Login

russian armor

AT squad for OKW with gasmask = no new voice acting needed

17 Mar 2016, 22:07 PM

hello all,

again and again I've seen people write OKW should have Panzerschrecks removed from Volks and instread should get an anti-tank squad.

(SIDENOTE: I am not saying I want such a change. I am neutral towards it. But my observation is that it has been asked for in notebale amounts. Relic sometimes gives in to popular demands, this is why I make the following suggestion to propose a creative and easy way to implement this in case such a change would become inevitable in Relic's eyes...)

And every time an okw at squad was suggested, I was thinking: What model would such a unit use? What kind of voice acting would it have?

Relic can always make new, or slighlty modified infantry models.
But voice acting... they seem to only be able to do voice recording when bigger 'expansions' are made (Brits, WFA, ...).

So they don't have unique, new voice acting available for such a new unit at the moment. So how to make it unique?

This is where I had an idea how to make such a unit unique and recognizeable.

Gasmasks.
I heard that Panzerschreck troops would sometimes wear gasmasks in WWII. The idea also appeared in the Eastern front mod, where they included Ofenrohrtruppen with gasmasks.

This would solve the 2 design problems when creating a new unit:
1) Voice-acting: The unit, wearing a mask, could constantly have a 'radio' voice (as it can be heard on normal units when they are far away from the current camera). I would suggest the okw weapon crew voice acting as basis.
2) Unique model: Relic would just need to create a little german gasmask, put it on the Volksgrenadier model (for example), create a new gas-masked portrait and they're done!

What do you think?
17 Mar 2016, 22:46 PM

I think people should stop whining about Volks having scheks.

As for balance/new units, I think it's GG CoH2.
Still not a single word from SEGA/Relic on re-structure, new testers, patches, etc
nee
17 Mar 2016, 23:31 PM

AT squad is called the Racketenwerfer, which can cloak and garrison buildings. If you want typical infantry you have to volks blob.

Personally I find the gasmask idea a lazy method, but I don't blame you for coming up with the idea, it's just Relic unwilling to commit to time and resources into making the game good. It's pretty much trying to milk the rest of the dead cow's teat while there's still some life left.
17 Mar 2016, 23:55 PM

The reason for the gasmasks, is because not every soldier was in favor of the shield next to the panzerschreck and would just remove the shield and equip a gasmask to protect their face
18 Mar 2016, 00:00 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Mar 2016, 23:55 PMNefer
The reason for the gasmasks, is because not every soldier was in favor of the shield next to the panzerschreck and would just remove the shield and equip a gasmask to protect their face

Thanks, I was wondering about that.

Certainly seems like a lose-lose situation though. Either the shield blocks your view, or the gasmask does!
18 Mar 2016, 03:10 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I think people should stop whining about Volks having scheks.

As for balance/new units, I think it's GG CoH2.
Still not a single word from SEGA/Relic on re-structure, new testers, patches, etc

You've only played like 30 matches and all axis, why do you have 200 posts here?
18 Mar 2016, 03:28 AM

Why have gasmasks when theres no gas? Not really necessary imo and they were used very rarely in ww2.

They were only really common in ww1 when gas attacks were a major problem.
18 Mar 2016, 03:56 AM

Gas masks were due to the toxic fumes, both from the backblast and the rear of the rocket.

The fumes and backblast also meant they couldn't be used from buildings or have troops behind them when they fired.
18 Mar 2016, 04:23 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Gas masks were due to the toxic fumes, both from the backblast and the rear of the rocket.

The fumes and backblast also meant they couldn't be used from buildings or have troops behind them when they fired.

https://youtu.be/GPhTZItRkPg?t=6m48s
18 Mar 2016, 04:43 AM

"https://youtu.be/GPhTZItRkPg?t=6m48s";

Well, I guess they knew that shrecks shouldn't be used from garrisons then... Gawd knows why they didn't implement it.
18 Mar 2016, 04:56 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Because manuals are for sissies, quitters, and sissy quitters.
19 Mar 2016, 07:22 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Mar 2016, 23:31 PMnee
AT squad is called the Racketenwerfer
19 Mar 2016, 09:44 AM

just to clarify: I neither support the addition of an AT squad to OKW, nor do I oppose it. I merely observed that it was a popular suggestion (that also made it into some mods); Relic sometimes gives in to such popular demands (yes, they actually do! :P). In case they would, I wanted to provide a simple, creative idea that would at least make such a unit unique, should they decide to add it. Especially in face of the limited possibilities to add new voice acting in between the bigger 'expansions'.

Since 3 people already got confused, I added my intent to the original post.

That aside, I still think a gasmasked unit could be neat. If done right. Relic's art guys have always been very talented, especially more recently. Look at how shiny the Brits are! :D I could really imagine them making a nice looking gasmasked model alteration with a badass portrait.
Besides, the german gasmasks are pretty iconic (even though that is mostly due to WWI).

Anyways, I do not insist on the addition of an okw AT squad.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 84
South Africa 1
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak