Login

russian armor

Goliath's use?

2 Jan 2016, 16:20 PM

Hi !

Has anyone found a use for the Goliath? I just dropped the commander who can build them. But I don’t find an interesting use for the Goliaths it brings.

I tried to use it a few times and it almost never works. And I not the kind of guy who is going to rush with it towards the enemy. It is quite expansive, can be very easily destroyed and are slow (even more than on COH) : its speed is far too low to not be instantly destroyed so, except to flank and kill a support weapon which is not covered by other units, it can only be used as a big mine in useless places.
It can hide only under trees and dense vegetation, where enemy units are, most of the time, unlikely to go. However I tried to bait the enemy by hiding it behind a house, or some objects that block enemy’s sight while my other units are a distracting him, but it is really hard and cost a lot of micro to do something : most of the time, except if the enemy is hard blobbing, it won’t even kill a squad.

This unit seems to have be placed only for trolling purposes … Am I doing wrong or is there something interesting to do with it?
2 Jan 2016, 16:43 PM

Permanently Banned
Hi !

Has anyone found a use for the Goliath? I just dropped the commander who can build them. But I don’t find an interesting use for the Goliaths it brings.

I tried to use it a few times and it almost never works. And I not the kind of guy who is going to rush with it towards the enemy. It is quite expansive, can be very easily destroyed and are slow (even more than on COH) : its speed is far too low to not be instantly destroyed so, except to flank and kill a support weapon which is not covered by other units, it can only be used as a big mine in useless places.
It can hide only under trees and dense vegetation, where enemy units are, most of the time, unlikely to go. However I tried to bait the enemy by hiding it behind a house, or some objects that block enemy’s sight while my other units are a distracting him, but it is really hard and cost a lot of micro to do something : most of the time, except if the enemy is hard blobbing, it won’t even kill a squad.

This unit seems to have be placed only for trolling purposes … Am I doing wrong or is there something interesting to do with it?

I like to put it behind a building that is important, just in case the enemy takes it. I also like to put it near shot blockers or line of sight blockers near major roads, so it is easy to jump upon unsuspecting squads.
5 Jan 2016, 07:48 AM

Hello.

I like to put them hidden, a little bit on the side of a big avenue and flank incoming squads. The goliath is one of the things in the game that seems unfair when it works.
"Oh my! did he just loose 2 squads?" ... "i think i'll build another one"
There are very few things that makes me more nervous in this game than when i pop a flare while decapping an ennemy point. "no...Goliaths are coming!"

Kozo.
5 Jan 2016, 18:13 PM

Maybe I don't have enough micro to use them well. However I definetly find that 100 ammo is too much for a unit that can only be used to set up tricky traps.
6 Jan 2016, 14:35 PM

Maybe I don't have enough micro to use them well. However I definetly find that 100 ammo is too much for a unit that can only be used to set up tricky traps.

Keep in mind that demo charges cost 90, require an engineer to plant, and do not self spot.

A Goliath, for just 10 munitions more, does not require an engineer, can self spot, and is mobile. Use it as the terrain becomes covered in shell craters so it can cloak on the move. Or leave it near some important point and trigger it. Trading 100 munitions to wipe a squad is almost always worth it.
6 Jan 2016, 14:40 PM

Retreat paths choke points, killing hmgs in garrisons (need another squad to draw fire), around a corner of vision blockers.
7 Jan 2016, 07:50 AM

Did you mention it also Oneshot a ZIS and destroy the abandonned gun in the process?
What a wonderful little thing <444>3.

Kozo.
16 Feb 2016, 03:45 AM

16 Feb 2016, 05:51 AM

Allahu Akbar
16 Feb 2016, 20:04 PM

Sometimes I use it to blow up bridges. Havenät found a more efficient way.
16 Feb 2016, 21:30 PM

I find it's best used against single infantry squads, if you appear close enough, they are forced to choose - retreat, or be blown to pieces. One lone squad lacks firepower to blow a Goliath fast enough, and if they try to kite, they can't shoot. This tactic works especially well when assisted by your own infantry squad.

People try to use them on the frontline, against big blobs too often, it's better when used in a sneaky way, kinda like demo charge, hide it on some distant capping point and wait untill enemy attempts to steal it without paying attention.
100 ammo for a squad wipe is well worth it.
20 Feb 2016, 17:08 PM

It is so fun to use goliath. Specially in urban maps against blobs.

I'll echo the already stated. Park them behind line of sight blockers and around corners, wait for the enemy to approach, ideally come at them from behind so that if he panic retreats his squad, it will come under the Goliath's path.

Also great against entrenched HMG in buildings, divert HMG's attention with a faint trust and then send in Goliath for the kill.
22 Feb 2016, 11:16 AM

Oh they get camo, I like to sit one in cover near a point and wait.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★