Login

russian armor

New 3v3 and 4v4 Maps

29 Feb 2016, 15:36 PM

First congratulations to all the map builders who go their map in rotation. I would like to discuss the two new larger game mode maps.

MonthermeMontargis Region,

Pros: Map has a variety of interesting combat spaces
Map is visually appealing
Clutter on roads is limited to facilitate vehicle pathing

Cons: Map has no clear flow
Completely uncontestable victory points
5 VP points is (in my opinion) not fun, it leads to huge losses of VP tickets just by retreating once
High income points are near one another and therefore easily covered by a single indirect fire weapon
Few pathways for infantry without narrow choke points
Fuel has only two entry points, is distant from base, and can be covered by Vickers with vet from so far away that units cannot get close enough to threaten
Strange choices in placement of hills and relief (makes AT guns very inconsistent)
Loss of any high resource point almost guarantees loss of other
Factions without FRP at extreme disadvantage

Summary: The map is fine for custom and comp stomp games, but cannot be a competitive map because it lacks the basic requirements of focusing gameplay and providing realistic opportunities to flank and unseat opponent. Map should be removed from automatch, currently a veto for me.

Hill 400

Pros: Really interesting cutoff set up
Map is basically symetrical with difference distinct enough to make sides easily understanable
Limits on buildings encourages good MG placement and movement of infantry
Map is simply pretty
Clear flow in gameplay from start to end
Addition of towers does not seem important, but at least is balanced and does add a bit of flavor

Cons: Indestructible tree sections really encourage camping at borderlines and emplacements from Brit players
Reduction of some elements outside of active fighting areas could assist vehicle pathfinding

Summary: I have not played much on this map yet, but I think it will be a good addition to the matchmaking rotation. Some elements could be tweaked to improve map.

Edit: Now with correct map names. Sorry for the confusion.
29 Feb 2016, 16:21 PM

The cutoff on hill 400 is way too far for your opponent to reach. I like the ebb and flow of the map, maybe a little less tree lines would help with some flanking issues.
29 Feb 2016, 16:29 PM
Patrion 14

montherme. 5vp?

are you sure you aren't talking about the Castle map?
29 Feb 2016, 16:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Feb 2016, 16:29 PMpigsoup
montherme. 5vp?

He's probably talking about that map with the bullsh*t fuel placement, which easily can become an invincible sim city. I think it was a coh1 remake?
29 Feb 2016, 16:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Feb 2016, 16:29 PMpigsoup
montherme. 5vp?

Sounds like hes talking about Lorch Assault, the 5-VP shit map. This map is terrible and should be taken out of the circuit.
29 Feb 2016, 17:07 PM

He's talking about montargis region, the new map in 3v3 and 4v4 rotation. I strongly dislike it. I do however think 5 vps is good with how the map is designed.
29 Feb 2016, 17:44 PM

Montargis region is a great map plz don't remove it !!!!!

We need diversity !
Thanks.
29 Feb 2016, 17:47 PM

i didnt liked montargis in coh1 and the same thing with the remake now for coh2. But i kinda like hill 400 although i played it only 5 times.
29 Feb 2016, 18:36 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Montargis is poorly optimized for Coh2, double fuel on the so called "Ammo Hill" is pretty much not cool. This map was great in vcoh but there the capturepoints were different, so you didnt have like on center area of fuel or one center area of ammo.

Hill 400 is just a slugfest in mid, far ways to cut, very campy map

29 Feb 2016, 18:58 PM

Montargis Region in CoH1 was awesome. Haven't played the CoH2 remake yet.

My favourite was redball express but the remake just isn't the same. It also lags alot for me unlike any other map.
1 Mar 2016, 03:18 AM
Patrion 14

Montargis Region in CoH1 was awesome. Haven't played the CoH2 remake yet.

My favourite was redball express but the remake just isn't the same. It also lags alot for me unlike any other map.

Looks cool.

i saw krebs game on this for coh1. looks pretty faithful and might be fun but definitely not sure about doubling up on fuel and ammo.
1 Mar 2016, 04:03 AM
Patrion 14

Montargis" first impression: too chokepointy.
1 Mar 2016, 10:29 AM

Hill 400 is just a slugfest in mid, far ways to cut, very campy map

Has more to do with Cancerous Gamem-Mode than Mapping per se. 2vs2(there it is Map-depending), 3vs3(very, very map-depending) and 4vs4(always) is either Spam/Slug-Fest or Camping. And even with more symmetrical Faction-balance(like in Age of Empires 2 e.g., where Differences beetween factions are rather Cosmetic(Buffs/Debuffs, pseudo-unique-Units) instead) with more than 4 Players(2vs2) it turns into fucking Command and Conquer Red-Retard-Style Spammin' and Hammin' (Any Blobbing-Haters would probably get a heart-attack if they would have played C&C Red Alert or Generals back in the days, those Games had only that as viable strategy if you failed to Rush your opponent(which is just another form of laming)
1 Mar 2016, 11:03 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

IMO mainproblem with montargis is new location of points. I could made a big post about difference between points system in coh and coh 2, but i just say that placing points in coh 2 like in vcoh is not a good idea.
1 Mar 2016, 12:37 PM

Hill 400 is a real good map but the cut off points seem bugged. Can't seem to ever place any emplacements on the river side of the map.
1 Mar 2016, 16:22 PM

Agree 100%. For instance to attack the double fuel (which you have to do once you lose it or you will get rolled), you can attack from only two locations (a third is only available if you walk into your opponents base). Both of these are uphill (negating AT guns basically), both funnel down simple roads, both lack cover, and both have buildings overlooking them where MGs can hang out. This leads to another problem: fuels can effectively never be split between teams since the capture of one necessitates the capture of the other. This map is not appropriate for high level play since a single engagement can decide the game immediately. It also distracts from the rest of the maps since everything is ancillary until the fuel is captured because you get 2 VP points just for spawning in your own base.
1 Mar 2016, 16:34 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Ressource points are poorly chosen, is more of the issue.
1 Mar 2016, 17:48 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Mar 2016, 16:34 PMd0ggY

Ressource points are poorly chosen, is more of the issue.

its an experiment. Doubling up on high resource points. I think because each side already have 6 normal resource points (1 more than usual), i am thinking caches + dominance on other sides so you have 1-2 of enemies' normal RP might be fine.

i dont know yet.
1 Mar 2016, 17:53 PM
Senior Caster Badge

its an experiment. Doubling up on high resource points. I think because each side already have 6 normal resource points (1 more than usual), i am thinking caches + dominance on other sides so you have 1-2 of enemies' normal RP might be fine.

i dont know yet.

It worked out for coh1, the so called Ammo hill was great fighting Area and the mid of course too. But let's say the one team has to cache up to get nearly the fuel income of the other team, they build more cashes aswell and are way far ahead again.
1 Mar 2016, 18:14 PM

I'm yet to play on any of these new maps. Automatch keeps picking old maps. Rng I guess. :P
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★