Login

russian armor

Should I use the Pak 43?

21 Dec 2015, 23:35 PM

In the defencive doctrine, & joint operations doctrine there's an 8 cp ability to build a pak 43 At Gun. I've used it a few times, but every time it keeps on getting artied to death, and (or) decrewed. Is there a way to effectively use this, or am I just using it incorrectly?

~Karbinder
22 Dec 2015, 00:23 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Where are you building it?
Unfortunately, artillery does hard-counter this unit.
22 Dec 2015, 00:47 AM

Where are you building it?
Unfortunately, artillery does hard-counter this unit.

Usually at the end of a long choke-point. I'm not that person that puts in in the middle of everything.
22 Dec 2015, 02:12 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Edit: how are your defenses set up?
22 Dec 2015, 03:32 AM

Edit: how are your defenses set up?

If I do go with the defense doctrine, I usually have a command bunker, mg's, pak 40's, a hulled down ostwind, 2+ hulled down stugs, and if I have enough population a pak 43 in the back. Note: I never put the 43 on the front lines (It's suicidal.)
22 Dec 2015, 04:25 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I suggest counter-battery artillery then. Mortars to counter mortars (are also great verses suppressed infantry) and later trade up for a Panzerwerfer.
Do you have a screenshot?
22 Dec 2015, 04:34 AM

if you've already got two hulled down stugs, why bother getting more dedicated static anti tank emplacements? If you insist on going this strategy, you can try keeping your stugs mobile to push back flanking enemy tanks, while the main pak 43 gets rid of anything in the middle. I highly suggest getting ostwinds/panzer 4s for anti infantry presence and even tech up to panzerwerfers to counter barrage any artillery trying to get rid of your pak43.

P.S. get a halftrack or command bunker next to your pak43 to keep it crewed.

P.P.S. Pak43s can shoot through all obstacles, so putting it behind a large building/shotblocker can do wonders in helping it survive.
22 Dec 2015, 05:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Dec 2015, 04:34 AMbert69
if you've already got two hulled down stugs, why bother getting more dedicated static anti tank emplacements? If you insist on going this strategy, you can try keeping your stugs mobile to push back flanking enemy tanks, while the main pak 43 gets rid of anything in the middle. I highly suggest getting ostwinds/panzer 4s for anti infantry presence and even tech up to panzerwerfers to counter barrage any artillery trying to get rid of your pak43.

P.S. get a halftrack or command bunker next to your pak43 to keep it crewed.

P.P.S. Pak43s can shoot through all obstacles, so putting it behind a large building/shotblocker can do wonders in helping it survive.

I already use ostwinds for AA and AI. Panzerwerfers and mortors usually end up doing minimal damage due to the enemy instantly repairing their buildings. They always have tanks pushing up on me so if I try pushing up they'll get swarmed by offensive tanks.

Response to P.S.: I already said that I use command bunkers to attempt to keep my defenses alive, which are sadly destroyed during enemy barrages.

Response to P.P.S.: I do try that, but it usually isn't very effective.

I feel like everything that I try to do is instantly countered by the enemy(ies).

22 Dec 2015, 10:12 AM

Personally I prefer to use the Festing Armor doctrine for the pak43, Hull Downed Cmd Panzer next to the Pak43 gives a great defensive boost against artillery and keeps all the infantry away
22 Dec 2015, 12:53 PM
Honorary Member Badge

It's cheap and it pays for itself relatively quickly even if they do spot it and can take it out (which is not guaranteed)

I think it's better with OKW that tend to have more MP to spend, and it's certainly better with other AT in front of it and hidden. That way in a chaotic battle the enemy may not even notice that it is there for a while
22 Dec 2015, 21:46 PM

It's cheap and it pays for itself relatively quickly even if they do spot it and can take it out (which is not guaranteed)

I think it's better with OKW that tend to have more MP to spend, and it's certainly better with other AT in front of it and hidden. That way in a chaotic battle the enemy may not even notice that it is there for a while

You do make a very good point that it is very cheap for the strongest AT gun in the game.
22 Dec 2015, 21:53 PM

Also, does anyone else find it weird that the 12.8 cm pak 44 has less penetration than the 8.8 cm pak 43 in this game?
22 Dec 2015, 21:53 PM

Works better with OKW's disposable manpower and strong supplementary commander it comes in.
23 Dec 2015, 09:56 AM

Festung armor is reactive doctrine.

For example it allows you to hardcounter is2 shokc doctrine (is2 bye bye , p4 commad tank allow you to control blobs , incing arty cannot kill it , p4 with pak 43 and stugs or another panzers can kill is2)

also good against USA doctrines - pershing one - command tank control rifles , at gun hardcounters pershing , usa dont have arty so no chance of killing it.

and agains some other meta british doctrines - royal enginner - lack of arty , just keep in mind to place tellers so churchll cannot wipe it.

also it works fairly well against vanguard (no counter to pak 3 because planes cant target it well , croco cant kill it , command panzer can wipe squads)

and agains commado regiment because paying 325 munny for killing one pak is big price
23 Dec 2015, 11:13 AM

the pak43 can be really useful but only vs certain allied commanders, mostly the ones without arty or inciendary strikes. So consider using a pak 43 only when you are sure that the enemy doesnt have any arty. vs sovjets it is a bit tricky bcs they are the only allied faction with stock rocket arty but if you place it well behind shot blockers you should be fine. and having some good luck works also ;)
23 Dec 2015, 11:20 AM
Honorary Member Badge

You do make a very good point that it is very cheap for the strongest AT gun in the game.

And it will Vet fast because it is cheap, shooting at tanks and doing tons of damage, so even if it does get de-crewed it's not the end of the world.

And as Hector noted, whilst it can be hard-countered by munitions expenditure the enemy is spending a few hundred Munitions to counter a 500 hundred MP unit.
That is not necessarily a favourable exchange for them and if they are bombing that they are not bombing anything else.
23 Dec 2015, 17:04 PM

Are there a couple or more replays around showing pak 43 usage against competent opponents? That might be helpful too.
2 Jan 2016, 07:33 AM

Only build it behind obstacle or building somewhat to the rear in 2 vs 2 or above.Its only useful if it has not been spotted till it gets its first hits on an ennemy tank.It will have paid for itself in that first engagement.
2 Jan 2016, 11:35 AM

Not useful, you are wasting a doctrine choice for having that piece of crap that will get countered in 2 seconds
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★