Login

russian armor

Importing stock textures into Substance Painter 2

21 Jun 2016, 08:22 AM

Has anyone else attempted to use Substance Painter 2 for skin modding? I've been experimenting with it as a more intuitive alternative to Photoshop for painting 3D models. However, the extracted models provided by Polycount and the textures provided by Relic really don't play nicely together, as seen here:

Basically, regardless of which diffuse and normal textures you import, they appear as much smaller than the models and automatically tile to fill the space. The result in the case of the above normal map is some sort of German cybertronic war machine :p Kind of cool, but useless as a reference.

Changing TextureSet size settings, or switching between OpenGL/D3D doesn't seem to make any meaningful difference.
21 Jun 2016, 09:57 AM

Not familiar with Substance Painter 2, but it looks like the 3d-modells UV-map is flipped on the wrong axis, try to find a setting to flip the UV on ether the U- or V-axis.
(an other option is to flip the texture in a image editor and flip back the exported textures once done, but i really don't recommend doing it this way)
21 Jun 2016, 18:38 PM

photoshop is much easier , and if someone working with the meshes that was provited on polycount contest , its much more easier. Of course each 2 dev have his own way , i.e back in coh1 i used paint shop pro , and i was refused to change to psd, but after a long conversation with @halftrack and many tries with psd I alter my design program.
It's up to you what program you are gona use ;)
27 Jun 2016, 09:02 AM

Worked it out! I had my UV scale set to something other than 1. A very obscure setting for a beginner like myself :p

Nonetheless, I've been rapidly building my knowledge and am very close to producing quality goods now. Substance Painter is honestly so much fun, especially with sexy tank models :D

This one was still rather experimental, but it was kind of sexy (when not on a shadowy map):

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 104
unknown 11
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak