Login

russian armor

Can it play it?

7 Feb 2016, 13:40 PM

Hi there, a standard "can it play it" question from me:

A friend and myself enjoy playing strategic games together (rts or turnbased)and are looking into COH2 (and prehaps COH1). Both are 75% off for the next few days! :)

My system sager laptop (I7-3630@2.4GHz, 8 GB ram and GTX 670MX) should run both games pretty ok. I assume I should aim for low/medium settings to get good framerate?

For my friend, I am much more uncertain if he can really run the game with enough fps to make it playable. He has a Macbook Air 2015...especially the GPU, an Intel HD Graphics 6000, makes me worried.

Has anyone been able to play CoH2 (or CoH1) on a Macbook air 2015? Is it playable/enjoyable?
7 Feb 2016, 14:54 PM

Coh1 will run well at low settings for ur friend, but not coh2.
you can run coh2 at low settings with good freamrate(coh1 too)
7 Feb 2016, 15:12 PM
Donator 22

I dont have a macbook but my laptop has the intel hd 4400. it works but you hav to go really low on the settings to get an alright framerate. with the 6000 it might be much better tough ;)
7 Feb 2016, 16:13 PM

Thank you both for your replies. Seems like it might be worth trying to install CoH2 on my friends Macbook air just to check if it is playable... I checked and steam does support refunds in such cases!(this might be old news for some, but I had not heard of it before)

Worst case, we can both play CoH1...
7 Feb 2016, 23:15 PM
Donator 11

when my graphics card broke down i had to play coh2 on the iGPU of an a8-5600k and it worked! so an interl hd 6000 should be no problem!
8 Feb 2016, 00:30 AM
Donator 11

Mind that you guys need same operating system to play the game together. Windows, Linux/SteamOS and mac versions are incompatibile, have separate automatch pools and cant be played in one match without sync errors. The best solution around it is to install windows as second OS on your friends macbook as most players play on windows and it is hard to find matches on other platforms. On the other hand if you would like to play only against each other or AI then linux and mac versions are better optimised so your friend would have less problems with that.
8 Feb 2016, 08:44 AM

Mind that you guys need same operating system to play the game together. ...

Thats...horrible! Thank you for this info... I am no mac person and had no idea. One more reason to never by a mac for me I guess.

At least my friend have an old windows computer that hopefully should be able to run CoH1... The macbook air is already dualbooted with OS X and Linux, thus no room left for windows.

Thank you all for your help!
8 Feb 2016, 09:25 AM
Donator 11

Thats...horrible! Thank you for this info... I am no mac person and had no idea. One more reason to never by a mac for me I guess.

This is not really a mac thing, I mean I am not fan of apple myself but in this case its the studio that ported the game to linux and mac that screw up, not apple. They did a great job with optimisation, as I have never seen a port that works much faster than original but they didn't use portable number libraries so every version has slightly different results of every calculation cousing the game to desync after few minutes. At least that was their official answer on this. And this is the most stupid reasoning I've ever heard. In my opinion they did it the lazy way and coused their ports to be completely useless that way. If they did it right I would play coh2 on linux only...
8 Feb 2016, 09:37 AM

Well, if you're looking for a chill Co-op action in a form of ToW in coh2 both of you should be fine, your pc should be easily able to run coh2 and but your friends pc worries me a bit, might get a decent (40~ish) fps on all low

Going to multiplayer changes everything tho, from my experience multiplayer lags a lot more than ToW or campaing etc..
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★