Login

russian armor

pro at micro, suck at macro, advice?

21 Nov 2015, 07:19 AM

Hi

I have only recently started focusing on 1v1. Between this and my other account, I have around 1.8k hours of game play. But only after playing some more 1v1 I came to realize that I suck at the macro game.

My micro game is superb, not going to be humble or anything...

- all 10 number keys assigned to my most active units
- use all hotkeys in the game (grenades etc)
- can insta-dodge nades because I never mis-select units
- I even micro my tanks ALL the time to speed up angle selection (that is U in the right derection, so that the gun faces the target and I don't get ring-around-the-rosed)
- I can even bait enemy tanks shots (or force turret rotation) while my tank goes peek-a-boo from bushes
- When enemy is bombarding my base or forward headquarters when I'm healing my units, I take 2-2.5 seconds at most to move all my units out of the danger zone (in different directions that is) without panic retreating or blob-moving them

BUT THIS DOESN'T MATTER because I suck at the big picture

- often get flanked
- can't guess the enemy movement
- don't know when to play passive when aggressive
- always get territory/cut-offs taken away
- often get baited into traps

PLEASE PLEASE give me some advice on HOW to improve my 1v1 game. I watch the Propagandacast but it's not helpful. I might start watching some replays of my own but I wouldn't be able to tell if I'm having a bad game or just my opponent is too pro.

Sad face
21 Nov 2015, 08:16 AM

Get used to using the tactical map, default numpad zero. You can issue allot of commands from there.

Look at your replays, ask your self questions. Watching other peoples games is entertaining and might give you new strats or ideas, but its not gonna help you improve allot.

Honestly, if you use the tactial map things will be allot easier.

You see things easier, like a sniper or vehicle just quickly or accidentally popping by. You dont miss retreats or retreat to late, you dont have idle units.

Macro can only be attained through playing, there is no secret or short cut. Tactical map is something allot of people dont use, but handy. thats why I mention it. Replays will only have see your mistakes, wont affect macro. I doubt anyone can help you more than this, except by actually playing with you. :)
21 Nov 2015, 08:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2015, 07:19 AMmadbull

BUT THIS DOESN'T MATTER because I suck at the big picture

- often get flanked
- can't guess the enemy movement
- don't know when to play passive when aggressive
- always get territory/cut-offs taken away
- often get baited into traps

Firstly, welcome to the 1v1 scene, its challenging but its really where you get better at the game.

Your list is actually closer to micro than macro in this game. And I'm afraid it requires more experience than anything - after a while playing you may suspect traps and all of this. Probably the best thing you can do about it is play with a competent player in a 2v2 setting with voice comms and he will probably tell you what to do when it comes to these things.

Macro is more like - have I got the right unit composition to deal with what my opponent has, what does my opponent has, how do I deal with it, where do I place my units around the map.

PLEASE PLEASE give me some advice on HOW to improve my 1v1 game. I watch the Propagandacast but it's not helpful. I might start watching some replays of my own but I wouldn't be able to tell if I'm having a bad game or just my opponent is too pro.

Sad face

Personally, I don't like Propogandacast that much. I do prefer Ami/Luv or Ami/Romeo casts so OCF would be a good start. Check out the coh2.org youtube page.
21 Nov 2015, 13:28 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

@ OP: the best way out of your current dilemma is to select one or more of your replays where you have lost and do not really understand why. Then, post them in the relevant Strategy section, with a polite request for feedback as to how you could have played better.
21 Nov 2015, 14:06 PM

Just watch life games from top players in the game and analyze what and why they are doing.
21 Nov 2015, 14:59 PM

I hope the other's advice helps you out.

But, what you describe you suck as in the OP isn't macro: it's strategic decision making.
Macro is anything related to build orders and build timing, unit making decision making, and resource / resource territory management / decision making.
21 Nov 2015, 15:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2015, 14:06 PMJadame!
Just watch life games from top players in the game and analyze what and why they are doing.

This, and also try to watch the game in Tactical Map, this way you can only pay attention to flanks and gives you an idea about when to capture.
21 Nov 2015, 17:54 PM

Good points above like watching others, and your own replays, as well as rethinking your resource management, and unit composition.

Also remember:
- Only engage in fights you can win, unless the distraction is part of some larger strategy. Otherwise it is pointless to fight draws, or where you can lose easily. Fight when you have cover and they don't, fight when you are 2:1, otherwise withdraw or retreat.

- Cap off cutoff points, use the extra time they take to try to destroy it to mobilize a force against them, thus preventing the cutoff.

- All things being equal, the size of your army is the size of their army. Use this knowledge to help track where his units may be or where they may not be. For example: Early game, about 4-5 units on the field for each side. He spams 3 mgs, and has 2 inf units to your 4-5 riflemen.
You engage his mgs on one side of the map and try to outmaneuver them.
His inf are nowhere to be found.
His inf have had plenty of time to heal and move across the map.
He is NOT capping any of your points.
What the hell is his inf doing then? Probably the flank on your open side.
If he is capping your points, you can be sure he won't have enough to flank. If you just made them retreat from somewhere, you can be sure he won't have them available to flank.

Look at yourself, and how you play, and you will then understand more or less how your opponent plays. Of course there will be difference especially due to skill, but this is the starting point for understanding what your opponent is doing.
21 Nov 2015, 18:31 PM

you have to play the game alot!! so you can know the all factions unit timings.also you need to remember every unit your opponent has so you can flank or rush or scout or do whatever you need to do so you can be successful with out any surprises .By knowing faction timing and what you opponent has on the field you should automatically know what to do without screen hacking or looking threw the fog of war.

for example i know ostheer gets p4 in 15 minutes if you dont harass their fuel.so around 13 minutes i usually get anti tank weapons so i dont get surprised and lose game. knowledge like that will make you pro
21 Nov 2015, 18:56 PM

i wish i had never discovered the tactical map as i open it way too often. i think it made me worse :/
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★