Login

russian armor

An Idea for Artillery Guns

20 Mar 2016, 01:53 AM

In response to the balance post about arty guns being subpar, I had an idea to change the way arty guns work in CoH2.
I feel like howitzers and build-able artillery guns could be changed to off-map Manpower investments. Spend 600-800 MP to have one artillery gun at your disposal, and accumulate a battery of guns throughout the game. Limit the number of guns to 4-5 to stop spamming.
So basically you can task the battery fire missions much like arty call-ins work in the game, with the benefit of not having to use munitions. Gun still gains vet, and we could make it vulnerable to counter-barrages from enemy artillery guns. Guns fire without flares, and shells will land a bit slower than a regular arty call in. If arty call-ins have no range, why should arty guns.
Guns gain cool-down time and accuracy through vet, as well as counter barrage, AT and smoke shells, etc. Guns that have been knocked out by counter-barrages need time and manpower to be repaired and re-manned. Guns under counter-barrage suffer a reduced firing speed, but guns tasked to fire counter-barrages are unable to take fire missions for a given amount of time. Guns also have a brace ability: the crews will hide in bunkers, but the guns can still be damaged like team weapons. Crews can repair guns.
This solves the problems of arty being too vulnerable because it is now off the map, yet target-able through counter battery by enemy arty guns. The effectiveness will have to be tweaked but in general it should not be very effective, just something for the gun crews to think twice about. It won't break the game because you have a limited number of guns at your disposal. It is an asset because when used right, it can deny a victory point, slow a frontal push, prevent a flank, and in general, give more tactical options to a player. It is also a gamble for the player. Go straight for an arty gun and your infantry gets pushed back because they're outnumbered, and your tech also gets delayed.
20 Mar 2016, 02:04 AM

I don't think artillery is subpar. What happens is that using artillery is kinda hard, as it should be. I like the way it is right now.
20 Mar 2016, 21:26 PM

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS