Login

russian armor

Flamethrower or minesweeper

ahl
26 Apr 2016, 04:35 AM

I recently had a game where i desided to get flamethrower for my pioneers, bad choise got hit by several mines.
I hadnt hit any mines until 15 mins into the game thats why i got flamethrower

Question is. Should you ever get the flamethrower in 1v1 before getting minesweeper?
Or should you always get a second pio for flame?
26 Apr 2016, 04:44 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Best to get both. Early flamethrower pioneer is amazingly useful, especially against soviets where the cons need to get up close to beat any of your grens. It's also the only reliable building clear besides a mortar in the very early game when building rush is must important. Get a second pio for sweepers later, usually after you get a pak out and are holding. Ostheer is pretty defensive early game, so you should be holding and not be pushing deep enough to need the sweepers. Faster repairs from having 2 pios and especially getting vet on the flamethrower squad will be paying off in the long run. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

n.b. It's always map dependent to some extent. Flamethrowers aren't the best choice on crossing in the woods for example.
26 Apr 2016, 22:17 PM

You can go flamer first against Soviets, but it's a good idea to keep track of where the enemy has his engineers. If he is not getting a flamer the same time you are, it means that he has very likely gone for some early mines. At this point its best to play carefully, avoiding common mine locations and follow up with a minesweeper soon if you want to go aggressive.
26 Apr 2016, 22:38 PM

avoiding common mine locations

So basically avoid the entire map? :p:clap:
Where do you mine aero?

Normally I shroud an entire VP/fuel pt in mines
ahl
27 Apr 2016, 04:17 AM

Thanks for advices. I was thinking you should have minesweeper early against soviet because they have such cheap mines + if they get partisans they kan put mines with them too so mines everywhere. Thats what happend to me but a bit late...
27 Apr 2016, 11:07 AM

So basically avoid the entire map? :p:clap:
Where do you mine aero?

Normally I shroud an entire VP/fuel pt in mines

No not the whole map. You just have to keep tabs on where your opponent has send his engineers in the early game. If he has gone to the east side of the map, you can be as aggressive as you like on the west side. If you then send troops to the east, you just have to make to avoid good mine spots and sure not to exit buildings from a different side of which you entered. And get a sweeper squads soon after.
27 Apr 2016, 14:04 PM
Admin Red  Badge

Due to habit and paranoia I always upgrade minesweepers first when I play versus Soviets. They are mandatory versus UKF either since UKF can lay down standard mines with non doctrinal units but not necessary versus USF. If your USF foe fields M20 or if you spot his Riflemen laying down mines though you must purchase minesweepers for obvious reasons.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★