Login

russian armor

soviet (rank 130) against okw (rank 7) on langres

23 Feb 2016, 14:33 PM

hi, would like some tips how i should have won this. really depressing lose considering he was rank #7 and i had the game already, kinda. he had an amazing comeback thought.

what to do against jp4+stuka combo? my atgs were useless and my tanks got hardcountered by jp4. my enemy didnt know a counter to it too.

24 Feb 2016, 12:10 PM

Don't think that I have played as much as you but I will take a look and see if I notice anything.

***Edit***

Ok, just going to say that although your early and mid game were good I still felt that they could be stronger and there were a couple of things in general that I noticed throughout the game which I will start out with.

General tips:

1. Consolidate your forces – You started to do this more later in your game however at the start you had several attacks that were thrown off relatively easily by your opponent because he had his whole army there and yours were either back in your base or capping some points nearby.
2. Cap Order – Try to find a more efficient capping order. Until you had your opponent cut off you actually had less fuel income than he did.
3. Nade mechanics – Nades turn out to be pretty ineffective at clearing houses for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they do reduced damage (except mollies and incendiary which do 25% more) and secondly your opponent will likely just jump out and reenter.

Ok, let’s dive in…

Early Game
1. You start off by sending your first engineer into territory where you will most likely encounter an enemy to cap while your conscripts start capping towards the edge of the map where they don’t encounter enemies for quite a while. Try swapping these squads so your cons can do more fighting earlier on.
2. You cap your munitions before your fuel point and you don’t seem to lay overly many mines, nor do you tech mollies early or AT nades (at all). Try prioritizing fuel unless you are planning on using a muni heavy strat.
3. You start building a mortar as you are trying to cut-off your opponent. This seems to be a strange decision as a mortar doesn’t give you staying power that an extra con or HMG (or even a flamer engi) could have given you.
4. You successfully cut-off your opponent however you get pushed off relatively easily. Your HMGs got flanked as your cons were capping nearby but out of the action. After your HMGs had retreated you moved your cons in to take some damage and then also retreat (how’s that for not one step back?)

Mid Game
1. You start by building an ATG which is not a bad idea but it seems a bit early. I see many experts simply getting AT nades (which are better on their own than a lone ATG) and getting an ATG a bit later.
2. Although your opponent has teched (apparent by his inc nades and then later his LeIG) you do not for quite a while. A T70 would have been very good for scouting, and preventing harassing.
3. You catch your opponent putting up his Schwerer HQ which telegraphs that he will be going for heavy armour. You have some initial success at putting damage on it however you end up being pushed back and then you stopped attacking it. After being thrown off the first time you could have simply consolidated your forces and gone in to finish it off before your opponent can build more armour.
4. When you eventually tech your first unit out is a T70 which is used on the front line and he promptly dies. A SU76 would have likely served you better seeing as how you know that your opponent is likely going to start fielding some heavy armour and if you damage your opponent’s vehicles with your ATGs and have it snared then your SU76 can hunt it down and deliver the coup de grace.

Late Game
1. One major thing I noticed from this point onwards is that although you were doing considerable damage to your opponent’s armour it still ended up getting away because it wasn’t snared. AT nades may not do much damage they will slow down your opponent’s tank so that it doesn’t have the blitz ability. This allows you to do more damage to his armour or he must play more conservatively with it.
2. Another thought I had at this point has to do with your T70 usage. The T70 stops being a unit that can fight on the front lines after your opponent has more than a little AT. At that point he switches his role to be an anti-harassment unit. A T70 and engi combo goes a long way towards keeping the edges of the map safe from your enemy.
3. Your opponent’s LeIG has been doing considerable work all game long. Try hot keying your mortar and continually barraging his LeIG or alternatively you could have barraged it with your Zis which was in range for quite a while at one point.
4. You are continually pushing towards your opponent’s cut-off (which you get after a while) but you could have made a push towards his Panzer HQ. Continually putting pressure on it with you Zis (which outranges it) you could have opened up the right side again and allowed yourself access the not just his VP but also his fuel. Cut-offs aren’t as useful later in the game as most people start floating tons of fuel and most teching is already done.
5. Against his stukas you could try sneaking your stolen reketten around the side and seeing if you can stuff a couple rockets into the side. A stuka should die in 2 hits and then your reketten can just retreat back to base. If he doesn’t make it, then just steal another one :p

I believe that the key reasons that your opponent was able to make a comeback are as follow:
1. You never had the ability to snare his vehicles.
2. You stopped attacking his Panzer HQ after your first attack failed (this allowed him to hold on to the VPs which lead to a longer game and allowed him to make his comeback).
3. Failure to tech.

That is my 2 cents.
24 Feb 2016, 15:01 PM

Hi, I watched your replay. I'm not a good player or anything but here's my opinion:

In the early game I don't think you need a mortar. There's no MG-34 around or even if he has MG-34 you can easily counter it with your Maxims. If you want to get him out of those buildings just upgrade flamers and/or Molotov.

You're floating munition at some points but did not use Demo?

At the 32 minutes mark you're floating almost 1000 manpower and 200 fuel or so but not teching at all. Should've gone for T4 and made 2 Kats instead of IS-2(no IS-2 if you see JpzIV). In my opinion if the game drags that long against OKW you really need Kats.

Hope that help :).
24 Feb 2016, 15:06 PM

Hi, I watched your replay. I'm not a good player or anything but here's my opinion:

In the early game I don't think you need a mortar. There's no MG-34 around or even if he has MG-34 you can easily counter it with your Maxims. If you want to get him out of those buildings just upgrade flamers and/or Molotov.

You're floating munition at some points but did not use Demo?

At the 32 minutes mark you're floating almost 1000 manpower and 200 fuel or so but not teching at all. Should've gone for T4 and made 2 Kats instead of IS-2(no IS-2 if you see JpzIV). In my opinion if the game drags that long against OKW you really need Kats.

Hope that help :).

wow thanks for the tip. i was kinda scared off kt but that would have surely close the game.

right about demos, ingame it felt like i had no spare second with pios, i barely laid mines too, i always had something to do with them, but ishould have, totally right.

many thanks.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment