Login

russian armor

Too conservative?

11 Apr 2016, 22:31 PM

Hey there, this is the first replay I'm posting.
I want to know how I can improve based on this replay.
I was tired and all, but I felt like I played ok for my standards.
Beware it is an hour long. Early and mid game went good, I wonder if I didn't close it soon enough. I felt like I was too conservative and turtled too much. Please have a look and give me some tips, because it felt like it was my game to lose.
Have a nice day!
11 Apr 2016, 22:39 PM

I'll take a look at it tomorrow!
11 Apr 2016, 22:42 PM

Thanks in advance!
11 Apr 2016, 22:46 PM

Who won ? You or ur opponent
11 Apr 2016, 23:30 PM

My opponent did. We have both become very stale in the mid-late game and I feel like I had it in my hands..
12 Apr 2016, 11:05 AM

Alright, I watched the replay.

You were doing very well in the early game. Good job there, nothing to really comment on.

The first big mistake happened around the 18 minute mark when you got your P4. You immediately put it on prioritize vehicles even though there were no vehicles to be fought. This actually greatly reduces the combat effectiveness of the tank, it won't shoot infantry units unless you tell the tank to target them directly. Even then, only the top machinegun will fire so you lose quite a bit of DPS. But what is even worse, you were extremely passive with your tank. The whole right side of the map was void of enemy AT units and your P4 could have been having a field day there, killing all sorts of Bolsheviks. Instead it spend the first 5 minutes of its life sitting back doing nothing, acquiring a meager 3 kills and not giving you any more map control. When you get a medium tank such as the P4 early, you have to be used aggressively; exploit its shock-value to get more map control and kill some infantries.

Luckily, your infantry play remained good at this point. And you were also on-top of things with mines. Nice work. You should however get a second pioneer squad when you have a tiger on the field, especially when you also have other armor on the field. The repair speed from 1 pioneer squad is just not that impressive, especially at vet 0. Getting a second pioneer squad will allow you to be much more aggressive with your armor.

Around the 30 minute mark you started with some wasteful behavior: the opponent had the bulk of his forces, including a heavy tank, on the left flank covering the VP. For a time here, you were simply poking the VP with the odd unit for some reason. This is just a waste of manpower. You are not going to break such a position with one or two squads. So either cap around it (the left fuel point could have been easily secured), or consolidate your forces and prepare for a major assault. Another big tactical mistake here is how you used your P4. The P4, like other medium tanks, are pretty much useless in a stand-off with enemy heavy tanks, tank destroyers and AT guns. Instead, you should have used the mobility advantage of the P4 to push back units on the right side of the map, far away from the enemies bulk force. This would have also allowed you to, if you were to perform a major assault on his strong point, flank with P4 and hit the enemy from the side where it can actually do some damage.

The last half hour of the game was pretty much the same. You got stuck in a mindset where you were just sending out units here and there into the enemy guns. This just fed the opponent veterancy and slowly drained you in the process, up to the point where the opponent had such a resource lead over you that even if you killed most of his army, he could replace it directly.

In short, you definitely could have won this match and you indeed were in the lead for the first part of the match. You failed to exploit the shock value of your P4 which allowed your opponent to keep a good hold on the map and set up a strong point. You then started to play way too passively with the bulk of your forces, constantly fighting his large force with just a hand full of your own units. Feeding him veterancy and draining your manpower. What you could and should have done instead was consolidating your forces, get your entire army ready for a big assault and just attack his position with everything you got (including your 2 AT guns, during a big assault you can just put them on prioritize vehicles and A-move them along with your army and they will help a lot). Ammo was plenty so you could have used strafes to suppress his supporting infantry and frag bombs to quickly take out his AT gun.
12 Apr 2016, 13:30 PM

Thanks a lot, I underestimated the shock value of my p4 and sensed a lot of presence in the east, which was only periodically somewhat true. The sniper also bothered me, but not too much. I simply waited him to pounce but why would he. Instead it was on me to make the move. I tend to forget that aspect when playing ost. I greatly appreciate the time you have put in to help me out here.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★