Login

russian armor

Viable Strategy(?): Waiting for MG42 to reload

20 Feb 2016, 09:49 AM

Permanently Banned
So I was playing the US in Lorch Assault, fighting against Wehrmacht in the north (with all the buildings in). Obviously Wehr spams 3 MG42s and garrisons them in buildings. Being USF, there's no way of countering them early game without frags so what I did was have a rifleman occupy a building and take a series of MG42 bursts before it finally started reloading. With that, i exited the building and squad wiped it with a frag.

And I'm wondering if this is a good strategy not just for USF, but for Allies too. I'm not sure how long the MG42 takes to reload in COH2 but it does seem like it's more than enough to close in and frag/molotov the gun, or even flank around it. This would especially be good for Conscripts too to ura and lob a molotov.

I guess the biggest problem with this is that you have to be aware when the MG42 is reloading. And given the chaotic battles and skirmishes going on at multiple spots in COH2, I think it can be hard to be that aware. Plus it doesn't help that Grenadiers & vehicles also play the same MG42 audio clip, which further confuses player whether it's the HMG or not.

And yes, as USF I am aware in that scenario I could have fired a smoke grenade. But I think that would have given away my plan on fragging the MG, in which he would exit out and move to another building. And finally this was early game so you get about only 1 or 2 frags before you run out of ammunition.
20 Feb 2016, 09:56 AM

Should be - but it would be hard to tell when, hopefully this is something they could work into COH3
20 Feb 2016, 10:07 AM

Permanently Banned
Should be - but it would be hard to tell when, hopefully this is something they could work into COH3

Yeah, I would love some notification, even through dialogue like: "Hey! They're reloading!" or "Finally! They're reloading, comrades!"

But often it won't just be one Machinegun suppressing you but rather at least 2 in team games, so that would be hard to design/program. Perhaps the German crew members would say "Scheisse! Reloading!" and if you pick it up, you would act upon that.

Visual indicators like a "Reloading" text next to the MG squad might be too blatant :b
20 Feb 2016, 15:02 PM

Way easier to just flank it.
20 Feb 2016, 15:07 PM

Permanently Banned
Way easier to just flank it.

Easier said than done, given the MG42s WIDE WIDE firing arc :B

I know, it depends on the map, location, etc. but more often than not they got the flanks secured either by infantry or more MG42s :P
20 Feb 2016, 15:20 PM

You can flank an MG42 by running straight through its arc. If you are asking whether it is easier/better to wait for an MG42 to reload compared with flanking it I would have to say flanking is way easier.
24 Feb 2016, 15:41 PM

Run two squads simultaneously at the MG42, each one at the edge of the arc and one will get through because the MG42 can't swap targets fast enough. Or the play has to micro it himself which most dont.
24 Feb 2016, 15:58 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2016, 15:41 PMKharn
Run two squads simultaneously at the MG42, each one at the edge of the arc and one will get through because the MG42 can't swap targets fast enough. Or the play has to micro it himself which most dont.

I always wondered if that was possible. I dont know if the MG42 had a fast enough turn rate so i often dont risk putting two squads in harms way. And it does depend on the map i suppose.

But yeah, thanks for the info, i'll try that :)
24 Feb 2016, 16:37 PM

If you continue to have issues, equip the USF grenade bulletins too, 7% x 3.. 21% nade throw range. I know the pain though, you set back your teching to throw nades, you set back equipping weapons to throw nades.. You just wish you had an easier way to crack them out of the buildings. Although if you manage to capture one, nothing is scarier than a USF player with a good MG...
25 Feb 2016, 00:42 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2016, 16:37 PMKharn
If you continue to have issues, equip the USF grenade bulletins too, 7% x 3.. 21% nade throw range. I know the pain though, you set back your teching to throw nades, you set back equipping weapons to throw nades.. You just wish you had an easier way to crack them out of the buildings. Although if you manage to capture one, nothing is scarier than a USF player with a good MG...

I used to have the farther frag throw perk but the current loadout im going with is: 10% faster production and reinforcing for Riflemen, 10% faster riflemen veterancy, and I think I might have a 3% accuracy for Riflemen since I want to squad wipe retreating soldiers.

I guess I could swap the last one for the 7% farther grenade throw
25 Feb 2016, 02:07 AM
Admin Red  Badge

The MG42 will burst fire six times before it reloads. So after the fifth, you can send two squads at it. One to take the sixth burst, the other to nade or get past it.
26 Feb 2016, 02:30 AM

Rush REs or Rifles into the key garrisons, try and hold on against the onslaught, and spam some hmgs of your own. Without incendiary a 50 cal in a garrison only narrowly loses to a MG42 in yellow/green cover

26 Feb 2016, 13:13 PM

Permanently Banned
@Yukiko

That'll be hard to keep in mind, especially after the 5 minute mark :P Thanks for the info :)

@BeefSurge

As much as I often want to use US HMGs, I always find that by the time I manage to get them in, either the blobs are too much for an HMG to handle D: Or they have Leigs, mortars, vehicles, and etc that wipe out my HMG.

I wish the unit was buffed or at least given some better ability than just 'Sprint' >_<

I mean, arent there supposed to be a lot of different types of ammunition?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG

So far I see some incendiary and armor piercing rounds.
27 Feb 2016, 08:40 AM

Pop 15 munitions smoke and just run straight to it if you encounter mg spam
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight