Login

russian armor

Why do we not have full modding tools?

27 Jun 2016, 21:57 PM

I've posted this thread in the lobby instead of modding discussion as I am talking about the game in general instead of a specific mod/asking for help with modding.

Anyway, the point of this thread is in the title. I can understand why in the earlier years of the game, full modding tools may have been a problem. Why should relic spend man hours making a new commander DLC with a KV-2 for example when modders have added that and many more for free on the workshop? However, at this point in the game's life, I think it is doubtful that mods can really damage sales or somehow hamper the game. In fact, I think that the potential for new mods like a fully fleshed out Spearhead mod or Japanese faction mod with new units and the like could actually bring more people to the game.

Furthermore, I think it will answer a lot of people's complaints. Everyone playing the game has a different perspective about what should be included and what should not. For example, if someone says that [insert faction] needs [this unit] to be balanced or we need [this new faction/theater], guess what, there is a mod for that now. People can play the game they want, be it Vanilla which will still be home to competitive events, or any mod they choose. We've already seen how much progress users can make with the existing tools, I wonder how much can be done with full access to the game. If Relic has commented on this issue (ideally at least semi-recently), feel free to post below along with any opinions.
27 Jun 2016, 22:09 PM

Anyone who doesn't allow open modding of their products in the games industry is backwards and guided by perverse incentives and will receive less profit due to it, no matter what DLC model is used.
SO SAYS I, ARMCHAIR BUSINESSMAN
Exaggeration aside, it would be better for the whole of the industry, producers and consumers alike.

Edit: to the question, it is about DLC models. It was because people were using mods to give themselves commanders (only in custom games with a tuning pack (or game mode?)). I'm too lazy to find the blog post.
Either way, they ought allow us to modify the .sga files.
27 Jun 2016, 22:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2016, 22:09 PMJaedrik
Anyone who doesn't allow open modding of their products in the games industry is backwards and guided by perverse incentives and will receive less profit due to it, no matter what DLC model is used.
SO SAY I, ARMCHAIR BUSINESSMAN
Exaggeration aside, it would be better for the whole of the industry, producers and consumers alike.

Edit: to the question, it is about DLC models. It was because people were using mods to essentially give themselves commanders (only in custom games with a custom tuning back, though, obviously). I'm too lazy to find the actual blog post. Either way, they ought allow us to modify the .sga files.

Honestly I just want modders to be allowed to add new models and infantry skins. What motivated me to write this post now even though I've been thinking this for a while is the Warspoils patch and the news that Relic is moving on to new games. People can already buy commanders through their raw play time (supply) and they can use any and all units in game already through custom games. There is no reason why modders shouldn't be allowed to add in a Marder III or a SU-122 to their mods.
27 Jun 2016, 22:22 PM
Benefactor 115

the offical line for no fully open modding is for security reasons so that people can't make hacks as easily.

If you're a bit more cynical, well you know what they are really preventing people from doing.
27 Jun 2016, 22:38 PM

the offical line for no fully open modding is for security reasons so that people can't make hacks as easily.

If you're a bit more cynical, well you know what they are really preventing people from doing.

If people wanted to make hacks to the game, I'd assume that they would be able to do it anyway. My point is, I don't think there is much reason to 'protect DLC sales' by banning full mods.
nee
28 Jun 2016, 10:16 AM

The problem with the whole security issue is that you can still hack or otherwise cheat in the game due to the many bugs that exist. SO even if we take that as reality (that is, lack of modding meant lack of cheating avenue), it's irrelevant given the flaws in the game that they haven't fixed...or make more when they try to make patches.

Wasn't there a patch where they made a hotfix but needed a hotfix to fix that hotfix?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★