Login

russian armor

2x Puma No-Schwerer Build

3 Feb 2016, 10:17 AM

I've been having some success lately with some sorta unusual OKW builds that center around Pumas and forgo the Schwerer Panzer HQ until really late in the game.

Usually I do something like this:

3x Volksgrenadiers
Second Sturmpioneer squad

Then either:

Battlegroup HQ: If I want healing and am not concerned about fighting a fast light vehicle
Mechanized HQ: If I feel rushing a Luchs would be advantageous or if I am concerned about enemy light vehicles and want a Puma

At this point I have a lot of flexibility. Ideally, I'd get a Luchs to pressure the opposing player into getting a light vehicle to counter, and then respond with a Puma. If the enemy player goes instead for medium armour, I'll upgrade all my Volks with Panzershrecks and get a second Puma. It's surprisingly economical to get two Pumas - just 140 fuel.

Additional options:

2x LeIGs: If fighting British emplacements or Soviet support weapons on open ground
Walking Stuka: If fighting Soviet support weapons on an urban map

At this point, I'm fighting medium armour with just two Pumas and some Volksgrenadiers. It's extremely important to prevent the enemy player from getting a critical mass of medium armour. Get creative. Try to bait the initial medium tank and kill it with the Pumas or else try to get lucky with some land mines. Pumas aren't very durable, so they can't win straight-up fights, but they have good damage output and two of them can kill an overextended or damaged tank rather quickly.

From here on, just try to accumulate enough fuel for your Schwerer and then a King Tiger. This will probably win you the game, thing as opposing players aren't likely to have bothered building much anti-tank when all they're facing is infantry and a handful of light vehicles.

As far as doctrines go, I like Luftwaffe quite a bit with this. The Panzerfaust snare provided by Fallschirmjagers gels nicely with the Pumas, and the MG34 is a nice tool. Scavenge works too. If you try this build in team games, you can go Breakthrough and get a Jagdtiger instead of the King Tiger.

Why I think this build is good:

- Non-meta
- Minimizes fuel and manpower invested in teching
- Ultra-flexible
- Strong early-mid game

What this build is bad against:

- Pumas can't really fight T-34/85s, Easy 8s, and Comets
- Vulnerable while waiting for the King Tiger
- Rather micro-intensive thing as all your vehicles are fragile
- Can't lock territory down with the Schwerer

Anyways, I thought this was worth writing about. Trying to avoid more conventional builds as much as I can.
3 Feb 2016, 10:48 AM

You are doomed with a one well-placed mine overwatched by an antitank gun.
7 Feb 2016, 10:26 AM

Nice tip but you rely on pumas and volk a lot
7 Feb 2016, 10:29 AM
Donator 11

You are doomed with a one well-placed mine overwatched by an antitank gun.

I guess thats why he goes double sturmpios.
7 Feb 2016, 10:55 AM

hmm interesting BO, nice i would love to try

Tnx Carlos
9 Feb 2016, 01:03 AM

Why I think this build is good:

- Non-meta
- Minimizes fuel and manpower invested in teching
- Ultra-flexible
- Strong early-mid game

What this build is bad against:

- Pumas can't really fight T-34/85s, Easy 8s, and Comets
- Vulnerable while waiting for the King Tiger
- Rather micro-intensive thing as all your vehicles are fragile
- Can't lock territory down with the Schwerer

Anyways, I thought this was worth writing about. Trying to avoid more conventional builds as much as I can.

Fuel investment doesn't seem too much of a concern to OKW. However i commend your attempt to do something different rather then the usual mindless shrek blob + panzer katze spam.

In my experience Puma-centric builds can be really fun and dynamic, however if you want to go puma heavy consider the Mobile Defense doctrine from Ostheer, the Command Panzer gives your Pumas the much needed durability, and if you stack enough Pumas your enemy is very screwed.

Pumas are great if the game is already tipped to your favour. In more desperate situation they are a liability because they lack the staying power of more heavily armed and armoured tanks.
12 Feb 2016, 06:41 AM

hello, i just want to ask..is it Viable for me to go 2 puma n 2 Stuka?

that cost 140 Fuel + 200 Fuel?..

cause would it be disadvantage?..
2 Stuka is for SimCity play..

or just 2 Puma 1 Stuka n 1 ISG?
12 Feb 2016, 06:50 AM

For 1v1 you would never be able to get more than 1 Stuka because you need some decent armor to counter the SU-76/Sherman/Cromwell horde. ISG is pretty good for the whole game and it always guarantees to deal some dmg whereas miss with Stuka barrage will really hurt your game.
12 Feb 2016, 06:54 AM

For 1v1 you would never be able to get more than 1 Stuka because you need some decent armor to counter the SU-76/Sherman/Cromwell horde. ISG is pretty good for the whole game and it always guarantees to deal some dmg whereas miss with Stuka barrage will really hurt your game.

alright tnx. not more than 1 stuka,

soo do i make Stuka after 1 puma or after 2 puma?

or is it by looking on what situation i got into?..
12 Feb 2016, 06:57 AM

stuka depending on situation otherwise pumas first. ISGs will take care of mortar emplacements. spread them out and barrage the mortar pit and once he activates Brace ability find a way to rush in and attempt to kill it. A safe way ofcourse.
12 Feb 2016, 08:20 AM

Stuka's best against Soviet support weapon spam on urban maps imo. I'd never plan on buying one as it's a somewhat risky investment but they can definitely be a good purchase if the scenario calls for it. Two Stukas is dumb.

ISGs are the best way to fight emplacements imo and are also pretty good at fighting British infantry squads in cover. Also good is just not fighting the emplacements and going somewhere else instead, although that's obviously not always possible.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★