Login

russian armor

Game minimizing to desktop

11 May 2016, 09:32 AM

As the title says my game Company of heroes (new steam version) randomly minimizing to desktop.
Is frustrating and distracting during gaming, I don't have black screens or crushes, everything is up to date, no virus.
Right now i have just add inside steam library game launch options the -forceactive command and I'm waiting to see if will it happen again...any suggestions? I play in fullscreen with no DX10(ultra) setting on,everything just high.
11 May 2016, 10:37 AM

Got the same problem, don't know how to fix it.
17 May 2016, 21:17 PM

is it when u use hotkeys?
17 May 2016, 23:59 PM

Do you have multiple monitors?
22 May 2016, 21:27 PM

No,no hotkeys,no multi monitor set up.I just want to play the game in fullscreen and not in window mode with commands like -window -forceactive -lockmouse in shortcut in order to avoid this from happening.
23 May 2016, 12:04 PM

I know it is not the answer to your question, but here is what I would suggest...

This game runs better in window-mode. In window mode you can easy run it on dx10 bug-free with all settings maxed up (no black screens - at least this is how it was for me).

To your startup arguments (-window -forceactive -lockmouse) i would also add -novsync (it will skyrocket your FPS and also improve performance).

To get rid of the annoying borders in windowed mode I followed this guide:
http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/portals.php?show=page&name=streaming-company-of-heroes-justin-tv-broadcast

What comes to the game minimizing..., you probably have some process running in background witch forces itself active - just a guess...
26 May 2016, 21:33 PM

Thx Mortality.
I dont like those annoying borders in windowed mode as you said, so i will try this method that you suggest asap.I have a feeling that this window mode will solve my problem,hope to make it run without borders.
Cheers and thx again.
26 May 2016, 21:52 PM

I know it is not the answer to your question, but here is what I would suggest...

This game runs better in window-mode. In window mode you can easy run it on dx10 bug-free with all settings maxed up (no black screens - at least this is how it was for me).

To your startup arguments (-window -forceactive -lockmouse) i would also add -novsync (it will skyrocket your FPS and also improve performance).

To get rid of the annoying borders in windowed mode I followed this guide:
http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/portals.php?show=page&name=streaming-company-of-heroes-justin-tv-broadcast

What comes to the game minimizing..., you probably have some process running in background witch forces itself active - just a guess...

Wow this actually significantly improved my fps, thanks for the tip mate! :sibHyena:
27 May 2016, 09:19 AM

Thx Mortality.I just test it with the script and the -window -forceactive -lockmouse and -novsync. That was exactly what i wanted man...better performance,i can use now ultra,window mode that looks like fullscreen.I hope that the minimizing will never happen now!Perfect man,thx again!
28 May 2016, 12:49 PM

Wow this actually significantly improved my fps, thanks for the tip mate! :sibHyena:

Doesn´t Vsync limit the fps to the maximum hz of the monitor? I mean if your graphics card can create more fps than the monitor can display, switching off vsync will not make the monitor show the extra fps...
30 May 2016, 17:11 PM

Doesn´t Vsync limit the fps to the maximum hz of the monitor? I mean if your graphics card can create more fps than the monitor can display, switching off vsync will not make the monitor show the extra fps...

This is not that simple. Vsync tries to synchronize your monitor refresh rate with frames produced. Ideally it should not affect performance - but if your system fails to produce amount of frames locked -> it has to catch it up and sync again and again to produce this perfect 1 image per monitor refresh. You could have even 50% performance reduction at those times.

Also this syncing and catching up is an extra work.

Besides - (im no pro at this and might tell some wrong) - your desired refresh rate goes together with game-loop. Locked at 60fps -> game can read 60 inputs per second, while running @ 200fps it can read what ur doing 200 times per second. You kinda do not see this - but the game is (for this example) more then 3x times more "responsive". "Good games" have its time flying "independently" from fps so you do not see the game's time slowing down - just the frames (or speeding up - not like some crappy console ports thinking that 30fps or 60fps == 1 second)

When I first disabled vsync for COH - I instantly felt camera responsiveness going up. You may just try it up yourself - and see if it makes difference for you or not.
30 May 2016, 17:50 PM

i know i have this problem, but it's because i have a work laptop that has an imaged copy of windows. every 20 minutes or so, windows has a popup reminding me that my copy isn't activated. it's annoying but not game-killing.
1 Sep 2016, 21:27 PM

Thx Mortality.
I dont like those annoying borders in windowed mode as you said, so i will try this method that you suggest asap.I have a feeling that this window mode will solve my problem,hope to make it run without borders.
Cheers and thx again.

disable windoys key
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 78
unknown 12
unknown 11

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L