Login

russian armor

Visual Impact of July 10th Patch

16 Jul 2013, 21:59 PM

I think there's an issue here that seems to be overlooked. Granted this issue has little to do with balance and all to do with aesthetics, but it's still important.

If durability of Ost weapon crews was the issue, then I feel increasing the overall health of the unit rather than placing more "entities" in the crew is a better option.

The visual design of both armies has the Soviets with a greater amount of "entities" on the field at any given time to show just how massive the ground army was.

By lessening the gap between the two, and giving the Germans more of a visual presence in bodies, it cheapens the feeling of overwhelming numbers for the Soviets.

This is also true of the engineer and pio squads. I really, really wish the Ost pios would only be 3 man, vs 4 man engy squads. You could very well adjust HP on pios to make it more balanced.
16 Jul 2013, 22:22 PM

I would like to see Ost weapon teams be able to reload and switch gunner positions faster instead of extra entities, they were better trained after all.

It would effect balancing I guess.
16 Jul 2013, 22:52 PM

I think there's an issue here that seems to be overlooked. Granted this issue has little to do with balance and all to do with aesthetics, but it's still important.

If durability of Ost weapon crews was the issue, then I feel increasing the overall health of the unit rather than placing more "entities" in the crew is a better option..

Soviets make 2 sniper squads and rush SU-85 = automatic win
4 man squads were there so crew would be more durable and wouldnt be take out so easy with molotov or sniper fire as opposed to soviets who have 6 man squads
Only Relic postRelic 17 Jul 2013, 02:27 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Not to mention increasing health would allow crews to eat a tank shell and survive, which would be undesirable from a design point of view.
17 Jul 2013, 02:59 AM

The HP buff suggestion was just off the cuff so to speak and was only in regards to a possible pio "entity" reduction.

Really I just wanted to address how the patch changes the visual presence of the armies.
17 Jul 2013, 03:39 AM

This thread makes no sense - COH2 isn't seeking to replicate the entire Western Front, but individual skirmishes inside larger battles. The numbers game would be a lot less apparent in these situations.

Apart from this, does OP understand the historical context? Yeah the Russians had a massive ground force, but so did the Germans. The armies were of comparable sizes in Operation Barbarosa - it's not as if the German forces were outnumbered 10:1 or anything.
17 Jul 2013, 04:09 AM
Senior Caster Badge

You misunderstand Mike.Gayner, clearly this game is trying to recreate, in high fidelity, World War II as depicted in Enemy at the Gates. So surely masses of Russian infantry are very important.
17 Jul 2013, 13:25 PM

This thread makes no sense - COH2 isn't seeking to replicate the entire Western Front, but individual skirmishes inside larger battles. The numbers game would be a lot less apparent in these situations.

Apart from this, does OP understand the historical context? Yeah the Russians had a massive ground force, but so did the Germans. The armies were of comparable sizes in Operation Barbarosa - it's not as if the German forces were outnumbered 10:1 or anything.

Your understanding of this thread and your useless rhetorical question are what seem nonsensical.

By "Western front" you mean eastern, so thanks for your history lesson.

Relic has stated multiple times, and it is clearly evident since day one that the army compositions were meant to show an outnumbering of German forces. The recent patch changed the visual impact of this. Instead of changing individual values, they are now addressing balance with composition and it does affect the aesthetic of the game.

But since no one seems to provide a relevant and/or troll-less response to this topic (other than Silent), I suppose it's safe to close it.
17 Jul 2013, 15:18 PM

the reason stated by the Relic dev makes sense, we don't want german weapons crews surviving direct tank shell hits as a result of increased hp.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Korea, Republic Of 5
Germany 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment