Login

russian armor

Artillery: Barrage or Target?

3 Jul 2013, 20:41 PM

Anyone know the pros and cons of using an artillery unit's Barrage ability versus targeting a specific unit?

I know the basics...that the Barrage can be fired into the FOW and that it will continue to fire a set number of times, and targeting will stop firing once you've lost site of the unit being targeted. But when's the best time to use these options?

For instance, if I have a squad pinned by an MG and I'm willing to let the squad take some damage, am I better off targeting that MG directly with a mortar while it's in my sight? Or should I just lay a barrage on the MG's location and retreat the pinned squad.

And any other barrage vs. target insight is appreciated.
3 Jul 2013, 20:48 PM

Mortar barrage fires 3 projectiles faster than with normal targeting iirc
3 Jul 2013, 22:16 PM

Am I right in assuming that targeting will cause the artillery to adjust it's shots as the unit moves (as long as it stays within your sight, of course? If so, I guess that's one definite benefit over barrage.

But what about the accuracy...is it also more likely to hit closer to the unit being targeted as opposed to a barrage hitting near the center of its targeting circle?
3 Jul 2013, 22:30 PM

For normal mortars:
As an alternative, you can also attack ground for targets like buildings or aiming blindly into the fog of war. When firing into the fog of war all your attacks are about 25% less accurate (though it might well be 56.25% less accurate from R²*PI, not sure how it is calculated in game).

Germany (81 mm): Barrage and auto attack have the same accuracy (center of barrage or auto attack on stationary unit) but barrage fires faster with more range and auto attack tracks the unit of course.

Soviet (82 mm): Barrage is more accurate, fires faster and farther. auto attack tracks the target.

Of course when tracking a target, they seem to fire at the current position of the unit about 2 seconds or so before the shell actually arrives so they don't hit moving targets as good.
4 Jul 2013, 00:27 AM

Barrage is always better if you think the enemy will stay in the area where you are firing (either because they are stationary or you are leading them) due to the rate of fire.
4 Jul 2013, 00:56 AM

i think if you right click a enemy troop with the rocket truck, he should get out of the truck, run over to them; and begin hitting them on the head with a bottle of vodka
8 Jul 2013, 00:08 AM

The reason I find for the distinction between a targeted fire and barrage is that the barrage fires the rounds off in rapid succession. This is good for bombarding a dug in position by the enemy.

Target fire is better when you're trying to advance with your own infantry because a lot of times if you push the enemy will pull back. If you have a barrage up in the air you create a hazardous area for your own advancing units.

Whereas a target fire can be easily and quickly halted allowing your units to push further up without worrying about those shells you fired landing on their heads.
8 Jul 2013, 00:28 AM

i think if you right click a enemy troop with the rocket truck, he should get out of the truck, run over to them; and begin hitting them on the head with a bottle of vodka

Similar to the Sniper. I right click on a squad and they generally decide to run up and try to fist fight.
8 Jul 2013, 00:32 AM

Permanently Banned
My experience is that Mortars are far FAR more accurate on spotted targets.

I cannot confirm this from stats.
8 Jul 2013, 00:37 AM

My experience is that Mortars are far FAR more accurate on spotted targets.

I cannot confirm this from stats.

Most weapons (including mortars/artillery) have a FoW angle and a FoW distance multiplier of 1.25. I think this means that both the scatter angle and scatter max get increased by 25% when firing into the FoW (blind).

This is why they are less accurate by barraging/ground attacking into the FoW/unspotted targets.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 15

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight