Login

russian armor

OKW or OST for a newbie ?

17 Feb 2016, 17:26 PM

HI,

As a newbie I wonder which faction is better to start to progress, OST or OKW ?
Which army is more offensive/defensive ?
I do prefer a kind of game where you are to struggle hard in beginning/mid game and to finish strongly than a game where you get a lot of points and areas till mid game and where you collapse at the end.

Some advise from experienced guys ???

Thanks.
17 Feb 2016, 17:43 PM
Developer Relic Badge

OKW is the easier one and the one that seems to suit better what you said :).
17 Feb 2016, 17:54 PM

OKW is certainly easier to play , both have strong mid to late game however ostheer suffers from a weak early game, and by weak i mean that any mistake or squad loss early on might cost you the game .
17 Feb 2016, 20:11 PM

Okw is easier/cheesier, OH is gonna make you a better player in the long run.
Also, I applaud your taste in graphic novels.
AVA
17 Feb 2016, 20:23 PM

Like already mentioned, OKW requires less micro intensive play, and you don't need a lot of diverse units (like ostheer).

Just pick the one you like playing more is my opinion. I think if you start as ostheer, you'll become a really solid player once you understand that faction. OKW playstyle is hated by most (as people tend to 'blob' which means just rushing all units as a group from location to location, which unfortunately works and is strong as OKW, a design flaw).
17 Feb 2016, 20:34 PM

OKW is easier but has less tools at its disposal.
17 Feb 2016, 22:54 PM

Thanks a lot for all your answers mates :-)
17 Feb 2016, 23:14 PM
Donator 11

mg, grenadiers, sniper, mortar, pak, halftrack -> Ostheer !
...wasn't there a time when coh was about combined arms ? But its tricky to recommend the most basic gameplay faction when there is usf / brits to play against in multiplayer. :S

fair to say, IMHO Axis in general are more straight forward for newbies. :)
18 Feb 2016, 11:33 AM

I started with ostheer so ive learned it the hard way. You will suffer and you will have many games losing without the feeling of actually beeing outplayed. It gives you great unit presevervation and map awareness, and you will know the timings of enemy units pretty fast because its so crucial as ost. Okw is really forgiving in these points.

But it will reward you at the end if you switch to other factions at some point. Just compare the games I played with ostheer and other factions and what ranks i achieve with them. Makes a huge difference

Edit: one of the most important points: get autohotkey ASAP, if you want to play to win (not playing for fun) you need to rebind your Keys. Camera movement with WASD, having tactical map on Q, attack move on E and so on. If you can use your hotkeys, move the camera with your Keyboard, you gain alot of time to Manage other units resulting in better positioning, unit preservation and all that stuff. Oh and lay alot of mines, mines win games :luvCarrot:
18 Feb 2016, 11:40 AM

It's better to start Ostheer for learning to play because the faction is based on variety of units and is more flexible. But OKW is more "noob friendly" I suppose.
18 Feb 2016, 12:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2016, 11:40 AMCafo
It's better to start Ostheer for learning to play because the faction is based on variety of units and is more flexible. But OKW is more "noob friendly" I suppose.

I wouldn't recommend ostheer atm to a beginner. It's very micro intensive, positioning is very very important and you need to do just the right things in general to win a game.

Very difficult early game leads you to being one step behind in the mid-game. Later on with good play or outplaying your opponent you might get a comeback.
18 Feb 2016, 13:23 PM
Patrion 15

Steps to win as OKW:foreveralone:
-6 Volks with shreks.
-Crtl+1 all of them.
-Right Click to any enemies.
18 Feb 2016, 14:37 PM

OKW is probably the easiest faction to play, hands down. That doesn't mean they're the strongest or overpowered, just that they don't require a ton of micro.

In my opinion, OKW is fairly strong throughout the entire match, with quick capping power in the early game, and some of the best armor available for the late game. Their mainline infantry (Volks) also have a ton of utility as well. They can act as standard infantry, they have access to the panzershreck for anti-tank roles, and they also have access to incendiary grenades, so they're excellent at clearing garrisons. There's very little a group of volks can't do, which is why you'll commonly hear about them being "blobbed". They also get access to various trucks, and can really lock down an area if they choose to play aggressively.

Ost on the other hand, pretty much has the tools to handle any type of situation, and IMO are the most complete faction in the game. However, because they revolve around their strong support weapons, each individual unit has a lot less utility. For a newer player, I do think ost may be more challenging, but I also think you'll get better at understanding the different unit types and how they should operate together.

Ost is also a very defensive type faction. You'll typically start slow, but if you can hang on, you'll eventually start to snowball through the match. Like OKW, ost has access to some of the best late armor in the game.

18 Feb 2016, 15:26 PM

Okw is easier/cheesier, OH is gonna make you a better player in the long run.
Also, I applaud your taste in graphic novels.

Cheers mate for your answer and for Corto's congrat :- )
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★