Login

russian armor

Recreating the old SWS System (OKW)

Dar
1 Jan 2016, 00:38 AM

Hey folks, first off happy new year.

Now that fireworks are over I decided to spend some more time working with the mod tools on a custom OKW redo. Unfortunatly I am having seemingly unsolvable issues with the AI not spawning the sWS trucks to build the base structures, and after a significant amount of time wasted on trial and erroer, I don't think anyone could even figure out why since there is not even one AI tweaking expert in the community I know off, and there still is no documentation at all regarding anything involving the AI.

So I thought why not try a different approach and let the game do that part for me, as it used to before the OKW was overhauled in the recent patch.

Now while I have found the spawning ability and upgrades, I still don't know how to put the pieces together to get the old interval-spawning of the SWS trucks back and running.

Is there anyone with knowledge regarding this? How was it set up?
By a delayed action for the HQ building maybe?
How would it be retriggered?

Any hints are welcome.
1 Jan 2016, 02:35 AM

If you want to do it with a script, I have some code that approximates the original behavior in my Sector Defense maps. I haven't felt like trying to make it work via the mod builder.

You can check out (1p) Sector Defense #2, and extract it to get the code. The relevant part is after the comment -- bring in the SWS halftracks:

It uses some variables defined elsewhere, but mostly they are only relevant to what's going on in the map, so just throw out the condition based on usingMetafaction, and use your own code to find germanPlayer and set the timer parameters.

If you write scar code it shouldn't be hard to fix up. If you have questions, I haven't been coming here very often lately, so post the questions under the map's comments and Steam will notify me to read it.
Dar
1 Jan 2016, 03:02 AM

Truth to be told, I don't think Relic actually discarded and deleted the whole old system, after all the parts are still there, so I was hoping to find the "switch" to revert the changes they made (I would prefer having the UI timer for when the next SWS is spawning etc). But alternative methods are of course always welcome!

So, thanks a lot for the offer, that sounds promising. SCAR isn't my preferred way of dealing with things in tuning packs and I usually try to stay away from the topic at all (used it on custom gamemodes but thats about it), but I'll definitly check out the script and see wether I can use it.

EDIT: Never mind. Even with the SWS Trucks present, the problem is that the AI doesn't want to construct the base buildings, or rather, it only constructs the mechanized HQ and then nothing else. Back to trial and error then.
2 Jan 2016, 20:15 PM
Donator 11

I've restored the sWS halftrack spawning in my mod. Thanks to my daily system backup I have access to old versions of attribute files after a patch, so I just used those to get things back up and running. Anyway, I can help walk you through it if that would still be helpful.

Edit: It's possible you just need to update some values in the production_buildings section of the west_german army file. That seems to be what tells the AI how to build its base.
Dar
4 Jan 2016, 00:42 AM

Yes, I know the production_buildings section. Unfortunatly the OKW AI seems to be a little more complex, it is definitly controlled by additional variables. I managed to "fix" my issue anyway, by tweaking the ai_economy, reducing the complexity of my OKW-conversion (I created upgrade-"trees" that defined requirements for many squads) and forcing a slight linearity in construction order, something that fortunatly fits the mod in its currents state quite nicely.

Thanks for the offer, but as said, I have the system running on the current build now, and as stated above, I found that the actual spawning of trucks wasn't the problem, as I first thought it would be.

In any event, the documentation on nearly everything involving AI is simply non-existent. I wish one could actually talk to a Dev about that. The sheer amount of testing-hours I could have saved by a few lines of explanation for the "utility" and "per_unit" system...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★