Login

russian armor

Wanted: Improved Model/Mesh Vehicle Exports from COH2

29 Jun 2016, 08:16 AM

So after a very short amount of time messing around with it, I'm a firm believer that Substance Painter 2 provides a highly intuitive, cost-effective, and outright fun method of opening up COH2 unit skin modding. It lets people just paint their favourite tanks directly in 3D, and can be easily demonstrated by short flashy videos. By comparison, the Photoshop 2D textures can be completely bewildering to newcomers wanting to edit them.

Given the whole revenue sharing system for curated skins for Relic, tournaments, and the community, I feel like it's a win-win to promote this vastly more accessible way for people to produce content, and I'm in a good position to provide straightforward guides to help people get started.

There's pretty much just one thing I would like to resolve before doing so, if possible:

The only 3D models available were extracted by a Polycount member (Vailias), using a slightly modified version of an extractor for the original COH.

As a result, these models were not always clean and the official textures provided by Relic are almost always misaligned on them. It's not a massive discrepancy, but it does impede a lot of finer artwork, forcing you to use Photoshop more than one should have to.

While it would be amazing if Relic were to release these models officially, they no doubt have reasons not to. So, I'm essentially putting a call out there to see if anyone with the appropriate technical expertise thinks they might have a means of improving the mesh extractions.

Cheers!

3 Jul 2016, 19:06 PM

Yes, but it would be infinitely more amazing if actual 3d modelling were allowed to be used in game. Then the options would be endless as far as adding new vehicles, or even modifying the meshes on existing vehicles.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★