Login

russian armor

Sales numbers CoH2?

1 Jul 2013, 05:39 AM
Donator 22

Has anybody heard something about how sales numbers for CoH2 are developing?
  • Is it going great?
  • Is it pfff, ok?
  • Does it suck?

Or are there any other indicators apart from current actual numbers?
1 Jul 2013, 05:49 AM

Like 15~ people searching 1v1 late sat night PST and about 30ish searching team games.

The game definitely needs more of a playerbase. With the nickle and dime DLC system charging 60 dollars for a free to play quality game is a pretty bad business decision. Hopefully Steam sales pop up soon.
1 Jul 2013, 06:32 AM

It was on top of steam top sellers for a while. I don't really know, but the impression I get is pretty good but not great.
1 Jul 2013, 09:24 AM

Peak playerbase today was about 21000 people which includes singleplayer and compstomp.
1 Jul 2013, 09:39 AM

Yes player base was 21000, which is good, especially for an RTS but the question is will it maintain it? Given the easy digital distribution method of Steam it is convenient for people to pick up COH2, even those who have not played it b4 but will they stay? I am going to say NO, well not likely. Without a ladder or custom game lobby and easy to find annihilate games (not that I played many of these)the player base will drop off rapidly as there were a lot of these players in COH1. The loss of the feeling of achievement or of completion/getting better without the win/loss stats, ranks and ladder will mean even the competitive base of players will leave quickly and I am guessing the numbers will be around 5000 when it settles by the end of July. I hope this doesnt happen but I have my doubts.
1 Jul 2013, 09:39 AM

Only few people play automatch.
I can understand that many people don't like automatch because it requires some effort. If someone hasn't played CoH1 a lot he has to do a lot of reading and video watching to really get into it and then will still get many thrashings before improving. This doesn't really attract a huge player base.

Campaign and compstomp are more popular though.
1 Jul 2013, 18:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jul 2013, 09:39 AMGrund
Yes player base was 21000, which is good, especially for an RTS but the question is will it maintain it? Given the easy digital distribution method of Steam it is convenient for people to pick up COH2, even those who have not played it b4 but will they stay? I am going to say NO, well not likely. Without a ladder or custom game lobby and easy to find annihilate games (not that I played many of these)the player base will drop off rapidly as there were a lot of these players in COH1. The loss of the feeling of achievement or of completion/getting better without the win/loss stats, ranks and ladder will mean even the competitive base of players will leave quickly and I am guessing the numbers will be around 5000 when it settles by the end of July. I hope this doesnt happen but I have my doubts.

i don't think leaderboards will make much of a difference to people who just wants to enjoy the game, it doesn't really bring much to the game except more competition, but it will come eventually. i think the reason why we don't see it now is because it's buggy like vcoh's leaderboards. since the server switch there were a lot of bugs that came up.
1 Jul 2013, 18:29 PM

I want to buy it, like really, really want to. COH is the only game I play and I was really looking forward to COH2. But few reasons preventing me.

If COH2 uses same match making system as COH, then no way. It sounds like I'll have an easier time getting a game with COH because at least there's more than 15 people 1v1 automatch. I'm not spending money until they address the drop hack situation anyway.

COH2 is broken. I know a lot of people have vested interested in saying it's fine and good enough, etc. I watched the TFN tournament yesterday. Hats off to you guys. It was a great show, well produced, real quality. But games sucked. When the balance dev from Relic says that the entire German strategy against Russia comes down to a perfectly timed faust, then what sort of balance are we looking at????

The maps are too big for 1v1, the game play is a rush to vehicles with very little inf vs. inf play, there's flames every where way too early causing way too much damage, I can't figure out the mini map or tac map so I don't understand where the key points are, etc. etc. etc.
1 Jul 2013, 19:12 PM
Donator 22

Peak playerbase today was about 21000 people which includes singleplayer and compstomp.

Ok, thanks, that is nice for a start. Probably not awesome, but it could be worse. Thank you for that number.
All the best to Sega and Relic.
raw
1 Jul 2013, 22:27 PM

RTS player numbers are down everywhere, the makers of SoaSE already proclaimed that RTS are dying and we should all be switching to mobile devices where we can touch our units.

Edit: You can see the CoH2 player numbers for yourself btw, on the steam stats page.
2 Jul 2013, 08:30 AM

I know at least 4 people who were all CoH1 buyers and will not buy the successor right now. The reasons are all the same:

- it's pretty expensive
- most people don't like DLC and are afraid that the game is turning into pay2win
- and most important: there are plenty of really bad user reviews out there on Amazon, Steam etc who yell at you not to buy this game because it's unfinished, unbalanced and full of bugs

I really like the game, although I agree it's simply not finished at all (Leaderboards, Lobby, Chat, Matchmaking, Leveling System and the resulting balance issues, lag games due to bad netcode etc). But I hope it will be a success, yesterday I waited 10 minutes for a 3v3 random, I already took the Russians (15% searching at that time) but there were only 15 people available at all.
2 Jul 2013, 10:18 AM

Doesn't seem many people are playing automatch, but i still think its a great game would agree fully that its completely unbalanced and a bit bs at the moment. I'm not a coh1 online player but did the odd comp stop every now and then with mates, started off playing soviet only and lost pretty much every game, tried the germans and haven't lost a game yet ( and my skill level is pretty bad lol ). Things do need to be addressed if the game is gonna survive and i really hope it does would be a shame to see such a good franchise go down.

2 Jul 2013, 12:38 PM

You forget that there's already a lot of people in game. 1v1 will have the least players searching because it's the easiest to get a game going. Thus the constantly low numbers, even though there could be a lot of 1v1s being played at that time.

I recall hearing that they hit their target sales, so I bet it's going pretty good.
2 Jul 2013, 15:23 PM

Hearing that they hit their target sales is great because in the last 2 years or so many other publishers started setting far too high marks, pumped up budgets to unreasonable heights and then complained that they didn't hit their 5 million sales mark. See Tomb Raider and a few other games for that... many gaming news sites covered that.
2 Jul 2013, 15:43 PM

+1 on the thing that coh2 needs lobby and game rooms. There always was a lot of guys who didnt want to automatch and just spam some arty and so on, as automatch requires skill and effort. In COH and that was really big part of players, why do you need to lose this audience in this game? lobby, ladder is needed. Chat would be awesome for nicer community too. I also don't understand why they changed the level system, the old one was so good.
2 Jul 2013, 15:56 PM
Patrion 14

^ This. The lack of a *lobby* system with options like setting high resources and non-VP wins so you can browse games is hampering the game. The use of in-game Steam friends only is clunky and doesn't really help you meet new players like you could in vCoH.
2 Jul 2013, 17:38 PM

I think it'd be REALLY interesting to know the amount of DLC sales that they've racked up and then ask the question if it was worth implementing DLC at the expense of the damage they caused to their gaming community and also the negative word of mouth reviews on multiple sites like Amazon and Steam?

If they made say 100k in DLC sales but lost 5 mil in actual sales....boy I'd laugh.
2 Jul 2013, 20:34 PM

I agree that the lack of a lobby will hurt this game - I really hope it comes sooner rather than later. I think all the other nonsense that people are going on about doesn't matter - DLC, ladders/competitive scene etc has little to do with whether people will buy/play this game in the short to medium term.
2 Jul 2013, 20:51 PM

CoH2 is a good rts, but unfortunately i must admit i expected better....no free lobbies, commanders are boring without a great influence in the gameplay as coh1 doctrines, bullettins are unnecessary because they reward the experience, and actual matchmaking system is not the best. However i pretty like coh2 but should be less dull.
2 Jul 2013, 21:13 PM

Lack of lobbies prevent people from playing multiplayer compstomps BIG TIME.

But we are talking about sales here, not product quality or active players. You could have 3 active players, and have sold 10 million units.

Also, just because the peak activity was 21000, doesn't mean there's ONLY 21,000 people. You could add another 50% of that based on timezones, at least.

If the game sold "well", then that could warrant enough of a reaosn to make an expansion pack, regardless if the game makes Twitch frontpage or competes with SC2 and LoL.

Single player and Compstomps are what saves this game, moneywise, not us. What we give to the game is long term playability. In fact, a lot of hardcore players are the ones complaining about the product and NOT buying it. The casual dude scrolling through Steam Store never having played vCoH? Thats a target, too.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 44
Germany 30
Germany 262

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak