Login

russian armor

Lost all squad_action_apply data?

Dar
25 Mar 2016, 15:44 PM

Hey guys,

I've run into an issue that basically broke all my work up to this point. Every entry I've ever made in the sbps/squadname/squad_action_apply_ext has been straight out erased from all of my projects. This was a ton of data that is impossible to reproduce. It gets even better, this applies to already packed mods as well, so it appearently broke the tuning packs I have published on Steam Workshop. It seems like there was a change to this data section in the february patch - can anybody confirm this?

Furthermore - can anybody explain this? I mean, am I the only one affected or did Relic just screwed all of their community mod makers over?
26 Mar 2016, 01:09 AM
Honorary Member Badge

You should try to use GitHub or similar source control to prevent complete loss of data. That way, you can discard changes or revert to previously good builds whenever something bad happens.

Otherwise, it is good practice to check the errors and warnings whenever you fire up the Attribute Editor, to see if a recent patch has made any drastic changes. As long as you don't save your work, you should be able to study the changes and find a solution.
26 Mar 2016, 02:43 AM
Developer Relic Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Mar 2016, 15:44 PMDar
Hey guys,

I've run into an issue that basically broke all my work up to this point. Every entry I've ever made in the sbps/squadname/squad_action_apply_ext has been straight out erased from all of my projects. This was a ton of data that is impossible to reproduce. It gets even better, this applies to already packed mods as well, so it appearently broke the tuning packs I have published on Steam Workshop. It seems like there was a change to this data section in the february patch - can anybody confirm this?

Furthermore - can anybody explain this? I mean, am I the only one affected or did Relic just screwed all of their community mod makers over?

It's due to the changes they made to fix the veterancy issue where squad_action_apply now has two sub-categories which overwrites the previous stuff. It's now divided between squad and squad_entity.
26 Mar 2016, 09:12 AM
Modmaker Badge

Yes, also happened in my mod.
Was a pain in the butt for sure :)

Sadly relic trying to fix a problem in his game broke this this particular extension.
Personally I use Github but relic patch was inevitable and the damage also.

I solved the problem with two patches in my mod and three days of hard work.
Dar
26 Mar 2016, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the intel. The thing is, I took a break from everthing CoH2 to work on a different Project for some time and didn't keep track of what happened during the last months. Without noticing these changes, I came back to my tuning packs to edit a few things, saved it, buildt it and now the damage is done to all my files. A rather unpleasant surprise. Not that it matters anymore, but why couldn't they just transfer the old data to one of the new extensions?

Guess I'll have to take my tuning packs down for now. I might have older versions stored as backups somewhere to read the data from, but even then - it is such a huge amount of stuff that needs to be reproduced, chances are I'll never get it redone to the latest state. Never had a reason to use Github. Up til now. Will sure keep that in mind for future projects.
Dar
7 Apr 2016, 07:24 AM

Looks like I need to dig this up once more.

Since Relic released their April Bug Fix yesterday - the one project of mine I could salvage since all squad_action_apply data got lost, has been broken again.

Everywhere a unit should spawn in with a certain slot_item, added on spawn by squad_action_apply/squad_actions/slot_item_add - this slot_item will no longer be added. It worked just fine only minutes before the patch, so I am certain the bug fix is the reason here.

This holds for custom units as well as unchanged units in the tuning pack like the call-in mechanized Grenadier Gruppe, equipped with an LMG-42 by default, that now arrives without one.

Squad upgrades work as intended, so it can't be the slot_item_add function, I am suspecting more changes to the squad_action_apply extension.

Now whatever Relic has changed yet again, the slot items work in vanilla, this seems to only affect tuning packs - I can't reproduce the vanilla solution though, since it appears to me that the Devs didn't update the modding files/data base with their changes yet.

Any intel on the situation? Can someone confirm this? Or is it just me having the issue?
7 Apr 2016, 17:22 PM
Donator 11

Yeah, I can confirm this. And since the squad_action_apply_ext data is still there, there probably isn't a way to fix this.
7 Apr 2016, 21:55 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Can also confirm.
8 Apr 2016, 00:55 AM
Modmaker Badge

I can also confirm that.
It is fixable but all slot items and upgrades should be mod in the action apply ext of the ebps file.
It is a bit more difficult but possible.

I do not know why relic do this kind of things :(

Dar
8 Apr 2016, 07:20 AM

A rather unfortunate situation that relic just put us all into. You'd think they'd at least give us a note when changing stuff like this - or provide us with the information on how to reproduce their changes.

@Olhausen: So you suggest adding a slot item in the entity section without adding that item for everyone in the squad?
I guess by a changed action target to target "squad"?
In any event that would mean we'd have to clone a ton of entities and create special versions of soldiers for every squad with default slot items we have. And this just covers the slot items. I can only guess that additional squad_action_apply data won't be that "easy" to port.

Furthermore I am 99% sure this is not how it is meant to be done. I looked at the vanilla Attribute files after the patch and the slot items, for example for the LMG42-Grenadiergroup are still being added via the sbps data of the squad. Unfortunatly that is about all I could figure out.

8 Apr 2016, 08:54 AM
Modmaker Badge

Lets me explain the way I did it:

In my Volksgrenadiers off map:
x1 LMG34
Veterancy level 1 (veterancy level 1 is about 800 points)
x6 team members
I have only one (1) ebps

I mod in my action apply extension (of my ebps)

Veterancy action:
135. Then 135 x 6=810

Slot item add: slot_item\german\small_arm\machine_gun\light_machine_gun\ger_lmg34_item

This is my ebps, now must set in you sbps:

Squad item slot:
number of slots: 1

And do not forget the slot item of the lmg34:
Slot item size: 1

Then your squad will appear with vet1 +x1LMG34
If you play with those values you will have what you want.
Btw, relic also block other stuff in the action apply ext of the sbps files. For example, I needed to move things like my tank commander data for the ebps file.
Why relic did that ? I really want to know the answer for this.
Maybe someone here know the answer.

I hope this data could help you
Regards
Olhausen
8 Apr 2016, 08:55 AM

confirmed. same issue. our stats for inf and weapons are there but in the finished Version its missing... hope Relic will take a look soon.
Dar
8 Apr 2016, 12:27 PM

Nice workaround, Olhausen. That certainly one way to do it, at least until we know what is actually going on with the extension in question.

And yeah, as mentioned before I am also aware that, of course it doesn't only affect the slot_item function.

The issue has also been posted in the bug reporting section of the new official forums, but unsurprisingly Relic has yet to respond to anything over there (They have generally become quite passive in the recent time I feel).
8 Apr 2016, 13:34 PM
Honorary Member Badge

What is the error/warning that you get in AE? Just out of curiosity.
Dar
8 Apr 2016, 13:59 PM

Well, currently there are none. No errors, no warnings. After all nothing in the AE has been changed. The entries and extensions are still there in the same form as they were before the recent patch - everything seems to be in order. The actions just won't be applied.
8 Apr 2016, 14:24 PM
Honorary Member Badge

So, since the mod tools have not been updated, they must have gotten rid of the extension in the patch. There is probably nothing that can be done until they also update the tools (which will show errors/warnings for what was changed).
Dar
8 Apr 2016, 15:47 PM

Yes, that is more or less what I expected. I wonder what their new solution is, though.
9 Apr 2016, 03:55 AM
Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Apr 2016, 12:27 PMDar
Nice workaround, Olhausen. That certainly one way to do it, at least until we know what is actually going on with the extension in question.

And yeah, as mentioned before I am also aware that, of course it doesn't only affect the slot_item function.

The issue has also been posted in the bug reporting section of the new official forums, but unsurprisingly Relic has yet to respond to anything over there (They have generally become quite passive in the recent time I feel).

Yes, the problem also affect a lot of stuff like veterancy, animations, upgrades, etc, etc and etc.
In my case I move all data to ebps files and for others stuff I use other categories & extension to apply them.
Sadly was the only way to fix the problem. Maybe is not the best way but at least is a solution.

Relic destroy in his last two updates the squad action apply ext of sbps; which coincidentally is the area where "we" (the modders) works more.
My advice to you is to migrate part of you modding work to another category or extension. Maybe relic fix the problem or maybe not but one thing is sure, they will do it again in a future.

10 Apr 2016, 08:28 AM
Developer Relic Badge

New update:

Seems this bug only occurs when you have a duplicate file/clone.

EX: If you have a Pathfinder clone sbsp the squad_action won't apply. If you delete that and return to using the original file, the Pathfinders arrive on the field with their M1s.
Dar
10 Apr 2016, 09:34 AM

New update:

Seems this bug only occurs when you have a duplicate file/clone.

EX: If you have a Pathfinder clone sbsp the squad_action won't apply. If you delete that and return to using the original file, the Pathfinders arrive on the field with their M1s.

Sure. Nothing out of the ordinary here. As long as a file isn't cloned, it won't be existent in your tuning pack's data, it won't attempt to overwrite the stock files and continue to draw the information from the vanilla database.
So it only affects cloned squads and custom squads.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 48
Sweden 26
Poland 8
United States 15
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L