Login

russian armor

"War is scary place, kid" - morale in CoH 2

20 Apr 2016, 21:03 PM

In Wh40k: DoW we had very interesting and cool system of soldier's morale. While morale wasn't low - soldiers fought good, brave and nice. When morale dropped too low cause of getting to much damage or getting special effect attacks - they became pretty useless in combat and could ignore your commands, so you had to move them back for restore.

That system was so cool because of some kind of realsim. So, I started to think - would it be possible to realise that system in CoH 2? Of course, supressing system somehow duplicates that morale, but... it looks strange sometimes. DShK as HMG pins infantry fast, but DShK on IS-2 doesn't. Morale, from other side, could be damaged by any possible damage and that is more reasonable. IRL soldiers will be scared and supressed by any fire - from infantry guns to artillery.

So, how do you think, may that system be realised - fully or in some part of it? And is it possible to realise it at all here?

Would be really interesting to see, how Axis soldier's morale goes to 0, when they getting Katyusha's barrage on their heads :D IRL germans really feared that thing.
20 Apr 2016, 21:27 PM

Actually this system is in place, and Relic through their impressive game design have implemented this mechanic on the player when they lose units.
20 Apr 2016, 21:59 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2016, 21:27 PMSwift
Actually this system is in place, and Relic through their impressive game design have implemented this mechanic on the player when they lose units.

They probably just went to WW2 and thought "Well it's kinda silly to have the infantry units just run away really soon after a machine-gun shoots at them, isn't it?" and then decided to make the suppression system heavily penalize squads but give some benefit to it with the RA bonus against them.

And then they probably realized it'd be the worst thing ever if suppressed units can only recover it from with the suppressor disappearing and added retreating.

Of course, they could have had both!
20 Apr 2016, 22:08 PM

Well, It would be interesting to have both systems - supression and morale.

Supression makes infantry ineffective and morale system would work in that way - if total squad moral became equial to 0, then it will be automaticly forced to retreat, like with Soviet Propaganda artillery.

And damage to morale will come from all damage sources. Less from infantry or tanks, but more from flamers, artillery strikes and such "scaaaaary" stuff. And of course, from some off-map abilites, like same Propaganda :D Maybe, supressed infantry will also get bouns to their morale damage.

20 Apr 2016, 22:27 PM

And while we are at it , just add munition , food and water .... oh and crafting- everybody loves crafting...

almost forgot add some mercenarycamps and a dragon + itemshop.

Yeah, such great ideas .... you don´t need to thank me.
20 Apr 2016, 22:37 PM

And while we are at it , just add munition , food and water .... oh and crafting- everybody loves crafting...

You just gave me an idea! Let's add to game on all maps neutral faction - Minutemens. While you playing, they will ask you to go and kill some gans/yankee/tommy/ivans creeps or build them new settlement in a middle of combat zone.

I think, Relic should take best ideas of their colleagues from Bethesda. And crafting, of course crafting.

Craft your own infantry squads, customise their weapons and equipments. Craft your own tanks, support guns... JUST CRAFT!

We must work in creative team of Relic, bro :D We can make great DLC for them, which will give them soooo much money... even Rockstar will cry, and even Gaben will become slim after that.
20 Apr 2016, 22:39 PM

You just gave me an idea! Let's add to game on all maps neutral faction - Minutemens. While you playing, they will ask you to go and kill some gans/yankee/tommy/ivans creeps or build them new settlement in a middle of combat zone.

I think, Relic should take best ideas of their colleagues from Bethesda. And crafting, of course crafting.

Craft your own infantry squads, customise their weapons and equipments. Craft your own tanks, support guns... JUST CRAFT!

We must work in creative team of Relic, bro :D We can make great DLC for them, which will give them soooo much money... even Rockstar will cry, and even Gaben will become slim after that.

Great ideas, kyle :foreveralone:
20 Apr 2016, 22:40 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

We could call it...Warcraft.

Shit wait, I think that name's taken.

Well, it's not Blizzard is making #4 anyway :(:(:(:(:(
21 Apr 2016, 06:28 AM

So much crafting? Dwarf Fortress? :D
21 Apr 2016, 06:51 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Apr 2016, 06:28 AMAdviser
So much crafting? Dwarf Fortress? :D

The only thing more fun than winning is losing.

(Never played it, opened it once, realized I had no idea what I was looking at, never bothered to figure out yet)
21 Apr 2016, 07:22 AM

How many "new mechanic" are we seeing these days...
21 Apr 2016, 10:43 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

I wish for "no rush" timer. 20 minute no rush in SupCom <444>3
25 Apr 2016, 10:44 AM

Bring back cold tech and Rostov naooww! WRONG decision Relic.
25 Apr 2016, 11:12 AM
Donator 33

How about adding summoning to the game, if you add 3 demonic worshipping places to the map (that you need to capture and control all 3 of them) that allow you to spawn units to the 1 of 3 altars from the original COH 2 (2013 patch) with super KV-8´s that wiped squads in 2 seconds or Panthers that would have 400 armor and 60 range, or even T34 with guaranteed ram abilitys or even the KT with its 425 armor.

Spawning demonic and hated units from hell would add another entirely new layer to the game
25 Apr 2016, 11:28 AM

Bring back cold tech and Rostov naooww! WRONG decision Relic.

Cold tech, Rostov and all maps in automatch rotation!!! Make it like "all maps able to play - infinite/big number of mapbans for players".

There are a lot of really nice maps, removed from rotation. Bring democracy into CoH 2! Let people choose themself, what maps are good for them and play in auto!
25 Apr 2016, 21:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2016, 11:12 AMATCF
How about adding summoning to the game, if you add 3 demonic worshipping places to the map (that you need to capture and control all 3 of them) that allow you to spawn units to the 1 of 3 altars from the original COH 2 (2013 patch) with super KV-8´s that wiped squads in 2 seconds or Panthers that would have 400 armor and 60 range, or even T34 with guaranteed ram abilitys or even the KT with its 425 armor.

Spawning demonic and hated units from hell would add another entirely new layer to the game

Lol, it would be like chaos units. That shouldn't even be controversial to the DoW fans.
25 Apr 2016, 21:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2016, 11:12 AMATCF

0 Chainswords/10, is heresy, would not praise the Emperor for.
26 Apr 2016, 05:42 AM

Actually thought this would be a good idea. Total War does a good job of simulating morale during a battle. Units that get flanked and such don't fight that well and will sometimes retreat. Prop your general next to them and they'll fight better.
26 Apr 2016, 09:09 AM

In DoW1, loss of morale served as the trigger to withdraw, or at least relocate, a unit that was coming under heavy pressure. In a sense it was a way to let you know that you were in danger of losing a unit, and needed to do something about it.

In CoH1, this was replaced with the Retreat mechanic, which I think is better in every respect. It doesn't take control, but instead of penalising you for staying in the fight - loss of effectiveness due to morale effect - it rewards you for getting out - survivability buff to retreaters.

While I would personally like it if squads autoretreated on 2 men, or at least I think that could be workable, I'm not so sure of it that I would promote the idea. And I'm certainly not keen on the increased vulnerability aspect of DoW1's morale failure, as that risks snowballing a bad situation into a disaster.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★