Login

russian armor

Difference in Factional Doctrines

15 Jul 2013, 14:40 PM

I am not trying to discuss any of the current imbalances in this thread just a question of the difference in doctrine application.

The German doctrines tend to augment an already strong force. For example the use of tactical smoke, stuka, the command tank (for all intents and purposes is not a winning or losing unit), some optional weapon changes (G43), and deep heavy tanks.

This is not the case with soviets it seems, essential infantrymen in the early game are from doctrines (I know some of you don't need guards or shock troops but for the mid level relatively rts experienced player it can be ground breaking). That being said the soviet doctrines tend to really make an impact and can easily lose me the game. For example if I noob it up and go guards when the flamer half track hits the field and my opponent shreds me with pgrens.

This certainly effects the late game as well in that if my opponent gets out a panther or two to augment the 2 P4s and elephant he has on the field I will regret hitting the dirt.

I am simply looking for community opinion of whether or not you feel a game without a doctrine choice affects you more as a Russian or a German Commander. I play both factions and rarely make it past 2 command points stockpiled before I select a command as Russians whereas I have won a great deal of games as a German without picking anything until 5-6 points in.
I know that the SU-85 generates a good deal of rage but I think implementing some of these infantry options somehow into the soviet command could alleviate alot of issues I as a noob have.
15 Jul 2013, 16:41 PM

Guards are decent infantry late game if you vet them up and upgrade to the dpmg. So thats not the worst doctrine since it helps the infantry. For me I feel german commanders arent as useful (besides the one with opel) and I find myself not even choosng a commander at times. The late game tanks are really expensive and by the time I get them out the game is basically won. The tiger isnt the beast it was in vcoh so I learned that when it does come onto the field you need to protect it a lot. Never got an elephant out...
15 Jul 2013, 17:31 PM

Not to be a dick, and I'm sure someone else would eventually chime in if I didn't, but...

The saying is "for all intents and purposes", not "for all intensive purposes". Just trying to save you some embarrassment before you say it in an important work meeting or something.

And you are definitely not the first to make this mistake: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=For%20all%20intensive%20purposes
15 Jul 2013, 18:19 PM

I find the german docs more useful than the soviet ones.

Most games I've accounted for a fast ht and won't be forced into a doctrine for an easy counter. I can be forced into something if I make a big mistake early, but I try to not let that happen (obviously).

Once you haven't been forced into anything, you can make a a more informed choice about what you need and how quickly you'll be able to finish off the game (so you don't end up with hit the dirt in a 1 hour game).

But on the whole, if I could pick german docs as the soviets, I probably would do that most of the time. They seem a lot more helpful generally.
16 Jul 2013, 00:00 AM

Not to be a dick, and I'm sure someone else would eventually chime in if I didn't, but...

The saying is "for all intents and purposes", not "for all intensive purposes". Just trying to save you some embarrassment before you say it in an important work meeting or something.

And you are definitely not the first to make this mistake: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=For%20all%20intensive%20purposes

Thanks for chiming in mate I appreciate the feedback. I will do what I can to incorporate this into my doctrinal use!
16 Jul 2013, 00:57 AM

I do find the Soviet ones more important than the German ones, but I also find the German ones pretty lacking. Ignoring uber-strafe which I never use because it's a stupid gimmick, you basically have tank smoke and the elefant. Everything else is pretty meh, including the tiger. I guess pak43 can be useful situationally. This limits the effective german commanders pretty heavily and even if you pick one, you can use the smoke on a Flamer sure but otherwise it has no impact until late game.

On the other hand, I'm often wishing as Sovs that I could build my own uber commanders or take more of them into a game because their ability sets are so interesting. They have a great set of early game abilities (HTD, guards, shocks, mark vehicle) and some great late game abilities (ISU152 wtf insta squad gibber, better howitzer, KV8 monster breakthrough unit).

Mark Vehicle has to be the most underused and underappreciated ability. Pop that bad boy on a panther and vet0 guards will start being a threat to it, not to mention anything else that already was.

This is all of course in the context of a 1v1 and 2v2 player.
16 Jul 2013, 01:37 AM

I agree, the soviet doctrines are boring...... and German doctrine are not that boring....most doctrine is just switch some of the abilities......

very "creative, worth 2.99 USD"

For most useless commander: NKVD doctrine.....
16 Jul 2013, 13:34 PM

On both factions doctrines are bland with copy & pasted skills that no one is using most of the time you have only one doctrinal skill that is ok and you choose that doctrine because of it.
In coh it was big difference how you played in coh 2 you can play without doctrines because most of the time they are bleeh.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★