Elo+ rating affected?

If other members on your side continue playing then your Elo+ rating will be raised or lowered depending on whether your team wins or loses after you leave. So staying in the game and helping your team win will help keep your rating higher.// What happens to my rating if I disconnect from a 1v1?

As with the original Company of Heroes we use a trust based system to determine who won if two players are disconnected. Our system will compare the number of disconnects that each player has had in the past, and determine which is the most “trusted” player awarding the game to the player with the least disconnections. A player who continually disconnects to avoid losing will become less and less trusted and be awarded less and less games.

What is Smurfing?

Smurfing is a term the community used in the original Company of Heroes because our system allowed players to create as many Profiles with unique Elo+ ratings as they wanted on their account. This allowed players to appear to be new players and continually play against opponents who were weaker than them. While some players liked this, it made the game hard for new players to play since they were too often met with a veteran pretending to be new looking for an easy win.

Company of Heroes 2 has no such Profile system, and thus players are unable to escape their Elo+ rating and pretend to be new. We feel that this gives new players a much better experience, and will be good for the long term health of the community.

Why do I still get crushed in games?

Our system attempts to match you with players who you have a 50% chance of beating. The more games you play using a specific faction and of a specific play type, the more accurate it will be. However there’s only so much we can tell based on people’s previous records.

Your opponent may have been practicing in another mode, for example playing against the computer to test out a new strategy. They may have been training like Rocky Balboa for the big fight, and it’s hard to beat anyone who’s just finished a good training montage. The strategy that your opponent used may just have been one your strategy was particularly weak against.

We can’t promise you down to the wire finishes every game, but with our Elo+ rating will keep you playing highly competitive games against players of your skill level as often as possible.
5 Aug 2015, 20:26 PM

Hello community,
I don't want to talk about the bush. I'm not very happy about the way the matchmaking works because I get to play with op-opponents all the time, this may be because I play as the Germans all the time and no one wants to play as the allies. But recently I got to play with such OP-opponents that I think COH trys to rob me all my joy of the game.
which is a shame because I like it. I don't know any other game which is so tactical and unice like COH. I hope this gets fixed with the upcoming update (British forces), so that the alias are more attractive to play.
sorry for the bad english

And peace out

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=494679639
5 Aug 2015, 20:41 PM

The whole "we match you with a person you have a 50% chance of beating" thing seems weird when to even HAVE a high rank you need a .6 or greater win ratio. That and the way they fit teams together is flabbergastingly silly because you can easily end up with a good player getting matched with a bad player against two mediocre players handing a easy win to the two mediocre players.
5 Aug 2015, 20:54 PM

thats why i have 90%+ win rates with randoms.
5 Aug 2015, 20:58 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

thats why i have 90%+ win rates with randoms.

You could also just mention dat 100 win streak mang
5 Aug 2015, 21:20 PM

At teams does not count, coz organized team should always beat randoms.
5 Aug 2015, 22:11 PM

The biggest problem with team matchmaking is, that the system treats every new team as inexperienced. Would be great if there was some consideration of the players history before matching 2 experienced player who just started a new AT a few times in a row vs newbies.

It gets worse with bigger gamemodes/clans ... just imagine the amount of combinations of 4v4 Teams in a 20 player community.
Such mismatched games are just a pain for every player participating.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 28
unknown 0

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment