Login

russian armor

COH2 is Utterly Ruined!

18 Jul 2013, 06:19 AM

In my opinion the latest Company of Heroes 2 is falling very short comparing to the previous three. The first and second opposing front game I still play a lot and the third one not so much.

I was overcome with joy at the sight of a new COH game but alas it turned out as a gigantic waste of money and time.

Here are my biggest problems with it:

I like the campaigns, but love the skirmish mode. With COH2 it isn't possible as I have to be online. Which I can't as my internet connection is slower than a dead donkey.
To give you an idea of how slow:
I had to register to say this and upon registering the was a capcha but i couldn't even see it, just a blank box.

So no skirmish mode, add to that the horrific stutter that occurs every couple of seconds or so.

I want my money back but as it is a PC game the store thought that it took me 5 days (from date of purchase) to copy it and now want to get a full refund and still play the game, i cannot get my money back

Once again a glorious game ruined by covetous companies that are more worried about pirate copies than a awesome game. The first two were truly awesome, the third one could work in a pinch. but this CANNOT.

What I will do in future is get a friggin pirate copy and see if I like the darn thing before I spend my hard earned bucks on a utterly useless game.
18 Jul 2013, 06:30 AM

Well that is why I still buy a lot of my games on disc in Australia, not only is our internet shit but there is a consumer return law in Australia that states you can return ANY product 'if it is not fit for the purpose it was purchased for' which includes a video game not being 'fun' as that was the purpose when I bought it (and yes I have pulled this card at EB or wherever at least 5-6 times and got my money back each time, a couple of times I had to get them to ring the ombudsman or consumer fair trading but it works). This doesn't apply to Steam games purchased through Steam itself however as digital sales are not covered. With regards to your skirmish problem will COH run in Steam offline mode, it should. If so just do that and start a custom game vs the AI.
18 Jul 2013, 08:56 AM

There's now way the developer can secure his game from being pirated. Even if it would require to check-in online every minute - there's still a workaround.

Game files are stored locally and therefore game can be cracked and launched without Steam... with no problems giving access to any local content.
18 Jul 2013, 09:44 AM

Sounds like the problem might be your system and internet connection. I can sympathize and hope you can get your money back but it's not really the games fault.
18 Jul 2013, 12:21 PM

I'll try the stupid steam offline setting. It's still annoying as hell. Steam is ruining games in my opinion. We've got a couple of friends that do a offline lan party every month and Call of duty 4 and 5 are excellent. With call of duty 6 we had to download a pirate copy just to lan it offline, even though we all have legit copies of the game.

I wanted to persuade the fellas to get this as well but there is no way in hell they would. Or if they did I would be in for a pounding.

Perhaps I should wait and see if the pirates have a better solution, given time they probably will. - and then people wonder why there are so many people pirating these days and games get more expensive as a result.
18 Jul 2013, 12:25 PM

The problem is with my internet connection which is basically non existent. But with my PC there cannot be found fault with.

Its got an i5 2500K CPU
Intel P67 Motheboard
16GB DDR3 memory
1TB Hard drive for the WIN 7 OS
MSI 650GT
850Watt PSU

Not brand spanking new, but it gets any job done with room to spare.
Metro last light was on high graphics with only one or two stutters that was barely noticeable.

raw
18 Jul 2013, 13:54 PM

Game files are stored locally and therefore game can be cracked and launched without Steam... with no problems giving access to any local content.

Wasn't there this service that tried to stream all the game data on request? Don't remember the name from the top of my head.

As for online play, you don't have to be online to play CoH2 (I did, because I had an internet outage a couple of weeks ago).

As for using Steam, 5 million concurrent users per day.
18 Jul 2013, 14:32 PM

"As for using Steam, 5 million concurrent users per day."

Yes, well if you are forced to eat nothing but rice and don't have much of a choice it will have to do. But its bad if you can remember the good ol days. Poor analogy, i know.
18 Jul 2013, 14:35 PM
Honorary Member Badge

there is skirmish mode... you just have to use your brain a bit.

steam can boot up in offline mode fixing your issue. or atlesst it should.
18 Jul 2013, 16:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jul 2013, 12:21 PMLoman
Perhaps I should wait and see if the pirates have a better solution, given time they probably will. - and then people wonder why there are so many people pirating these days and games get more expensive as a result.

That's not why people pirate games. Main reason is that there's no Regional pricing.

Take for example such countries as Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Poland etc...., you cannot rly expect for a majority of people having an average monthly salary a 450EUR or less (and that might be as well a whole family budget in most of cases), when the food and other expenses costs fairly the same or even more expensive then for example in UK or Germany (in UK you can wash the floors and drive a Lexus lol) to spend 60 bucks on a game...

I understand when you can spare the money and it is enough for you - but i have to tell that majority of Worlds population cannot afford that kind of prices just because they were born in poor countries.
18 Jul 2013, 17:01 PM

I am so god damn tired of these threads.
22 Jul 2013, 06:27 AM

Then stop reading. 0_0

Steam is ruining my game. Thanks for everyone's help but Steam did not take into account those users who don't have a good internet connection.

It took me four days just to "Activate" it and update it.
Thanks all, but the next time I see stupid Steam, i'm running away.

Cheers
22 Jul 2013, 06:56 AM

Do you know you can set Steam in offline mode and play skirmishes but you won't level up without a connection. That seems the same as CoH. Easy fix for your gripe about having to be connected. If your internet is bad I don't see multiplayer as an option anyway.
22 Jul 2013, 06:57 AM

I just started and played a skirmish in offline mode. What a noob. I wish people would think before they talk. You talk about a game developer ruining your precious life when all they did was use Steam which changes nothing about how you played CoH and want to play CoH2.
22 Jul 2013, 07:01 AM

By the way go to the top left Steam tab and the second line down says go offline. After restarting Steam with no connection to the internet you will be able to play almost all of your precious games CoH2 included. You can play campaign, ToW and 1v1 thru 4v4 skirmishes with AI.
22 Jul 2013, 07:24 AM

Permanently Banned
Steam is an online game/sales platform.

Its not their fault if your connection is shit.
22 Jul 2013, 07:28 AM

Where do you live?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 50
Germany 22
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L