Login

russian armor

.abp files and changing unit models

2 Feb 2016, 07:34 AM

Heya. So in a mod I'm currently working on, I'm having problems with .abp files and units in-game showing up as the missing texture boxes.

What the deal is, is that I want to swap ALL Ostheer unit models with those of the OKW. However in trying to do this, I must also edit the .abp files so that the OKW models will be able to hold and use Ostheer weapons (if not, they can't use guns like MP40s or G43s, since Volksgrenadiers cannot normally obtain those.) If I make a single edit to any of the .abp files, it borks all models related to it in-game. So if I attempt to add MP40s and G43s to the weapon list for Volks, save, build, and go in-game, everyone's like "nope" and spawns in as giant missing texture boxes.

If anyone more experienced than me knows what's causing this problem, I would love for an answer or a recommended fix. I have also watched based eliw00d's video on editing .abp files, but it doesn't explain how to handle this sort of situation. I'm really just at a loss right now.

If needed, here's some screenshots showing my current (edited) .abp files.

(Obersoldaten, whose models I want to substitute in for Panzer Grenadiers and squad leaders in the Assault Grenadier squads)

https://i.gyazo.com/ca5bc4e93415c149bd8d0b16a72e71ce.png

(Volksgrenadiers, whose models I want to replace regular Grenadier teams, mortar teams, MG teams, AT gun crews, etc.)

https://i.gyazo.com/4965aa5086ca93e9f367bb98da5a25b4.png

(Also yes, I'm aware I'm missing the stielhandgranate for Volks models.)

I used to use the Ostheer mortar/AT gun crew model for the default Grenadier model (so they'd all have matching pine green uniforms), but I got tired as that model isn't as historically accurate as the Volks model. Also, it has the red flairs on the shoulder thingies, indicating that they're part of a field weapon crew, which doesn't make sense. I was able to make them hold Kar98ks and MP40s without a single problem, however.

TL;DR broken models, units spawn as boxes, pics related and please help.

Thanks.
2 Feb 2016, 08:00 AM

Pretty sure it's an issue with your paths.

For Volksgrenadiers for example, the line...

"..\\..\\weapons\\smg_mp40\\smg_mp40",

Should be:

"..\\..\\..\\german\\weapons\\smg_mp40\\smg_mp40",

Because the "volksgrenadier" model currently resides in the west_german directory. Going two directories up and accessing weapons, wouldn't be accessing the Wehrmacht's directory for weapons, but the OKW's directory-- of which the MP40 and G43 don't exist.
2 Feb 2016, 08:04 AM

Ahhh alright. That makes sense. Thanks!

I'll boot up the modding tools and fix my errors. Hopefully that should correct any issues.

**EDIT** - Everything's working perfectly. Thanks again! ^^
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS