Login

russian armor

COH2 Replays..Am I Missing Something Here?

29 Jun 2013, 00:49 AM

I love watching Replays. I find that when I watch them, I am always learning how the Great Players come out on top. However, when I LEFT click on the DL button, all I get is a Screen of HTML gibberish. I presently have to RIGHT click the DL button, pick "save target as", then pick "all files" over "html", edit file by removing a "." and add ".rec" to file name and finally pick "save as" to save to the appropriate playback file for COH2. This, I had to figure out for myself. It's a laborious task to say the least and not friendly for non-geeks. What am I missing here? If this is the true state of DL's here at COH2, then it will cause the loss of a lot of interest in the site.
29 Jun 2013, 01:01 AM
Senior Caster Badge

What browser are you using?
29 Jun 2013, 02:28 AM

IE 10. Latest.
29 Jun 2013, 02:46 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Ie for the loss. Your browser is trying to execute the replay file itself. You need to figure out how to make it recognize .rec files and download them by default.

outside of changing browsers, right-click and save-file-as might be your best bet.
29 Jun 2013, 03:02 AM
Senior Caster Badge

IE 10. Latest.

Alright, this leads to a followup question: why?
30 Jun 2013, 01:16 AM

Alright, this leads to a followup question: why?

Which leads to why not? I realize that IE has its shortcomings. But those of us who have reasons to view Chrome and Mozilla with less than enthusiasm, may use IE. This is my real point: I can go to GR.org and DL replays easily without undue complication and have done so for eons. Why would COH2.org place ANY impediments out there, if the goal of the site is to attract as many fans as possible? You DO realize that IE is the most popular browser out there, don't you?
30 Jun 2013, 02:05 AM
Senior Caster Badge

That was just out of personal curiosity. If you have issues with Chrome and Firefox, use Opera.
30 Jun 2013, 11:54 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Patrion 39

You DO realize that IE is the most popular browser out there, don't you?

It's not, and if I remember correctly even less than 10% of our visitors use IE.

The thing is that we only have so many coders who already do what they can to build this site. There is still a lot of work to do and I don't think they can afford to dedicate more time to optimize the site for a really small portion of the community.
30 Jun 2013, 13:23 PM

In coh2 replay thread we should discuss lack of forwarding etc , should not we?
30 Jun 2013, 22:26 PM

It's because coh2.org is not serving replays with a content-type header in the HTTP response. I know it seems like an IE problem, but it's actually a problem with how coh2.org is behaving. IE will attempt to display any content type by default, while Chrome only whitelists some content types.

You can test this by installing Fiddler, intercepting the HTTP message and adding a content-type header before it reaches the browser.

Serving anything without a content-type header is VERY BAD PRACTICE! The coh2.org team should resolve this ASAP, it's an extremely simple fix.
30 Jun 2013, 22:40 PM

Serving anything without a content-type header is VERY BAD PRACTICE! The coh2.org team should resolve this ASAP, it's an extremely simple fix.

its prolly just a volunteer site though.
these guys are not real pros, but i am sure they are trying their best.
30 Jun 2013, 22:42 PM

Sometimes effort is more important than results
30 Jun 2013, 23:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2013, 11:54 AMTwister

It's not, and if I remember correctly even less than 10% of our visitors use IE.

The thing is that we only have so many coders who already do what they can to build this site. There is still a lot of work to do and I don't think they can afford to dedicate more time to optimize the site for a really small portion of the community.

Thanks for the link Twister, I stand corrected. I had not realized that IE has fallen from No. 1 in 2008 to No.3 today, after Chrome and Firefox. It would be nice if our site was user friendly for all those who visit.
30 Jun 2013, 23:25 PM

its prolly just a volunteer site though.
these guys are not real pros, but i am sure they are trying their best.
I don't know what their backend is like, if they're using a CMS or what but I'd be happy to help them resolve this issue. For anyone with experience in whatever system they're using it really should be a dead-simple, one-line fix. I'd be happy to help if I could get read-only access to their source control or whatever, but that would require a lot of unearned trust.

But to be really honest if the guys behind this website don't know how to set an HTTP header then I'm shocked they have gotten this far. Although it would explain a lot of the quality issues with this website in general.
30 Jun 2013, 23:42 PM

agreed
1 Jul 2013, 00:08 AM

If you guys hate this website, why are you here?

Hell, I know for a fact Killian has said many multiple times that he didn't and wont buy coh2.
1 Jul 2013, 00:21 AM

Hell, I know for a fact Killian has said many multiple times that he didn't and wont buy coh2.

I never said I wouldn't buy it...I said I wouldn't buy it for $60.00, its not worth it. Come on! For $60, I expect a heck of a lot more out of a game then COH2 provides. I will buy it when it reaches a price I feel is not a rip off. I own COH1 and all the expansions, I play it! I belong here as much as you do.

And... I'm a She not a he
1 Jul 2013, 00:25 AM

What makes you say I hate it? I'm trying to help! So far I'm the only person here who has proposed a solution to this problem!

Jeez man, you know it's possible to criticize something without hating it, ya know?
1 Jul 2013, 01:20 AM

I never said I wouldn't buy it...I said I wouldn't buy it for $60.00, its not worth it. Come on! For $60, I expect a heck of a lot more out of a game then COH2 provides. I will buy it when it reaches a price I feel is not a rip off. I own COH1 and all the expansions, I play it! I belong here as much as you do.

So then why do you post in the coh 2 section about how much it sucks? Buy it when you want, but dont rip on the people who work on this site or those who work on the game.

But to be really honest if the guys behind this website don't know how to set an HTTP header then I'm shocked they have gotten this far. Although it would explain a lot of the quality issues with this website in general.

You can help without insulting the people who dedicate time to this site.

PS I would assume its an IE problem, because I can download replays fine in firefox
1 Jul 2013, 01:45 AM

CrazyGuy here is your exact quote

"Hell, I know for a fact Killian has said many multiple times that he didn't and wont buy coh2."

your facts are incorrect.
Killian has never stated she would not buy the game.

if you have a quote of her saying she would never buy the game then post it.

ffs, if you read her posts its clear Killian is female.
Also, Killian is a prominent female character in another very popular RTS universe.

you are uninformed and misinterpreted statements she has made.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 40
Russian Federation 79
unknown 55
United States 18
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L