Login

russian armor

Ostheer without T1/grens?

8 Dec 2015, 18:22 PM

Hello guys,
maybe someone has some tips for me how I can play without T1 / grens on open maps?
I've heard that just against USF / UKF (Sov I always play with several grenadiers) the grens works less well. The start with 1-3 mgs usually goes well but then I missing in the early to mid game the attack units. I tried it with fast 222, Callins or Pgrens:
Pgrens - too expensive / only for flanks helpful.
Sgrens - useless / too expensive
Osttruppen - only meat shield / no damage.
222 - can work but a fast USF captain and the thing is almost dead.
My impression is currently that (although not perfect) sooner or later you must have at least 2 mg grens.
(I am referring to 2v2 experience!)

Does anyone have same experience or who knows a strategy that works better without grens?

thanks

8 Dec 2015, 18:48 PM

Ostruppen are completely fine and in reality the only viable way to skip T1 (at least until mid game when you need to build it to unlock fausts).

Calling them "only meat shields" and "no damage" units ignores that they received buffs and fixes to their accuracy, and that 6 men with super cheap reinforce costs make them probably the most cost effective infantry in the game.

If you build 4 ostruppen, 1 mg 42, a 5th ostruppen, tech up, get 1 or 2 222s, and then get T1 for fausts, you will see much more success. Just stick to cover and garrisons, and suddenly osttruppen win most fights.
8 Dec 2015, 19:08 PM

Unfortunately, I disagree with you about your comment about the Ostruppen (I'm not saying you're bad when using Ostruppen)

Actually I'm not quite sure about this but Ostruppen units are IS version of Ost (excluding the reloading part and 280mp as cost) when in cover. So what are you going to do is put them in cover, as a group (remember, they only work well when going as a group) and I'm not saying that you should blob them because one HMG team will pinned them down faster than you have expected.

My personal go for Ostruppen is 2~3 Ostruppen in the first 10 minutes along with a MG42 team. Put your Ostruppen in cover when capping (as a team), and bring your Pio + HMG (as a team) to get as much as field control as you could. After that based on their units and I will go for different way:
a. if they field more troops => Ostwind.
b. if they field tanks (oh I love this) => try to bait them with 1 Ostruppen squad into your Pak range and faust it with as much Ostruppen as you could (you have spare muni so... use it) along with mines and S-mines.
8 Dec 2015, 19:20 PM

If you build 4 ostruppen, 1 mg 42, a 5th ostruppen, tech up, get 1 or 2 222s, and then get T1 for fausts, you will see much more success. Just stick to cover and garrisons, and suddenly osttruppen win most fights.

That sounds interesting!
So the mistake was to call only 1-2 Osttruppen. because these figures only from a certain mass of (spam)?
I'll test it once, Thanks! :thumb:

@Scaletta
Nice tips for mid game. I'll try it Thanks!:)
8 Dec 2015, 19:22 PM

That sounds interesting!
So the mistake was to call only 1-2 Osttruppen. because these figures only from a certain mass of (spam)?
I'll test it once, Thanks! :thumb:

@Scaletta
Nice tips for mid game. I'll try it Thanks!:)

Absolutely. Ostruppen in my experience is all or nothing. You don't mix grens with them unless you really need them late game. Snipers can work well too. 4 or 5 is the magic number of squads for me.
8 Dec 2015, 20:28 PM

i doubt that skipping t1 would work in 1v1s anyway... but i had moderate success in 2v2 and 3v3 with the 3xMG 1x Pio strat.
that gives you 2 pios and 3 mgs for the start. if you are playing random 2v2, you might be at a disadvantage though, because you will need mobile units from your partner.

dont forget that even after 3 MGs you can still elect to go T1 anyway... but in case you DO want to go T2, Pgrens are more or less your only choice. i don't really like osttruppen (haven't tried them lately though). One thing you have to make sure is to keep your MGs safe, because losing one and giving them the MG could spell disaster for your early.
9 Dec 2015, 03:41 AM

2 mg42,1 assgren(for prtecting mgs..not chraging),1 pio ,222,2 pzgrens,pak,pzgren.

stug,stug if t3 .
optional another pak .
Tiger

Lay mines all game.

One method.

May require backteching to mortars in some maps.
9 Dec 2015, 17:19 PM

i doubt that skipping t1 would work in 1v1s anyway...

En contraire ;) Especially vs Soviets and UKF, going heavy Osttruppen to skip T1 works great.
9 Dec 2015, 17:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Dec 2015, 17:19 PMmaritn

En contraire ;) Especially vs Soviets and UKF, going heavy Osttruppen to skip T1 works great.

as i said, i have no real experience with osttruppen or skipping T1 in 1v1s, can't really speak to that. in team games it works pretty well so i might have been wrong with my assumption. if you substitute grens for osttruppen it could work.
9 Dec 2015, 17:54 PM
Donator 11

In team games (4vs4) it is possible to skip grenadiers (and T1) and jump straight to panzergrenadiers instead, if I cap with 1 or 2 pioneers (equipped with flamethrowers) and secure the areas with several MGs. The Spearhead doctrine is good, because I can use 2 mortar HTs behind the MGs to kill the blobs that tries to attack the areas protected by MGs.

I don't know if this works in 1vs1.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS