Login

russian armor

Recon Commander suggested changes

Uhu
9 Feb 2016, 01:58 AM

I play recon commander time to time. Here are some of my thoughts to make this commander more interesting while avoiding too much effort on the part of the developers to apply them.

Increased LOS for riflemen:
It's an okay passive ability. Maybe reduce it to CP0?

I&R Pathfinders:
Change their camo ability so that they remain in camo while moving. This allows them to sneak around and keep a LOS on the enemy. Otherwise, they are balanced.

Greyhound: Presently, it's in a weird spot. It fills the role of a light and fast scout vehicle, but we have have an M20 (and it plants mines too!). It also does not scale well into-late game. Here are some changes to the veterancy to address these issues:
>Vet1: Gains ability "Recon Tracking"; Similar to the USSR T-70 ability, the greyhound will temporarily (20s) have an increased sight radius and track infantry on the minimap. The drawback: the greyhound's movements will slow down by ~50% and the main gun will not fire.
>Vet2: Increased line of sight. (+ established vet bonuses)
>Vet3: Increase the line of sight of nearby infantry and vehicles. (+ established vet bonuses)

I felt these added changes will boost its performance and retain this commander's 'theme', and it avoids being op (it's still fragile). It has a unique role compared to the M20.

Overflight recon:
It's okay.

Paratrooper call-in:
This ability is... infeasible. Remove the randomized weapon loadout. Keep it to 1 squad of paratroopers, only. This reflects the changes to the Wehr/OKW commanders (ie. osttruppen with mg's, double P4 call-ins).
There are two options that I considered for this ability:
I) Call-in a single squad of paratroopers (identical to the Airborne Commander); or
II) P47 Strafes the area and a squad of paratroopers drops in. (MP cost + Munitions cost)

Let me know what you think!
9 Feb 2016, 02:15 AM
Donator 11

I agree with most proposed changes. The only one that seems not ok to me is paratrooper callin. Right now it is a unique ability, with your change it will either become a copy of airborn commander callin or okw fallschirmjeager drop. In fact it would be enough to: set weapons so that these are always the same and lower the cost. Or, drop standard paras like in airborn commanders, possibly 2 squads at the time with no weapons and drop crates nearby so they can choose their weapons and hand remaining ones to rifles/REs.
Uhu
9 Feb 2016, 03:42 AM

True, it would feel like a copy and paste.

I suppose the 2 squad call-in is good too. It can be used as a last resort for high inf losses. Or the paratroopers can take on an AI role while vet rifles are equipped with 'zooks for AT role.

It would be nice if Relic were to apply these changes.
9 Feb 2016, 04:55 AM

Replace the Greyhound with a lower CP enabled airdropped MG crew.

Then you can skip the LT tech & actually have some suppression/anti Inf.
9 Feb 2016, 05:40 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Feb 2016, 03:42 AMUhu
True, it would feel like a copy and paste.

I suppose the 2 squad call-in is good too. It can be used as a last resort for high inf losses. Or the paratroopers can take on an AI role while vet rifles are equipped with 'zooks for AT role.

It would be nice if Relic were to apply these changes.

It doesnt even have to be a "last resort" ability. We already have late game units that cost over 600 manpower and infantry squads that cost 400. So if it was between 600 and 700 mp instead of 900 it would be simply usefull, with or without other changes.
9 Feb 2016, 19:04 PM
Patrion 28

the greyhound would be better than the m20 if the main gun was actually effective. even after the buff it's still shit and canister shot is (rightfully) not OP anymore.
9 Feb 2016, 19:08 PM

the greayhound is the penal battalion of the light vehicles
9 Feb 2016, 19:16 PM

I like the changues unless the last one, aswell, i would changue the riflemen one for somekind of upgrade that works like spotting scopes, so they see x2 when they are standing still
9 Feb 2016, 21:09 PM

the greayhound is the penal battalion of the light vehicles
Uhu
9 Feb 2016, 22:40 PM

I like the changues unless the last one, aswell, i would changue the riflemen one for somekind of upgrade that works like spotting scopes, so they see x2 when they are standing still

That's an interesting one. Reminds me of the G43 upgrades for fusiliers to spot further.
Uhu
9 Feb 2016, 22:42 PM

the greyhound would be better than the m20 if the main gun was actually effective. even after the buff it's still shit and canister shot is (rightfully) not OP anymore.

Perhaps the canister shot could be changed from insta-wipe to reducing the overall health of the squad like the WP smoke shot (instead of damage over time, the effect is near instantaneous). The main gun and riflemen can easily pick off the grens thereafter.
9 Feb 2016, 23:16 PM

Good suggestions to bring back a under performing commander would be nice too add these changes, only if like 90% of Soviet and Ostheer commanders were half useful.
10 Feb 2016, 06:30 AM
Patrion 27

I made essentially the same thread a while ago and it died. Perhaps we could revive that instead of making new ones?
10 Feb 2016, 06:35 AM
Patrion 28

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Feb 2016, 22:42 PMUhu

Perhaps the canister shot could be changed from insta-wipe to reducing the overall health of the squad like the WP smoke shot (instead of damage over time, the effect is near instantaneous). The main gun and riflemen can easily pick off the grens thereafter.

i don't remember the exact specifics of how it works now but it no longer crits on hit. my personal soluation to canister would be make it fire in a cone and do about 40 damage. this makes it powerful against blobs and single squads but doesn't make it a wipe machine by itself.
Uhu
10 Feb 2016, 17:44 PM

I made essentially the same thread a while ago and it died. Perhaps we could revive that instead of making new ones?

I'm sorry! I didn't see it until you mentioned it now.
10 Feb 2016, 23:15 PM
Patrion 27

So now that We've seen Mobile Assault Regiment for UKF every faction except USF has at least one infantry unit that can spawn from ambient buildings.

Relic PLEASE upgrade Pathfinders to spawn from ambient buildings. You could raise their price to 300 or even 320 MP and move them to 2 cp if it's too strong but throw me a bone here. :guyokay:

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★