Login

russian armor

How do you counter soviet scout cars w/ flamers?

19 Jun 2013, 17:29 PM

We all know scout cars with flamers are really strong for both sides but I can counter them relatively easily when I play soviets by using AT grenades from my conscripts and with the soviet AT gun which seems vastly superior to the pak. I really am not a big fan of the pak and try to avoid getting one as much as I can but I feel like its the only option to counter soviet scout cars with flamers. Getting panzshreks on grens is expensive and even with it grenadiers die so fast to scout cars with flamers. Panzerfausts from grenadiers seem really unreliable and don't always hit, and using either of those two things usually means I won't have enough munitions to upgrade my own scout car especially on maps with only one munition point. I don't want to use paks but I don't see how else to counter scout cars. Anyone have any opinion on this?
19 Jun 2013, 19:46 PM

Fausts *always* hit except for a possible bug if you retreat them right after. They tend to do enough damage to take them down with small arms fire afterwards. A double-faust will basically always kill a scout car.

The upgunned scout car is my preferred counter. Makes very short work of it.
19 Jun 2013, 20:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jun 2013, 19:46 PMBlovski
Fausts *always* hit except for a possible bug if you retreat them right after. They tend to do enough damage to take them down with small arms fire afterwards. A double-faust will basically always kill a scout car.

The upgunned scout car is my preferred counter. Makes very short work of it.

Ah, well when I posted I had just played a game where they missed but I must have experienced the bug you're talking about. If they can't miss then yeah its probably a pretty effective counter.
20 Jun 2013, 00:37 AM

Actually, I find that the T2 start counters the scout car really nicely.

What I do

Pio->T2->Muni OP -> PGren -> Scout car ->Pgren and maybe another scout car if they're starting to build snipers.

The Muni OP is so that, by the time I get the scout car out, I can get the upgun up for the scout car or a bundle for the first PGren which he would sorely need.

I've been trying this out for quite a while now, and, I think it's great against the Russki T1 because scout cars do counter snipers + clown car and PGrens for the cons.

The thing is with T2 - if the russkis build this, it forces me to get the HT for flanks. But then they wouldn't have snipers and clown car.

EDIT: I actually find a non-upgunned Scout car is actually pretty decent against Cons. Sure, it can get pretty gimped by a AT nade, but, by that time, you might kill 2 cons and Scout cars are cheap. With PG support, if the Cons want to AT nade it, it's kinda suicidal.
20 Jun 2013, 05:48 AM

If you want, I'll post up a replay when I can, but here's how I do it anyway.

http://www.twitch.tv/hubewa/b/419367724

Apologies for the video quality, I'm trying out the new twitch thing so yeah...
20 Jun 2013, 09:41 AM

I've usually got 4 approachs to countering this. I vary my decision on current map control, fuel/munition count and opportunties which arise.

• Faust - I always incorporate 2 gren squads into every one of my build orders because they are good infantry but also counter the scout car well. The moment I know my opponent has a scout car, I will immediately keep my 2grens and 1-2 mg42s near one another. You do not want to be overextended because otherwise the scout car will go across all your lines and remove your units 1 by 1 and hence you lose all map control. If the Russian player overcommits just simply double faust that scout car and your MG's clean up the rest. It is more a problem if snipers are used doing this, then you just have to hide and go t2 asap.

• Teller mine - Situational dependant on your map control. If you expect a scout car, put it down in a tight choke and bait that scout car in. You can afford to sometimes get 2 tellers in the early game if you succesfully fight hard for munitions. 1 is enough though, float the rest for fausts in my opinion.

• Upgunned Scout Car - If I am low on fuel and know I have to settle for t2 (most the time), I'll get an scout car and upgrade it with the autocannon AC upgrade. This is highly risky though because a well microed scout car + guards will win. Make sure you lead out your AC with infantry.

• Panzer 4 - Go t3 and get a p4 tank. Obviously this will only happen if you retain fuel and have a bit of an early game advantage. If you stall them out well though, this is viable.

All in all I find the duel fausts being by far the best option as it lets me deal with them and still maintain map presence. I either set up a ambush by hiding both grens, but sometimes if you catch your opponent in an awkward spot a single faust + gren/mg will do the job. Just make sure your certain you can kill it with small arms fire when doing this, otherwise they repair back up pretty quickly.

Until shrecks get a reduced back to a single shreck to 75 munition. Your best T2 option is the upgunned scout car. Once you kill the scout cars with it just keep it in the safe rear of army or as quick recon unit. It can really shine in finishing off a damaged su76 or t70 tank.
21 Jun 2013, 11:17 AM

I use s mines and lure a scout car over it, that takes care of the scout car and if you are very lucky the combat engineers aswell
24 Jun 2013, 15:21 PM

I find it fairly easy to counter scout cars with flamers for one reason. Map control. It takes the Russian player a decent amount of time to build the T1 building. Don't waste munitions on rifle grenades.

ALWAYS secure a munition point within this time period. Keep your grens moving, and taking points. As soon as you have 25 fuel (usually after 3rd T1 unit), upgrade to T2. If you start getting harassed, just hide two gren squads together in a tight spot to lure the car.

If you can't double faust, DONT. If you have to chase the car, DONT. Reasons being, you won't have 70 munitions for scout car upgrade or you'll lose man power getting kitted. As soon as you lay down T2, build the scout car and upgrade it. Chances are early M3s aren't supported by cons with AT nades, because of fuel/MP limitations (EARLY FIRST T2 ENGAGEMENT). Keep a gren squad (or a pio to repair) with your Upgunned scout car to secure areas/ support it.

Usually the first burst will take out the scout car, this is a big hit to the Ruskies, and if you take advantage of this, the game could be over quickly. Also, MAKE SURE you know a scout car is there, this is a reactive strategy. If you see an Maxim, get a Flame HT instead, but watch out for AT nades and AT Guns.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 42
Germany 666
Netherlands 15

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak