Login

russian armor

The current state of the Penal Battalion

18 Mar 2016, 10:09 AM
Donator 11

i havent tried penals in 1v1 yet, but in teamgames they are quite weak. while their AI is very good, a fast 222 or luchs punishes you superhard to the point where it is just not worth.

giving penals the AT grenade if unlocked in hq would solve the biggest problem with t1 imo. might be op then though
18 Mar 2016, 10:50 AM

Increase their cost (320), reduce their vanilla received accuracy (0.92 should do), increase their midrange distance (12 should be fine)

Very good idea!

But you are not going far enough.
Here what i propose :
Increase cost (580)
Increase vanilla accrec to 1.3
decrease number of model to 4
add smoke grenade
replace weapon by kar98

It think it is fine that way.

Kozokus.
18 Mar 2016, 10:53 AM

^ You are the funniest chick I've encountered in my whole life Hue Hue Hue
18 Mar 2016, 14:32 PM

i havent tried penals in 1v1 yet, but in teamgames they are quite weak. while their AI is very good, a fast 222 or luchs punishes you superhard to the point where it is just not worth.

giving penals the AT grenade if unlocked in hq would solve the biggest problem with t1 imo. might be op then though

I have now played this build over 30 times now and I have not had this problem. Either by my teammate putting out an AT gun at the appropriate time or myself unlocking guards/AT spartisans in time to deal with AI armor. Giving them an AT nade is overkill. Have you tried the build order I laid out in the OP?

Flame penals means no more worrying about spios wrecking your shit.

I'm going to have to dig through some replays and post a few so people believe me.
18 Mar 2016, 16:16 PM
Donator 11

i only tried it 2 times yet and one time on a map that was more 1v1 next to each other instead of teamgame and bad for AT guns. i was probably a bit late on my guards (i dont have the partisan doctrine) although i dont think that guards are a perfect counter to a luchs.

so yeah, its probably an l2p problem on my side :) guessed that too, thats why i wrote that AT nades would be op ^^
18 Mar 2016, 16:31 PM

i only tried it 2 times yet and one time on a map that was more 1v1 next to each other instead of teamgame and bad for AT guns. i was probably a bit late on my guards (i dont have the partisan doctrine) although i dont think that guards are a perfect counter to a luchs.

so yeah, its probably an l2p problem on my side :) guessed that too, thats why i wrote that AT nades would be op ^^

There are 2 doctrines with tank hunter partisans. The other one is called Soviet Reserve Army. Its based around ppsh con spam and a 152 howitzer. You basically need to have a guard squad out as soon as you can make it. Guards are to stall till t-34.
19 Mar 2016, 03:51 AM

I've added 2 replays to show how I play it. I will add more later. I am not making this up. Penals win games.
19 Mar 2016, 05:23 AM

I'm sorry but, what's the point of going for Penals after all if you still need to have Guards?

Cons + Maxim (with or without Guards) can handle Axis infantries and support your AT way better.
19 Mar 2016, 05:49 AM

I'm sorry but, what's the point of going for Penals after all if you still need to have Guards?

Cons + Maxim (with or without Guards) can handle Axis infantries and support your AT way better.

to rekt your enemy.

penals just dish ridiculous ammount of damage early game if you know how to attack and the enemy ignores you.

but I never make more than 2 squads, normally I just go for one, they are too situational.

like the other guy said, going penal is nice because you will just drop a huge pudding on sturms early game.

And guards are just too good right now to not get them.
19 Mar 2016, 06:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Mar 2016, 05:49 AMzerocoh

penals just dish ridiculous ammount of damage early game if...enemy ignores you.

It was great :thumb:
19 Mar 2016, 13:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Mar 2016, 05:49 AMzerocoh

to rekt your enemy.

penals just dish ridiculous amount of damage early game if you know how to attack and the enemy ignores you.

but I never make more than 2 squads, normally I just go for one, they are too situational.

like the other guy said, going penal is nice because you will just drop a huge pudding on sturms early game.

And guards are just too good right now to not get them.

I prefer a minimum of 3 as it is the magical number of penals needed to one shot full health OKW buildings.

I am destroying OKW buildings in the first 13 minutes. Walking up to Schwerer and dropping the hurt while losing 4 models across 3 squads. Then doing it again a few minutes later.
20 Mar 2016, 00:38 AM

I prefer a minimum of 3 as it is the magical number of penals needed to one shot full health OKW buildings.

I am destroying OKW buildings in the first 13 minutes. Walking up to Schwerer and dropping the hurt while losing 4 models across 3 squads. Then doing it again a few minutes later.

How to bake one OKW truck.

1. get 1 mortar, 1 engie and 1 penal.
2. put all 3 units in range.
3. drop smoke on truck.
4. move in engie and penal, and start planting a demo.
5. 2 seconds before the demo is layed, throw one satchel on top of the demo.
6. enjoy your cooked german truck!
22 Mar 2016, 12:41 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

I've been struggling with penals in 1v1. Do you have any ideas there?
22 Mar 2016, 16:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Mar 2016, 12:41 PMwouren

I've been struggling with penals in 1v1. Do you have any ideas there?

To be honest I haven't played a single 1v1 with this strat yet. Could you post a replay or two?
22 Mar 2016, 16:47 PM

To be honest I haven't played a single 1v1 with this strat yet. Could you post a replay or two?
I'll record my next game for you. It's so situational and map dependent that it's hard to plan for, even with vetoes.
22 Mar 2016, 18:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Mar 2016, 16:47 PMwouren
I'll record my next game for you. It's so situational and map dependent that it's hard to plan for, even with vetoes.

I think it works better vs OKW and not so much in 1v1. Still want to see how you play it. Maybe together we can figure out a way to make it work.

I normally dont even use vetos in 2v2 but 1v1 its any map with open territory.
22 Mar 2016, 18:29 PM

I really don't think it works in 1v1
22 Mar 2016, 22:58 PM

I really don't think it works in 1v1
yeah
23 Mar 2016, 14:39 PM

I added 2 new replays and updated some of the info to better reflect what I feel will yield the best results.

Later today I will look into changing my bulletins to nothing penal related in order to not tip my hand so early. At this point I think I can make do without them.
24 Mar 2016, 18:21 PM

Updated to flesh out the difference between Cons and Penals, also more basic strategy and counter-counter.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★