Login

russian armor

metacritic score

12 Jul 2013, 08:32 AM

I find almost all ratings and reviews are useless for me.

Lots of people like this game? Great ... doesn't mean I will. Otherwise I'd just play WoW and SC2
12 Jul 2013, 11:00 AM

Overall, I really prefer written reviews, long video reviews and simple Let's Play videos over score reviews for titles that I tend to be interested in.

For titles that I'll only buy when they are heavily reduced, they normally do fine to judge the overall quality of the game and help me decide whether to further look into a title or to skip it.
And that is all Metacritic is good for. In the end it is still not a great website because people on there (like on most forums) tend to be far too emotional with their reviews and because the website is used wrong, e.g. as the only source to inform your purchase decision and sometimes for determining the bonus payments from publishers to developers.
12 Jul 2013, 11:32 AM

I now have 6, yes that is right 6 friends, who I play Guild Wars 2 with and have been trying to get them to come over and try COH2. All 6 of them have taken stock of the metacritic score and have decided NOT to buy even though I have told them to take no notice of it and that its a good game. Their comeback is 'Diablo 3, was the Metacritc score correct on that?...3' and I have no comeback because yes it was absolutely correct. It is unfortunate but ALOT of new potential buyers and players are turned off by Metacritic scores and it does have an effect on sales numbers.
12 Jul 2013, 15:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jul 2013, 11:32 AMGrund
I now have 6, yes that is right 6 friends, who I play Guild Wars 2 with and have been trying to get them to come over and try COH2. All 6 of them have taken stock of the metacritic score and have decided NOT to buy even though I have told them to take no notice of it and that its a good game. Their comeback is 'Diablo 3, was the Metacritc score correct on that?...3' and I have no comeback because yes it was absolutely correct. It is unfortunate but ALOT of new potential buyers and players are turned off by Metacritic scores and it does have an effect on sales numbers.

Would you WANT to be THAT GUY that they'll all feel to blame when they buy the game - on YOUR advice - to find the shambles that it is?

I know you might think its got potential and its rough around the edges and its going to be good.....BUT

You're friends probably don't have the patience you do and they'll blame you for the $60 they just pissed up on the wall for this half finished mess.

Let Relic iron out more bugs, get the balance right and cut the price and I'm sure you'll be a lot more popular with your friends.
12 Jul 2013, 16:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jul 2013, 11:32 AMGrund
I now have 6, yes that is right 6 friends, who I play Guild Wars 2 with and have been trying to get them to come over and try COH2. All 6 of them have taken stock of the metacritic score and have decided NOT to buy even though I have told them to take no notice of it and that its a good game.

when CoH1 got a great metacritic score from both users and critics it was trumpeted by Relic and THQ as this great indicator of the game's quality.

CoH2 gets a lower score than SC2:WoL and SC2:HotS. And, users are just destroying CoH2 in their reviews while providing mixed reviews to SC2.

Now the fanboys claim, Metacritic is meaningless. Of course, you can not have it both ways.

I think Metacritic scores have some meaning to them. For 2006 Tech Levels CoH1 is far better than CoH2 (relative to 2013 tech levels). And the Metacritic scores have reflected this reality. The CoH1 campaign is much better as well. When CoH1 came out all RTS fans i knew and I reacted like.. "wow this is fucking awesome stuff". No one is saying "wow" about CoH2.

Here is a small anecdote:
The guy who owns Toronto's (most populous city in canada) best internet cafe states that "no one is playing CoH2"
"its all Dota2, LoL, SC2, WoW, GW2, and even Minecraft"
"when a gang of 10 guys comes in to play its always the games above... i do not even have CoH2 installed on any machines"

What can not be denied is the plummeting # of simultaneous CoH2 users on Steam.

Look for CoH2 to go on sale during Steam's "Super Summer Sale" that ends July 22.
12 Jul 2013, 16:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jul 2013, 16:19 PMGorilla

when CoH1 got a great metacritic score from both users and critics it was trumpeted by Relic and THQ as this great indicator of the game's quality.

CoH2 gets a lower score than SC2:WoL and SC2:HotS. And, users are just destroying CoH2 in their reviews while providing mixed reviews to SC2.

Now the fanboys claim, Metacritic is meaningless. Of course, you can not have it both ways.

I think Metacritic scores have some meaning to them. For 2006 Tech Levels CoH1 is far better than CoH2 (relative to 2013 tech levels). And the Metacritic scores have reflected this reality. The CoH1 campaign is much better as well. When CoH1 came out all RTS fans i knew and I reacted like.. "wow this is fucking awesome stuff". No one is saying "wow" about CoH2.

What can not be denied is the plummeting # of simultaneous CoH2 users on Steam.

Look for CoH2 to go on sale during Steam's "Super Summer Sale" that ends July 22.

I don't think you'll see it on Summer Steam Sale.

BUT I reckon you'll see it for $10 come the December Steam Sale.

Plus by then they'll hopefully have made it somewhat enjoyable from a muliplayer point of view.

Its Sega after all - they cut the price of their games like crazy - Total War series for example.

You'd have to REALLY want to give away money at the current asking price.
12 Jul 2013, 16:45 PM

Can we please add an ignore function on the forums?
12 Jul 2013, 16:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jul 2013, 16:45 PMCaeltos
Can we please add an ignore function on the forums?

Do what you gotta do mate.

12 Jul 2013, 17:00 PM

Permanently Banned
metacritic is shit, because the overwhelming majority of reviewers are REALLY shit.
12 Jul 2013, 17:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2013, 14:13 PMCaeltos

If you even followed the process of THQ, you would know it was less then good for a while. There were reports & concerns amongs gamers & journalists alike for quite some time. The specific Bankruptcy was just a matter of time, unless they did magical 180 and turned things around. The latter, did not happend.

JimRaynor was on top of this 2 years ago. He was consistent and insistent with his posts trying to warn gamers..share his concerns and all anyone in this community ever did was shoot him down. You all marked him as a "Troll" ignoring the fact that he was a well informed concerned consumer.

As THQ was going bankrupt Quinn Duffy continued to insist everything was great at Relic and this had no impact on the development of the game. Based on your reply I guess you think Raynor was correct and Duffy was being less than 100% honest.
12 Jul 2013, 17:21 PM

It's amazing to me that with all the gameplay videos on youtube that people use anything else to decide if they'll buy a game.
12 Jul 2013, 17:33 PM

I watch twitch.tv to make my decisions.
12 Jul 2013, 21:34 PM

JimRaynor was on top of this 2 years ago. He was consistent and insistent with his posts trying to warn gamers..share his concerns and all anyone in this community ever did was shoot him down. You all marked him as a "Troll" ignoring the fact that he was a well informed concerned consumer.

As THQ was going bankrupt Quinn Duffy continued to insist everything was great at Relic and this had no impact on the development of the game. Based on your reply I guess you think Raynor was correct and Duffy was being less than 100% honest.

I don't know who this JimRaynor was until like a couple of days ago when someone gave me a heads-up and that recognized him as abit of a trollbait.

Seriously, you'd have to be completely delusional to not recognize that things were not looking bright for THQ, and their future line-up when they were present HAD TO sell really well in order to for them get back on their feet, hell even then- they'd still be in a uphill battle. Despite that, I remember when several people who were responsible of the Dawn of War franchise (TASK3R) amongst alot of other good people got laid off, and it came as a surprise. Specifically TASK3R comes to mind, since I followed him on Twitter, and he was really excited about some upcoming work he was doing, the day after (or so) he got laid off. I don't know how much Relic is actually in the loop with how the financial of their Publisher/Owner has it, unless they do some research in their private time. For all what's worth, it could have been okay, and they could have the financial backup to continue on with what their doing, then the next day- they could get bad news. It's all really up for speculation, and only Relic / Their respective publisher really has the full grasp on the subject, so I don't want to speculate more then I already am. :-)

Do what you gotta do mate

I'm not just a big fan of Gorilla ignoring the very important misc. subjects on the sidenotes which are quite impactful on the overall sales. It's just speculations which are fairly loose. Depending on the overall budget they've put on the game, and what-have-you, it could still have been a profitable sale for all what's worth. Despiet low sales figures (on steam)
15 Jul 2013, 18:42 PM

if i am giving a score for the gameplay then i ll give a 75-80 % , if i give a score for the whole game its 70-75%

anyway metacritic has its uses (not that one should decide whether to buy a game or not based upon sbs else subjective opinion ) and since we dont know all the reviewers we cant say that most of them are idiots or fan/hate-boys but it does provide some information about the reception of the game and to me it seems that its saying incomplete rather than failure , although i doubt its score would climb higher than the score of dow2 or OF ( dont know if there is one tbh )
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 30
South Africa 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment