Login

russian armor

UKF vs OKW

10 Jan 2016, 17:12 PM

Given that the game is designed such that different factions are strong at different stages of the game ( I seem to remember seeing a relic graphic about this) when as Brits do you have your chance to push an OKW player?

I've asked a few top players on their twitch streams etc but the answer always seems to be that the Brits are only strong when defending.

How then do you take territory against the OKW faction and in what part of the game? Logically if your defence just becomes stronger then you need to have taken the territory or VPs early, though Brits are meant to be strong in the late game..

10 Jan 2016, 20:55 PM

I think if you can hold out in a really good defensive position with your mortars and whatever else, you can hope to wear down the OKW so their late game isnt so strong (because, although brits are supposedly "late game", they pale in comparison to okw).

Sometimes a nice cromwell flank or maneuver to take out an enemy tank can be just what you need to delay the OKW late game edge even further. Also, Comets are real nice if you get multiple, or just have some other tanks supporting.

All in all, I say you just have to strike when the opportunity presents itself, and until it does, just survive.
10 Jan 2016, 21:07 PM

UKF is ok vs OKW. Vs ostheer however with Ostruppen + snipers they can have a super tough early game. Because OKW do not have a counter sniper you can just get double sniper vs OKW and bleed them to death. Gotta watch out for the luchs rush tho!
10 Jan 2016, 21:15 PM

I'm not the most experienced player so I could be wrong about everything I'm about to say. But the British are my primary faction, so I'll give my perspective.

I would definitely agree that the British are not the strongest in the early game. I think Axis is generally stronger in the early game. But the Brits, IMO, have the best early game counter on the Allied side. I start by building a UC first (upgrading flamethrower with first available MU), then IS, then HMG. This allows you to counter the Kubel rush, and then torch their HMGs. Be careful to keep the UC at range away from A/T grenades. Infantry section are good, but you have to micro effectively to preserve them. You may have to make more than one tactical retreat early on if the German is good. But with good micro, you can control the early game.

I would also agree that the Brits are strongest in defense, but you can use this to counter-push. Anyway, as for the question of when is the BEST time to push, my opinion is late game. You will need Comets, and preferably a Crocodile, or FF's in order to control late game. You will also need a healthy blob of at least five IS/RE squads, stacked with PIATS, preferably with lots of veterancy. If a German player or team gets lots of armor and rockets on the field, late game is obviously very difficult.

I used to lean on emplacements a lot more as Brits, but you must be very careful when and where you build them. Everything is pretty expensive, so unit preservation is paramount. I will also say that it's possible to push at any stage of the game if you capitalize on your advantages fully. I've had games that swing 180 degrees as soon as I build a mortar emplacement at the beginning of mid-game. If you manage to inflict some significant damage early on, it is possible to suffocate them for the entire match.

10 Jan 2016, 21:18 PM

Chipwreckt mentioned that snipers are a big problem with ostheer, and I would definitely second that. The best way I've found to counter them is using the UC.
10 Jan 2016, 22:31 PM

Given that the game is designed such that different factions are strong at different stages of the game ( I seem to remember seeing a relic graphic about this) when as Brits do you have your chance to push an OKW player?

I've asked a few top players on their twitch streams etc but the answer always seems to be that the Brits are only strong when defending.

How then do you take territory against the OKW faction and in what part of the game? Logically if your defence just becomes stronger then you need to have taken the territory or VPs early, though Brits are meant to be strong in the late game..

You cant. We are "strong" in defence but since axis tanks are made of adamantium you just have to take the enemys fuelpoints so they cant get said tanks on the field or pray that your enemy is a retard.
11 Jan 2016, 01:09 AM

Hmmm... All of the units mentioned are ones that I don't use!!

I try to keep my forces mobile though after many many failed experiments with AECS, UCs and snipers I've reverted to using the Bofors and almost always have to pick Anvil.

I've built hundreds of UCs and lots of AECs, tried everything with them but I just suck. Found some interesting uses for them, for instance a sacrifice on both flanks with coordinated artillery when I push the centre. The idea being anything they discover is going to get some well earned 25pdrs to help them out. Oddly they seem to stand up to the later Kraut tanks close in purely because they can avoid the slow turret traverse. Early game though even Volks seem to kill them without Shrecks.

I tend to use Tactical Support Regiment, so no Crocs for me. No idea how to use snipers, they always get rushed and killed. I even put a thread on here asking for replays from someone who knows how to use them. :)

I find that I never actually push, rather than capping weakly or non defended areas, until I have three tanks. Bitter experience suggests that two simply isn't enough.

Even when I decap and harass OKW's fuel he still seems to out tank me both in numbers and in timing. Haven't had any luck with Piats, if the opposition doesn't leave their tanks stationary then they just seem to miss constantly. Did see a thread from Mr.Smith suggesting some interesting uses for them which I will try but when I come to push I'll usually spend all my munitions on Brens to keep those naughty Shrecks at bay. Especially on the engineering squads.

I'm trying to get a Churchill as my first tank now as it is vital for the first one to survive ( an extra 75 fuel is a looooooong wait though). So many outnumbered Cromwells have gone down.. Don't think I'm overly aggressive with my first one, quite the opposite. One chap did tell me a Centaur can solo a PIV so might try that too. I hate those things, don't fare badly when they go for supertanks but several PIVs is a problem.

I'll usually try to crater one of the VPs I don't own earlyish with my base arty to give my infantry a foothold in the later game ( the dictionary definition of optimism!).

But yeah, I'm rubbish so unit preservation is an issue. I just find that even late game and at popcap when I push, OKW seems stronger. Early game is whack a mole and midgame a struggle against early armour.
14 Jan 2016, 03:43 AM

OKW is just a bad match up for UKF. UC is too expensive and delays your teching and AEC you need to commit to due to the fact that you need to research the pre-requisite.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★