Login

russian armor

[Southern Fronts] Panzer Crossing (General) - Help!

22 Sep 2015, 01:10 AM

Hi guys,

I have scoured the web for any kind of tips but I just keep getting hammered on this mission by mortars and artillery that back up their 5-6 tank rush on my positions on General. Seems like the last few patches might have made this harder. I've tried Soviet Industry but still can't seem to get enough fuel in time to stop their inevitable advance, and using Guards Motor was even more useless since the map is so big and Guards get shredded.

Last game I tried capping almost the entire map then holding with 4 AT guns and a few maxims by the Eastern point. I stop the first wave of tanks then they bum rush me with more tanks, 2 mortars firing on AT guns, and LMG/Flamer infantry, plus the Artillery commander who drops all kinds of hell. By the time they wiped 3 of my AT guns (ZiS-3's), they rush the Pak43 and mortar the crap out of it. If I counter-mortar, the AI just moves their mortar team a few inches and resumes shelling my AT guns perfectly.

Here are a few resources I found:

Some guy on Youtube using conscript spam which I think doesn't work anymore

Somebody commenting on a Steam thread about how to beat it (Personally, by the time I have enough CP/Fuel to field a KV2 the map is lost).

The great Steam Guide for Theater of War missions linked in another post, but the guy hasn't posted the later Southern Fronts missions, including this one.

Any ideas, or am I just screwed this patch?

22 Sep 2015, 05:06 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Hmm, I remember this one and I remember having some difficulty with it, though not precisely what.

I think I was trying to use the PAK-43 too much

I shall give it a look later
22 Sep 2015, 06:27 AM

I finally did it! MUHAHAHAH I knew there had to be a way.

Ended up using the Soviet Reserve commander which gave me Partisan Tank Hunters, and Conscript PPSH/repair. Managed to capture a Pak40 pretty early on which was HUGELY important. Other than one Scout Clown Car for my flamer engies, I spammed the f*ck out of Partisan Tank Hunters / Conscripts and just proceeded to outmaneuver their tanks to defend mid and east points. Spent almost no fuel but a TON of manpower. The AI is so damn smart, it never gets in range of the Pak43 ever unless it knows the game is already over, so this was the only way to do it.

This Partisan guide was really helpful (Thanks VanVoort!), though I didn't end up using the commander suggested because I wanted Conscript PPSHes and repair. I didn't realize that the Soviet Reserve commander gives Tank Hunters and not "Irregulars" now. FYI All 7-8 of my Partisan Tank Hunter call-ins spawned with Panzershrecks. Not a single PTRS squad. Wonder if this changed recently?

It was critical to be able to use Oorah to close gaps fast with my Conscripts for tossing AT grenades, and to PPSH mortars and snipers when possible. I spent every single munition I had and manpower too, but finished with like 300 unspent Fuel because I needed those Tank Hunters reinforced more than I needed T4.

I used the Partisan accuracy Bulletin in the hopes that it affected Tank Hunters too (does it?), and used two Conscript cooldown/reload bulletins to buff them a little.

Some of the most intense RTS play vs. the computer I've had in a long time and I have played Relic games a LOT. WHEW!

22 Sep 2015, 09:56 AM
Honorary Member Badge

And there was I ready to give it a runthrough but you neat me to it

Yes the last patch swapped out Irregulars for AT-Partisans and AT-Partisans now ONLY come with Shreks, which makes them very good overall and very very good in TOW where no one else has Shreks at all.

Have you done Kharkov Pursuit yet?
22 Sep 2015, 15:49 PM

And there was I ready to give it a runthrough but you neat me to it

Yes the last patch swapped out Irregulars for AT-Partisans and AT-Partisans now ONLY come with Shreks, which makes them very good overall and very very good in TOW where no one else has Shreks at all.

Have you done Kharkov Pursuit yet?

Yep, those "lasershreks" were the key. Might want to update your great Partisans guide at some point so people realize they can get AT-Partisans with guaranteed shreks now too!

I remember attempting Kharkov Pursuit like two years ago, reducing to *Captain* difficulty, still losing, and giving up in frustration. Any tips for that one? This guy on steam has a pretty good set of guides.
22 Sep 2015, 16:08 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Yes we are working on updating everything, however Partisans right now are due for a hotfix debuff again so I am waiting for it to settle

There is a thread on Kharkov

http://www.coh2.org/topic/8701/case-blue-kharkov-pursuit--general-difficulty
22 Sep 2015, 16:19 PM

Thanks! Will definitely post in that thread if I get stuck. Currently enjoying the relative ease of Retreat to the Donets with the free Meatchopper M5.
24 Sep 2015, 08:47 AM

Hi guys,

I have scoured the web for any kind of tips but I just keep getting hammered on this mission by mortars and artillery that back up their 5-6 tank rush on my positions on General. Seems like the last few patches might have made this harder. I've tried Soviet Industry but still can't seem to get enough fuel in time to stop their inevitable advance, and using Guards Motor was even more useless since the map is so big and Guards get shredded.

Last game I tried capping almost the entire map then holding with 4 AT guns and a few maxims by the Eastern point. I stop the first wave of tanks then they bum rush me with more tanks, 2 mortars firing on AT guns, and LMG/Flamer infantry, plus the Artillery commander who drops all kinds of hell. By the time they wiped 3 of my AT guns (ZiS-3's), they rush the Pak43 and mortar the crap out of it. If I counter-mortar, the AI just moves their mortar team a few inches and resumes shelling my AT guns perfectly.

Here are a few resources I found:

Some guy on Youtube using conscript spam which I think doesn't work anymore

Somebody commenting on a Steam thread about how to beat it (Personally, by the time I have enough CP/Fuel to field a KV2 the map is lost).

The great Steam Guide for Theater of War missions linked in another post, but the guy hasn't posted the later Southern Fronts missions, including this one.

Any ideas, or am I just screwed this patch?

Try using Elefant and Tiger / ISU IS2 call in. it's an auto win.

If you really have trouble i can do a video on that
24 Sep 2015, 15:47 PM

Try using Elefant and Tiger / ISU IS2 call in. it's an auto win.

If you really have trouble i can do a video on that

I actually beat it with AT Partisans (see post above). Thanks for offer of help!
24 Sep 2015, 15:53 PM

Permanently Banned

The AI is so damn smart

No it is not, it cheats.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 26
Germany 7
unknown 4
unknown 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10