Login

russian armor

Infantry Dancing

16 Jul 2013, 01:43 AM

I figured this was different enough from the infantry responsiveness thread to merit its own.

Can we get an official statement one way or another on the state of infantry jumping around? This annoyed the everloving heck out of me in CoH1 and I was hoping it would be fixed here but seems to be exactly the same. I understand that there's several ways it can happen.

I am first and foremost concerned with the jumping out of cover for no reason. It is extremely predictable - take any squad, put it into cover near an enemy, watch 2-3 guys jump out of cover when they turn to engage. This is just maddening. And micro'ing to try and prevent it often makes it worse since you'll put them back in cover and they do it again.

The second case is I suspect the same issue, but different circumstances. If I'm chasing a tank with say a shrek squad and I get close enough for just an instant and click attack, the guys with the shreks don't take a knee and fire. They hop around and turn around and check their boots or something, then fire maybe if it's still in range. This violates the basic principle of "I told you to do something, DO IT" that needs to exist in an RTS.

The last case is related to flames and explosions. I can sort of understand this one, but right now it feels a touch excessive. Maybe just increase their recovery time or something and this would be fine. It might actually be interesting to add this as a hidden value to all infantry veterancy, they get less shaken by pew pew and whatnot as they scale up.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

16 Jul 2013, 03:07 AM

Another one will be soldiers stopping in negative cover in front of the enemy while retreating -_-
16 Jul 2013, 04:30 AM
Senior Caster Badge

With Company of Heroes 2's TrueDance™ feature, infantry will react realistically to enemy fire the way they would react to a disco party: by jumping around instead of engaging in combat. This revolutionary mechanic is unique to the Company of Heroes series and drastically changes how fights play out compared to more traditional Real Time Strategy games.
16 Jul 2013, 05:23 AM

With Company of Heroes 2's TrueDance™ feature, infantry will react realistically to enemy fire the way they would react to a disco party: by jumping around instead of engaging in combat. This revolutionary mechanic is unique to the Company of Heroes series and drastically changes how fights play out compared to more traditional Real Time Strategy games.

+1
16 Jul 2013, 09:52 AM
Donator 11

lol, nice one tycho :)
16 Jul 2013, 10:28 AM
Honorary Member Badge

tycho i believe you just won the thread.
16 Jul 2013, 10:50 AM
Patrion 14

Agreed, and a related topic would be the half sec to a second delay from input to action. Example. I see animation of molotov throwing conscripts, tell my grenadiers to move right. But like a deer on a road they stare at the molotov until it hits them. When they are on fire, they decide to move out. This goes for almost any infantry input. Grenade-dodging, and also retreating at the right moment is alot harder to do now, due to this needless delay. It kind of evens the field between skilled and non-skilled players, and while some might like it, I shure as heck dont. Im not nearly a pro in anyway, but I want the units to react when I tell them to.
16 Jul 2013, 19:43 PM

lol'd
16 Jul 2013, 22:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jul 2013, 10:50 AMLe Wish
Agreed, and a related topic would be the half sec to a second delay from input to action. Example. I see animation of molotov throwing conscripts, tell my grenadiers to move right. But like a deer on a road they stare at the molotov until it hits them. When they are on fire, they decide to move out. This goes for almost any infantry input. Grenade-dodging, and also retreating at the right moment is alot harder to do now, due to this needless delay. It kind of evens the field between skilled and non-skilled players, and while some might like it, I shure as heck dont. Im not nearly a pro in anyway, but I want the units to react when I tell them to.

Personally I've noticed that dodging grenades is only a problem when the connection between the players ins't that good. When I play matches with players that have a decent connection to me my units are responsive enough to do what I tell them almost instantaneously, though I see where you are coming from. I think this problem more lies in the 3v3 and 4v4 department when the lag created between everyone essentially destroys micro and gives delays between commands. Again, your problem could be totally different than that but I've found that unit responsiveness to commands has depended solely on connection in my games.
16 Jul 2013, 23:00 PM
Patrion 14

@theschizz

Interesting, but weird. I am playing 2v2s mainly. Will take a deeper look into this!
17 Jul 2013, 01:42 AM

I play in 1v1 and still have issues with grenade dodging. It is not input lag it is auto-cover.

Furthermore, I'm sick of losing fights because my Grenadiers think it's a good idea to dive for cover where that Molotov was just thrown.
17 Jul 2013, 05:02 AM

lol wp.

sounds legit too, they should honestly use it in the marketing just like that... with all the obsession games give to having "new" features these days over solid gameplay, even when they are completely useless and stupid.

I don't know much about it, but I would think having a "hold position" command that disabled unit/squad movement for any reason until given another order would seriously improve things and not be as hard to implement as "fixing" the whole issue with squads dancing and looking for cover etc. at the worst times. It might even add a bit of rewarding micro to this game which I had the opinion was seriously unrewarding and lacking.
17 Jul 2013, 06:34 AM

This won't change. Relic doesn't want it to change even if they perfectly know how to change it. They could have changed it in coh1 but didn't wanted for obscure reasons.
Enjoy the dance anyway.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 104

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment