Login

russian armor

2v2 (Various Problems)

15 Jan 2016, 07:26 AM

This week has been insanely bad for me. Up until Tuesday, I usually maintained a 5-7 winstreak, and was consistently in the top 200 (and at one point 150) for Ost. I don't know what's happened, but the meta has changed dramatically. And yes, this is for 2v2 random teams.

Problems

Brit Emplacements
I can't believe these made it back from CoH1, but regardless, these things ruin my game, and often show up early (5-6 min). Often, mortar pits are place directly behind buildings, stopping direct fire (AT). For example, on 'Trois-Ponts', I often face one placed either behind the bottom-left buildings (by the muni point). Ettlebruck station I often see one behind the right-most VP, near the neutral point. Even worse are the Bofors, which shred infantry. Their barrage makes using AT guns not the best choice, and they can counter mortars. The worst case I've seen is a bofors in the center of rails and metal, supported by a mortar and a rifle-spamming (5+ squads in a blob) USF player. How do I counter these? Regular mortars aren't good enough (brace, also squishy). Direct fire is out (can't use AT guns), and its far too early for tanks. Also, the only MHT doctrine I have is the (awful) 'Festung Support' doc.

Rifle Blobs
These things are insane, especially at Vet 3. They can run past MGs directly (tried as USF, its not hard). They're amazing at every range, and incredibly tanky. How do I deal with these? Grens w/ LMGs kind of work, but it's a 4v6, with cover often pushing it in favor of the rifles, especially with those US-LMGs.

PPSH + T70 rush
I've only seen this a few times, so it's not a huge issue, but I still have trouble countering it on the rare chance it happens. Early game (first few min) is fine, but once PPSH's come out, grens become harder to use, since you need to keep range. Pgrens work, but the cost just isn't effective (reinforce wise). Then, but around 7-8min a T70 (usually this is dual Sov) comes from each player. This then quickly escalates to 3-4 T70s total, roaming around and wrecking everything.

In general, these problems occur even when I'm winning, or at least on equal footing. My team will have 50%+ of the map, usually including one fuel (sometimes both), and we still end up getting destroyed by these types of things.

Also, I'll post some replays when I can.
15 Jan 2016, 08:14 AM

Hello.

Brit Emplacements
I can't believe these made it back from CoH1, but regardless, these things ruin my game, and often show up early (5-6 min). Often, mortar pits are place directly behind buildings, stopping direct fire (AT). For example, on 'Trois-Ponts', I often face one placed either behind the bottom-left buildings (by the muni point). Ettlebruck station I often see one behind the right-most VP, near the neutral point. Even worse are the Bofors, which shred infantry. Their barrage makes using AT guns not the best choice, and they can counter mortars. The worst case I've seen is a bofors in the center of rails and metal, supported by a mortar and a rifle-spamming (5+ squads in a blob) USF player. How do I counter these? Regular mortars aren't good enough (brace, also squishy). Direct fire is out (can't use AT guns), and its far too early for tanks. Also, the only MHT doctrine I have is the (awful) 'Festung Support' doc.

There is something like 515.494 thread that shows a thousand way to deal with UKF emplacements. I suggest you to watch 2-3 pages further of this forum. Having the right tool is not enough, you have to use them well, like an ATgun with a spotter. Of course he can outshoot you with an ability, just step back. Or simply go where emplacements are not.

Rifle Blobs
These things are insane, especially at Vet 3. They can run past MGs directly (tried as USF, its not hard). They're amazing at every range, and incredibly tanky. How do I deal with these? Grens w/ LMGs kind of work, but it's a 4v6, with cover often pushing it in favor of the rifles, especially with those US-LMGs.

Yes they are frightening, they are VET3 after all, they deserved to be strong. Still they are less frightening than spaced out riflemens. If they blob there are many more ways to deal with them : grenades, aoe, explosions in general, snipers. I hope that by the time they get vet3 rifles you can field at least one tank, P4 or ostwind. Dont let them get close to not eat the AT grenade.

PPSH + T70 rush
I've only seen this a few times, so it's not a huge issue, but I still have trouble countering it on the rare chance it happens. Early game (first few min) is fine, but once PPSH's come out, grens become harder to use, since you need to keep range. Pgrens work, but the cost just isn't effective (reinforce wise). Then, but around 7-8min a T70 (usually this is dual Sov) comes from each player. This then quickly escalates to 3-4 T70s total, roaming around and wrecking everything.

The most important is to deal with them on by one. It is often important to save your early munition as an OST player in order to launch several Faust at the first T70 that comes too close.

Your 222 has a gun solid enough to help against t70. If it eated a faust it is even more easy but be careful as the t70 is well equiped to cut your 222 in pieces.
PPSHs seems frightening but the main goal is to stay frosty and shoot them at range without moving an inch. The ennemy has to get close to you and you are likely to have at least one or two LMG. The conscripts has to be in the open in order to reach an effective range and if you focuse them one by one you are likely to kill them. They are cons after all.

Kozo.
15 Jan 2016, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the reply.

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2016, 08:14 AMKozokus
Hello.

There is something like 515.494 thread that shows a thousand way to deal with UKF emplacements. I suggest you to watch 2-3 pages further of this forum. Having the right tool is not enough, you have to use them well, like an ATgun with a spotter. Of course he can outshoot you with an ability, just step back. Or simply go where emplacements are not.

Yes, I've read many of them. The problem is, they assume a perfect situation, or just don't work. Many say "get an MHT", but this locks me into the "festung support" doc, which is not very good (only one I have with an MHT). An AT gun and spotter works on some maps, but the maps where I actually have problems on (no problem on open maps) are the ones where the mortar pit is built behind a shot-blocker of some sort. As a result, I'm basically limited to either the normal mortar, or late-game tech.

Also, "go where emplacements are not" doesn't really work on maps like Khrakov, or even R&M (right-side house, when playing north).

Yes they are frightening, they are VET3 after all, they deserved to be strong. Still they are less frightening than spaced out riflemens. If they blob there are many more ways to deal with them : grenades, aoe, explosions in general, snipers. I hope that by the time they get vet3 rifles you can field at least one tank, P4 or ostwind. Dont let them get close to not eat the AT grenade.

Rifle nades are very, very easy to dodge, and Pgren nades are horribly ineffective - these aren't that great counters. Yes, I can get lucky with a rifle nade, but it's just not consistent enough. Snipers work, but that only really works vs. dual USF, since brits and sov both have snipers. As a result, I find myself either losing a sniper to counter-sniping, or just sitting around trying to get the counter-snipe.

As for tanks, yes, I often can field one by the time the rifles really become a problem. However, the Ostwind just isn't very good; especially when compared to something like the centaur, or even a Quad HT. I admit, though, I never thought of using a P4. I was unaware this was an effective counter

The most important is to deal with them on by one. It is often important to save your early munition as an OST player in order to launch several Faust at the first T70 that comes too close.

Your 222 has a gun solid enough to help against t70. If it eated a faust it is even more easy but be careful as the t70 is well equiped to cut your 222 in pieces.
PPSHs seems frightening but the main goal is to stay frosty and shoot them at range without moving an inch. The ennemy has to get close to you and you are likely to have at least one or two LMG. The conscripts has to be in the open in order to reach an effective range and if you focuse them one by one you are likely to kill them. They are cons after all.

Kozo.

This is the problem. I guess my muni balance wasn't great. I'll work on that.
15 Jan 2016, 10:22 AM

Many say "get an MHT", but this locks me into the "festung support" doc

Yeah :/ Spearhead is much better overall if you can grab it. The point with the MortarHT is that it solves the problem almost without effort.

There is few hardcounter that hardcounter that hard in this game.

I agree as sutiations described are often kinda "perfect" and some on the other hand require a more careful approach.
There is only particular answer to thoses situations and most of them require you to build a medium tank to be safe or use offmap strikes or abusive amount of mortars.

As for tanks, yes, I often can field one by the time the rifles really become a problem. However, the Ostwind just isn't very good; especially when compared to something like the centaur, or even a Quad HT. I admit, though, I never thought of using a P4. I was unaware this was an effective counter

Dont underestimate the humble ostwind :) The P4 is beefy enough to eat some AT shots and still pack some AI, enough to worry frontline infantery. It is less destructive than an ostwind but doesn't leave you open on a stuart.

Kozo.
15 Jan 2016, 22:21 PM

So i've been logging my games; essentially writing down why I win/lose. About 80% of my losses are due to brits building a bunch of emplacements. I've dropped from ~200 on the ladder to around 750 because of this.

Seriously:
17 games, 5 wins
8 of those games involved indestructible RE mortar pits and bofors, 1 crash, 2 teammates leaving. That leaves 2 cases of legitimately being outplayed.

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2016, 10:22 AMKozokus
Yeah :/ Spearhead is much better overall if you can grab it. The point with the MortarHT is that it solves the problem almost without effort.

There is few hardcounter that hardcounter that hard in this game.

Don't want to support P2W if a doctrine is literally required to counter a standard unit.

I agree as sutiations described are often kinda "perfect" and some on the other hand require a more careful approach.
There is only particular answer to thoses situations and most of them require you to build a medium tank to be safe or use offmap strikes or abusive amount of mortars.

Problem is, a campy brit is going to have AT before I have a medium tank, rendering it useless.

Dont underestimate the humble ostwind :) The P4 is beefy enough to eat some AT shots and still pack some AI, enough to worry frontline infantery. It is less destructive than an ostwind but doesn't leave you open on a stuart.

Kozo.

Wasn't aware of this, nice.

/edit
And now I'm around ~970 rank, getting horrible teammates. Switching to 1v1. Still would appreciate tips on how to beat this stuff. Mostly just the Brit emplacements.
2 Feb 2016, 06:13 AM

Hmm, a little old thread here, shame i haven't noticed this earlier :(

But getting rid of ukf emplacements is sometimes very tough, you need your ally to help you with them if you're not in the lead at the point the UKF player makes a emplacement, but if you're not in the lead and a bofors pops up on the fuel point, this pretty much means that you either has to ignore the area or just ask your mate to help you out with IFGs or mortars, this should bring enough firepower to bring down the emplacements in no time

It's just a matter of teamwork and how you choose to deal with them
15 Mar 2016, 23:05 PM

Me and my Teammate have been having problems with just trying ot survive vs Vetted blobs. Grens and Pgrens just feel horribly inefficient at only 4 men compared to 5 men Rfiles and Tommies. I really feel like everything Wher has is just slightly outclassed and their combined arms require more micro than anything else in the game right now(even late game I feel like I need to micro more than USF players, who have historically had to micro their tanks the hardest).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★