Login

russian armor

mixed axis 2vs2

29 Sep 2015, 09:33 AM

hello, ive just got the game but i know coh 1 really well. ive had a lot of trouble in 2vs2 axis at with a friend. Allied infantry just rush in close to my infantry and destroy them. my paks miss a lot compared to coh 1 and also get wiped out my allied indirect fire which seems a lot stronger than axis indirect fire. i open with 3 volks into medic station then i make an infantry support gun and pak. i usually get swamped with this army and never can save up the fuel to compete with allied armour which comes in at around 30 minutes.
30 Sep 2015, 13:47 PM

Hello

OKW is a strange faction to play. They have a resource penalty meaning you have to do more with less. However they also have the best artillery and tanks in the game.

The problem with Axis is their units work much better in synergy whereas the allied units are generally better in individual engagements. You and your team mate need to focus on holding say 40% of the map and gradually work your way up to 100 popcap. If you can get there without losing on VPs you will be in a position to win.

Also, you have correctly noted that allied infantry are generally better at close range. However, this is where your sturmpioneer comes in. They shred everything except shocks at close range. They are not amazingly resilient until they gain vet though so keep them in cover. If he rushes your volks, you want your sturm there to fuck them up. Also kubel micro is essential here. You want it setup before he arrives for instant suppression. You can engage aggressively but your wagon will take some damage while the suppression "turns on".

This is by no means hard and fast, but it's what works for me in both 1v1 and 2v2:

1. Kubelwagon
2. Send sturm and kubel to their cutoff (or where you think they will go)
3. Suppress units with kubel and then rush in with sturms and force retreats or squad wipes.
4. Train 2 Volksgrenadiers - use them to cap by shift clicking so they do their job while you focus on the sturm and wagon combat.
5. They will eventually push you off with either an mg, sniper or a British wagon, as soon as this comes move your sturm away and proceed to cap. If your kubel is damaged, repair it in a sector while the sturm is capping. Efficiency is crucial as OKW. If you can keep your Kubel alive all game it can be used as a mobile suppressor and to encourage them to pull their armor away from your defenses if you use it on the flanks to support capping.
6. deploy tier 2 (medic building). Placement is important. Put behind buildings if possible to avoid AT gun sniping. Not too far out. Not too close to base. Each map is different.
7. This is where it becomes flexible. You want to move towards the final build order and get your tier 3 out asap. Convert fuel to munitions until you have shrecks on both volks squads then switch to fuel and aim for tier 4.
8. BUILD SANDBAGS WITH VOLKS. Whenever you are capping a sector setup some sandbags. Whenever they are healing, build sandbags. JUST BUILD SANDBAGS.
9. Melt down everything you see. Except in the early game dont steal support weapons you wipe, melt them down for fuel. The reason you do this is that your units are better then theirs and you don't want to blow your popcap on crappy units. If the choice is between quickly stealing it and leaving it, steal it and then flame grenade your support units later if you want to get rid of them :D I use scavenge doctrine and this will give you 15 munitions everytime you melt stuff down.
10. The Infared Halftrack is amazing. Use it. Use two in a 2v2 game as the maps are bigger. Defense becomes so much easier when you have more time to react.
11. MINES. OKW has a mixed AI/AT mine whereas your partner has to choose one or the other.
12. Your tier 4 flak truck should be used to cover 1 of the VPS, and 1 sector next to it. It should be placed behind buildings if possible to prevent AT sniping.
13. Repair your buildings with the Sturm if they start taking damage.
14. Don't get the retreat point unlock on the medic building until you feel like comfortable (probably around 50 popcap. If they drop offmap hatred on your forward HQ, turn it off and retreat your units to base, or just walk them out of the area of effect.
15. Place your infantry support guns in a ring around your medic building. They can reinforce constantly, fire constantly, and are spread out to limit damage from area of effect weapons.

Final army composition should be:

2 volks with shrecks (heavily vetted if possible)
1 sturmpioneer for repairs, mines and close range combat
2-3 infantry support guns for suppression and damage
1-3 at guns (swap out if you have more fuel)
1-2 panthers
1-2 Infared Halftrack (ESSENTIAL)

If you went defensive doctrine build mg bunkers as they dont use popcap. Let the Wehrmacht player build caches - in fact you should demand it from him because you cant build them. You can get two mgs early game to help you out too - though may as well just let the Wehr player do it as OKW machine guns suck.

If you went scavenge doctrine (my favourite), get the Flakpanzer to shoot down those annoying allied aircraft and fuck up infantry (from a distance). Careful, the Flakpanzer is squishy. Also, abuse the shit out of the grenade assualt, but only on suppressed units. It costs so little munitions and forces a retreat or squad wipe. Once you get good with the timings you can toss it in front of the squad as shocks rush in and it will damage them heavily. You can do the same thing with the incendiary grenade. The incendiary grenade is better used on support weapons as it is a lot faster. As scavenge doctrine the light recon squad is fairly cheap, good for capping and fire support from a distance. They can also be used to booby trap points.

As for your Wehrmact partner, I'm no expert but I'd say a balanced army is best. Get 2-3 mgs, 2 grenadiers, dont bother with mortars, 1-2 panzergrenadiers with shrecks. Then tech to armour. Don't bother with artillery as yours is better.

In 2v2 the walking stuka is good, though it's probably unnecessary due to the current state of the infantry support gun.

This strategy works well in 1v1 too. I have posted a replay of me in 1v1 vs a Soviet player.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight