Login

russian armor

General tactics against blobbers players

8 Jan 2016, 19:21 PM

I always thought that only US and Sov factions players using blobbing tactics since i was only Ost player. But then i started to play Brits and realized that Ost and Okw players using same tactics.

Give me please some general tips how to counter blobbers? In my opinion worst blobbers army is US, they just unbearable, then Soviets conscripts with ppshs or guards with ptrs is pretty hard to counter. and then Ost cause i'm not playing much as allied armies. Any help appreciated.
8 Jan 2016, 20:12 PM
Patrion 14

I always thought that only US and Sov factions players using blobbing tactics since i was only Ost player. But then i started to play Brits and realized that Ost and Okw players using same tactics.

Give me please some general tips how to counter blobbers? In my opinion worst blobbers army is US, they just unbearable, then Soviets conscripts with ppshs or guards with ptrs is pretty hard to counter. and then Ost cause i'm not playing much as allied armies. Any help appreciated.

Curious question - When you refer to "Blobbing", are you referring to a bunch of units in one spot? Or just a infantry heavy build pushing you from multiple angles etc?

Second question - is there a specific faction you want advice for?

In general, you should be using combined arms or what I like to term "blob control tactics". This means, including some sort of backline suppression platform in support of your mainline infantry or artillery units to help bleed large infantry formations by turning fights in your favor. Also, you shoudl note that suppresion is incrementally cumlative - that means if you have 4 units to near each other.. they will take increased suppression then if it were by themselves. This is why you see fringe units in a blob become suppressed even though they aren`t near the original MG volley. Below is a summary of suppression stuff and video showing effective use of suppresion to turn a game around.

Example Counter Blob Play: http://www.twitch.tv/troyd_destin/v/33606216

Video Notes

- notice we`re being `out blobbed` without any support units.
- once we bring out one or two suppression platforms, OKWs infantry heavy tactics fall apart.

Note: Allies have the earliest access and most abundant suppresion weapons - use them! Axis have limited or late options.

USF

- Flaktruck or quad
- 50cal machine gun
- Volley fire Echelons ( typically bar or LMG equipped)

USF has access to suppression with the LT unlock (50cal), I highly recommend it when playing against OKW its better to just get more rifles agianst Ostheer. Like always, keep it in the back and sighted using yoru rifles. LAte game you can use a sherman with High explosive rounds, or a calliope to put on the bleed.

Soviet

- Maxim
- Quad

Maxims can be your second unit, and spammed. Suppression everywhere, all the time. I typically go two maxims and two conscripts. Let the maxims suppress with a volley while behind your infantry in cover, then move the conscripts out of cover to engage the axis units at close range while they are suppressed. Youcan also build a mortar to help clear out opposing MGs and kill suppressed units.

British

- Vickers
- Bofors

As brits, my blob control come sin the form of a vickers MG. Yes, I know the vickers takes *two* volleys to suppress a unit - but that time interval is very short and the MG should always be behind your infantry or have something spotting for it. Basically, engage the blob with your infantry and let your MG suppress things from a distance. You`ll win the fight unless you let yourself get grenaded or hit with a werfer.

Whermacht

- MG42
- MG bunkers
- Panzerwerfer
- Ostwind (with bulletins)

Same idea theme as svoeits. Use sighted Mgs to supress things - in this case your pioneers - then close rnage on suppressed units with your pios/grenadiers. You can build a mortar to compliment your combined arms approach and a werfer late game to kill squads at range.

Okw

- Doctrinal MGs (meh)

I personally believe OKW doesn`t need suppression. find the M34 doctrines ~meh~ when comapred to the push power of spec ops, scavenge etc. OKW is inherantly an infantry heavy faction to begin with, so key is not clutter your units all in one spot and instead spread them out and push the entire line or multiple angles in coordinated assaults. You control blobs as OKW by pushing your early game enough to bleed your opponents manpower - limiting his ability to reach a critical mass blob.

If you really need suppression you`re likely in a team game environment where you can get your wehrmacht buddy to control the field with some suppresion while you push suppressed units with your volks/sturms.

IMO Someone who blobs, is basically throwing the game by becoming predictable and you can use tactics accordingly. You can suppress the blob thus eliminating its effectiveness, put mines/demos down on common routes, funnel its movement with bait, crush it with a medium tank, wipe it all with a artillrey shell the list goes on.

Feel free to ask questions.
9 Jan 2016, 06:35 AM

Troyd
Thanks a lot! Yes i was talking about many many units in one spot. I will try to use your suggestions next time when im going to play and let ya know if it helped me.
9 Jan 2016, 07:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jan 2016, 20:12 PMTroyd

Soviet
- Maxim
- Quad

Also mines, demo, katy and ZiS&SU-76 вarrage. Mortars are a nuisance for infantry mass too.
9 Jan 2016, 08:28 AM

I'm also looking for some Ost vs US\Sov replays or vods, but it's hard to find them.
10 Jan 2016, 04:01 AM
Patrion 14

Also mines, demo, katy and ZiS&SU-76 вarrage. Mortars are a nuisance for infantry mass too.

Yes, but aren't suppression units thus not in the list. I would classify those as bleed options :)

I'm also looking for some Ost vs US\Sov replays or vods, but it's hard to find them.

Here's some 2v2 - OST (point of view) + OKW vs Double USF.

http://www.twitch.tv/troyd_destin/v/34527129

Notes
- notice how I use units to spot for the MG42
- notice how I immedialty move the MG42 when it gets smoked
- notice the usage of bunker MGS

Though I think you're looking for 1v1, so I would advise you hit up some of the streams during the day or check out the replay library for the ESL tournament matches.
15 Jan 2016, 22:43 PM

Mines in high traffic zones, and be sure to build at least 2 HMG's.

Infantry blobbers tend to be rather tunnel visioned type of people. So in a way their patterns start becoming predictable after a while, try to think ahead of him and set up traps with your HMGs to pin them while the rest of your army chips away at them.

USF blobs harder because of the way the faction is designed and unfortunately this issues can't be readily fixed without some redesigning of teching and unit options.

IF you see that he is goign really infantry blob heavy, plan your game to tech quickly to some form of Rocket arty. There are also plenty of commander specific abilities that can help you, like Fragmentation bombs, Incendiary strikes, stuka strafing runs...etc

Also once you are done routing a blob,don't stay static and waiting for the next blob push, go capture territory and progressively push them back.
16 Jan 2016, 18:56 PM

Troyd
Virtual Boar

Thanks!
18 Jan 2016, 10:28 AM

One other thing to utilise is the primary-ing of units. Troyd taught me this.

If you have four rifle squads charging towards your three Grenadier squads, select all your squads and tell them to fire at one of the advancing riflemen. He will probably pull squads at 2 men, so by the time you've driven off one squad, if he isn't primary-ing your units in turn, odds are you probably have lost no more than one model per unit yourself, if that. In this way, you can drive off a number of his units, or even win the engagement against superior numbers, just by concentrating fire on one target at a time.

Also, if your opponent is blobbing, he can't be everywhere at once. Slow his blob down with one unit (retreating before suffering losses), and use your other units to cap the rest of the field.

I know this all works, because I am a bad player and blob, and Troyd destroys me with these tactics :p
18 Jan 2016, 10:32 AM

One other thing to utilise is the primary-ing of units. Troyd taught me this.

If you have four rifle squads charging towards your three Grenadier squads, select all your squads and tell them to fire at one of the advancing riflemen. He will probably pull squads at 2 men, so by the time you've driven off one squad, if he isn't primary-ing your units in turn, odds are you probably have lost no more than one model per unit yourself, if that. In this way, you can drive off a number of his units, or even win the engagement against superior numbers, just by concentrating fire on one target at a time.

Also, if your opponent is blobbing, he can't be everywhere at once. Slow his blob down with one unit (retreating before suffering losses), and use your other units to cap the rest of the field.

I know this all works, because I am a bad player and blob, and Troyd destroys me with these tactics :p

Also, counter with the opposite type of troop type. Facing heavy long range-infantry like Volksgrenadiers? Why not use Commandos, Ranger, Paras or Shock Troops to get up close and personal. Facing Massed Sturmpioneers? Stick LMGs on your riflemen or Infantry Sections, Get Guards or Penals, and utilise Pathfinders, all at long range. When fighting at long range in particular, split your own troops up with layers of covering fire, so the blob can only charge one unit at a time...retreat that unit as the blob closes, rinse and repeat.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★